Hello Guest

Author Topic: I am thinking about starting a dinner party?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
I am thinking about starting a dinner party?
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
so as the title says, I am thinking about starting a dinner party.

has anybody done this before or currently doing something like this? 

please share good/bad/indifferents/etc with all of us.

my sister sent me this as kind of a starter:  https://pinchofyum.com/dinner-club
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I am thinking about starting a dinner party?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Sounds fun.  Don't think my wife would allow that for me.  I tend to be the guy that would look across the table at a lib who makes a statement and flat out say " you sure are a special kind of stupid"......dinner over.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »
I can understand that TRN, cause I would do the same thing.  but remember, you are the one who makes the guest list.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:26 AM »
It’s a neat idea - it’s probably the type of thing that might HELP a libtard evolve over time.  Develop relationships and actually have conversations within a group of people could help make snowflake syndrome less likely to occur.  Given your corporate background Charles, I’m sure you could supply the information for the libtard across the table to come to their own conclusion that they are a special kind of stupid!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
I seem to use all my patience for stupid at the office.  Once I'm home I tend to have a shorter fuse.

I actually have a few liberal friends, soley because they can have a fact based conversation.  What I find is that we actually agree on about 80% of things but the 20% we don't is a difference in philosophy.  They think government is the answer and I think government is the problem.  Its ok to agree to disagree.

Nate, if you have a group of people that you think a compatible, go for it.  I like the idea of a web site or someother way to avoid all the back and forth via text.  We used to do that years ago when we first got married and had no money (well, not that we have any now, but back then it was thin)  We called it "sketti" night.  One couple would make the spaghetti and the rest would bring beer and sides.

I think it was more about drinking and being social that the spaghetti.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
I like it
I think we should all meet at my farm some day
and
each cook his fav dish
and
we all just sit around and eat and fellowship
Maybe even have someone give a sermon
That would be really great!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »
Don, you had me until the "each cook his fav dish" part.  I might have to stop by Charles' with a fifth in hand.... hope he likes to barter!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
Great idea Nate. We call it poker night. :) Change who hosts every month and other bring the beer and snacks. Might have to start the dinner portion of it.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:07 AM »
Don, you had me until the "each cook his fav dish" part.  I might have to stop by Charles' with a fifth in hand.... hope he likes to barter!

Ken, you can't cook either?

Then maybe you and I should just be judges

Yea, that's it, peeps who can't cook still know how to eat, right?

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
We do a very similar thing...well when we had a house and room we did.  We also include a small devotional.  Good opportunity to get people to start thinking about issues, faith and Christ.
Exodus 14:14

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »

Don, shrimps in foil with Old Bay Seasoning, over the grill is cooking - just need to set a timer!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »

You bet.  And Im cheap too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
I love my neighborhood. Every Friday we meet next door for refreshments and the guys rotate smoker/grill duties... usually ribs or some kind of game. I make up for not cooking by bringing store bought dessert and/or refreshments.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
If we all cooked what we like at the farm we would be there for months,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »

Don, shrimps in foil with Old Bay Seasoning, over the grill is cooking - just need to set a timer!
;-)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
In my old neighborhood we started off with a W.W.W. or whining women's Wednesdays, where the men cooked, while the women socialized. we'd agree on a home, a main dish which the homeowner always supplied, along with a good amount of fine libations, and each of us would bring an accompanying side dish and wine/scotch/whiskey to contribute. we were all in relative walking distance and most of them were retired snow birds; Lt Colonel, former Lawyer for GM Corp. former Head loan officer for BOA, to name a few. after dinner was served the men would usually retire to the back decks or poker rooms and indulge in a cigar and usually a brown spirit or two. I raised my kids at these things and with the caliber of people involved, they learned how to properly socialize, how adults should indulge (responsibly), what really good food should look like, how their dates should be treated and vice versa, what hard work and investment of time and character will get you in life, good politics with occasional ribbing of the 1-2 libs of 12+ republicans and that we were not the only people that said grace before dinner. Several of the key members passed away and really took a toll on the group which still meets occasionally for celebrations etc. but I wouldn't trade those weekly meetings for anything. I think you find the right group, come up with a decent framework for what it should look like and go for it.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal