TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Logan 820 vintage shop lathe 10 x 24

<< < (2/9) > >>

stlaser:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on August 09, 2018, 06:44:51 AM ---Shawn I’d love to have a lathe about that size.  I have a lot to learn and haven’t run one since metal shop in high school.

Keep me in mind if you get your new shop and want to off load that one.

Maybe by then I’ll have a good place for one. Gotta add onto the shop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
:likebutton:

stlaser:
Kind of a cool thing I stumbled across in researching this Logan 820 Lathe is a website run by Scott Logan who sells parts / manuals etc for the lathes his family produced.

http://www.lathe.com/

The other website I have been using a lot for information is home shop machinists

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

Charles, on occasion these guys are selling machines I have found too. So you may be able to pickup something nice in your area from here.

stlaser:
Got the lathe home and unloaded onto shop floor (threw ramp down and slide it out), long day. Inspection of unit went well. Guys wiring was a bit sloppy but it runs. I will clean that up, he did use nice switches and electrical parts though. Lathe is pretty tight, the left cover was busted and someone tried to weld it. I’m going to find a solid replacement & swap it out. Back lash is about half a turn on the Y axis, so not great but not a full turn so definitely useable. It disassembled easily, older retired guy has 5 lathes roughly this size & this was worst one by far. He’s a former marketing executive who’s main client was Coca Cola. I got along with him well & we had a great discussion / banter as we broke this down. He wanted $1200 for this unit & I paid him that no haggling on my part. I believe at first he thought he was going to have to break the unit down & well I just kinda took over and he let me. Very helpful and I’m happy so far with my purchase.

Flyin6:
I think that is cool!

stlaser:
Made my first purchase from lathe.com this morning which is Scott Logan's website, I order a manual and parts list. They allow you to either just download a manual ie no shipping cost or add shipping cost and you can download the manual and they will then ship you a printed spiral bound copy too. I opted for both, I like hard copies in shops, it's like wet dew in the morning and just smells right!

First project on this will be a mod to Baylee’s XJ’s steering. The bolts need drilled for press in grease zerks as the xj has become a little squeaky as of late.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version