Hello Guest

Author Topic: Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 5 (Duramax Conversion)  (Read 2020 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 5 (Duramax Conversion)
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2022, 05:50:24 PM »
I like the rims and sounds like a sound decision was made

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2022, 05:53:45 PM »
Yea, the decision feels "Right" and proportional to the need
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »
OK Folks, I am throwing in the towel on this Burb as a gasser project.

After a super effort spanning a couple of years, I have finally come to the conclusion that the gas 6.0 will never work in this application.

Stock, the truck could get out of its own way, barely but suffered from poor mileage and I doubt it would be worth a crap pulling a camper up over the divide.

Even with a supercharger, it has been only marginally better. A lot more power, but still mileage so poor as to relegate it to a truck to be used on short trips only.

I looked into converting it over to a 12 valve Cummins and I could do that but not with retaining the stock gage cluster and all those wonderful features that make the suburban a great truck to drive and own.

As Charles has said all along, the only thing that would make sense and last would be to transplant a Duramax which the 2400 Silverado's came with.

So, moving forward, I will purchase a donor silverado and remove everything duramax related from it, then just plug all that back together inside the Suburban. I'll probably rebuild the motor and trans and maybe the T-case too, since I think the D-max uses a 63 T-case in lieu of the 46 case I currently own. Anyway, standby for a standby as I source a donor truck

I highly recommend you find an entire running truck for this project, hopefully a running and driving example but a COMPLETE truck either way. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2022, 09:55:26 PM »

After a super effort spanning a couple of years, I have finally come to the conclusion that the gas 6.0 will never work in this application.

Stock, the truck could get out of its own way, barely but suffered from poor mileage and I doubt it would be worth a crap pulling a camper up over the divide.

Even with a supercharger, it has been only marginally better. A lot more power, but still mileage so poor as to relegate it to a truck to be used on short trips only.

I looked into converting it over to a 12 valve Cummins and I could do that but not with retaining the stock gage cluster and all those wonderful features that make the suburban a great truck to drive and own.

As Charles has said all along, the only thing that would make sense and last would be to transplant a Duramax which the 2400 Silverado's came with.

So, moving forward, I will purchase a donor silverado and remove everything duramax related from it, then just plug all that back together inside the Suburban. I'll probably rebuild the motor and trans and maybe the T-case too, since I think the D-max uses a 63 T-case in lieu of the 46 case I currently own. Anyway, standby for a standby as I source a donor truck

I highly recommend you find an entire running truck for this project, hopefully a running and driving example but a COMPLETE truck either way. 
Phil, the project has evolved a little past this point from the past...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2022, 08:11:41 AM »

Phil, the project has evolved a little past this point from the past...

I meant as a donor for parts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal