Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bear9350's Home Remodel  (Read 9818 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Bear9350's Home Remodel
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »
After the trusses were up the next couple of weeks/ weekends were dedicated to getting the sheeting on the addition, the house wrap on and roof sheeting on and shingled.

At some point we got the flooring down in the attic trusses which would become the master bath.

Also I was working on getting the interior stud work done upstairs.  It took about a week and weekend to get everything studded out.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
I don't have a whole lot of pics of the next month's work.  With the framing done the electrical, HVAC and plumbing could be done.  I hired out the HVAC and plumbing and ran the electric myself.  The plumbers were great, HVAC not so much.  We had to call them day after day for updates and to keep pushing them to get done. We were told if would be a 2 week job no problem.  It took 9 weeks to get heat.  This was in late Oct and the plumbers and myself were starting to get concerned about the possibility of pipes freezing.  Nearly 6 months later I am still waiting for them to finish patching some holes they unnecessarily punched through the side of my house.

Also during this time period we had a new well drilled.  The old well was below ground which is not to code.  For about 2 grand we could have extended the well casing above ground.  If we did that there was still a chance the old well casing would not be deep enough to be to code.  Also we has border line high nitrates in the water.  The well driller we spoke to new the area well and guessed the old well was only about 30 feet deep.

We decided it wasn't worth trying to save the old well and shelled out a little more to have the new one drilled.  I believe the new well is a little over 110 feet deep with low nitrate levels.  When they capped the old well they did confirm it was about 35 feet deep and never would have been able to be brought up to code. 

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
110 feet deep is still nice and shallow, so it must not have been too expensive.  My well is 380 feet deep and is similar to others around this area of IL and IA.  Someone once told me that our aquifer is actually water that originates in Canada somewhere.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
110 feet deep is still nice and shallow, so it must not have been too expensive.  My well is 380 feet deep and is similar to others around this area of IL and IA.  Someone once told me that our aquifer is actually water that originates in Canada somewhere.

Total was about $5500 I think.  That was with new pump, pressure tank and capping the old well.  The old pressure tank was underground with the well.  Cheaper than I had originally thought it would be.  No 100 ft isn't real deep but it is still much improved on what we had.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Wow. my bro in law is at 630 here in Texas.  Thats nice.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »
Wow. my bro in law is at 630 here in Texas.  Thats nice.

Is that normal?  Up here 300 is real deep.  A lot of people are around 100.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 07:09:33 AM »
Parts it is.  Sometimes its to reach good water and not just water.  I think he could have been in water shallower but to reach better quality they had to go deeper.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »
Also about volume.  Around here you can have a shallow well around 12-15 ft in some places.  Ok for an occasional use irrigation system, not so much for constant residential use.  Mine for the house is about 190 and I am 40 miles from the coast.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
That is similar to around here.  Most places you would hit some water around 30 ft or so.  Good water around 100. Of course it varies some only need to go to 50 to get good water and some are around 300.  I would guess since I am so close to the great lakes it we have good water closer to the surface than some places.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
As soon as the plumbing was ran the full upstairs bath was plumbed.  A toilet was hooked up with a laundry tub being used as a sink.  Also the shower was hooked up and fully functional.  We had been showering in the camper shower all summer so it was nice to be use a full sized shower with no limits on hot water again.  The wife was extremely happy about that.

When the plumbing, electric done we started putting drywall on the ceiling of the second floor.  The following week the HVAC was finally routed and the furnace operational.  At the end of the week the crew to insulate came in.  They blew cellulose into the attic of the main house and spray foamed everything else.  We had all the walls foamed and the roof of the addition foamed also.  Because of the attic trusses it would have been difficult to get an adequate amount of insulation and enough air flow in this area.  We decided it would just be better to foam up the wall and straight to the peak.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
They started insulation on Thursday and they were just pulling out Friday afternoon around 3:30 when I got home from work.  The goal was to get as much drywall hung over the weekend as possible.

I had enough people to split up in two crews.  One working upstairs finishing up the walls ( ceiling was already done before the blown in cellulose went in the attic) and the other downstairs working on the ceiling.

By the end of the first day most of the ceiling was done downstairs and the majority of the walls were done upstairs.

It took me the next two weeks and a weekend to finish hanging drywall in all the corners.  I was in the house working until 3:00 AM finishing up the last bits and clearing the house out for the crew to come in to do all the tape/ mud work.  That was one job I new I didn't want to attempt myself.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
Lots of work, looks like you'll have a very nice home when it's all done.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal