Hello Guest

Author Topic: DIY Solar Water Heater  (Read 1191 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
DIY Solar Water Heater
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
Well, since we have a new forum and I have played with this some, here is my take on a simple DIY water heater.

Sure you have seen pictures and some how too's but everyone has diff needs so "roll" your own!

I used this on my above ground pool and it worked great. I let it freeze one year (yep it does that here too) so I have moved on to real panels now that I get on GL for about nothing. (another thread on this)

I used just 1 roll (100') I believe and got 95F+ out of it in direct sunlight, showing about a 5-10F rise from the cooler pool.

I used the included pool pump (intex) and garden hose sucking from the filter onto the roof of a shed (8ft rise) and running into the above ground pool. Just used 1/2 drip line (cheap).

Here is a link also to a little more on it; http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/diy_pex_solar_hot_water_thermal_dn.htm
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• View Profile
Re: DIY Solar Water Heater
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »
So you just had the water pump into the hose.....run through the entire coil and back into the pool? Very cool.....er....hot. YouknowwhatImean....I like simplicity. 

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
When I lived down south, we had an above ground as well. On my fence around it I ran about 100 feet of 1 1/4" I think with flow control valves and it did quite well.
I tee'd off of the big circulation pump, and adjusted flow as needed for heat.
Once warm enough valves the inlet off so as not to burn he chlorine off so fast.
It worked great.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
Yep, just that simple and it worked good. Ever pick up a hose laying in the sun? Well thinner hose, longer run and you have a good system.

Now that would be great at the Farm for those end of day showers.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
I tried to make something sort of reverse like that for my homemade zamboni....bought a metal trash can...bought a 50' (or so) roll of copper tubing...filled the trash can with water and put the coil of copper tube in the water....heated it with my turkey frier....water came out of the house....through the tubing then to the hose that I ran out to the pond. But it took forever and never really got hot enough to make a difference making ice so I scrapped it.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
These systems tend to raise/lower the temp 5-10* based on the fluid coming in. Thats why for pools and water heaters they work well as they recirculate the water.

Great for a house as you could keep the house water warmer all the time for instant use without wasting water.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal