Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dmax down and need advice, repair of CP3 fuel line leak.  (Read 4541 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Dmax down and need advice, repair of CP3 fuel line leak.
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:34:36 AM »
Guys, need some help asap, the max is down!! I was doing the wheel well fix for the larger tires (lots of pics for here) and thought I would open up the little orifice for the fuel rail while I changed the fuel filter lines.

While trying to get the line loose, I noticed that the fitting on the pump was turning with it, so I just tightened the upper fitting back up and now the max won't start. I can see fuel leaking from the fitting, not sure if the hard line is tweaked, but figure it is. No codes but no run either. I can pump up the fuel with the hand primer, but it never gets hard to pump now.

Still fighting the loosing prime issue and tried this at the same time. I did put new fuel lines on from the filter to the engine but see there are others in there too.

Do you think I can just re-torque the fitting and replace the line?

While I'm in there I see there are a couple more rubber lines, but a lot more work to get to!!

I am in a fix and need the max for a scout trip in 4 days!!!

THX!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:00:57 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Dmax down and need advice ASAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
you say fitting on the pump........are you meaning the CP3 or something else?  because the only way you will be able to get to the 2 2-3" rubber  ilnes on the CP3 is by removing all of the stuff on top of the CP3. 

if i am remembering correctly, it goes from the filter head to rubber line to right in front of the EGR/up pipe to hard line across the engine to the short little rubber lines on the CP3?

we need a pic ar 10 please.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
If you changed the hoses, you'll have to pump it like 60 times, maybe more.....definately need a pic of the leak. if the bottom fitting loosened up, you need to take the line off (or loosen it at least) to tighten, or use a crows foot?.?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
Ugh, no good JR. send some pics of the offending lines/area of concern. I'll see what I can come up with here. I have our old head tech back working for us and he's got an lbz as well and is well versed in her.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
It is the fitting below this fitting that goes into the CP3 pump. I was going to put on a ported fitting on the other end. I turned it maybe 1/4 turn then realized the problem and tightened it back down.

When I pump it now it doesn't get firm like before, but it seems to pump fuel fine.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
When I ran mine out of fuel, I pumped and pumped for what seemed like hours. It wasn't until I purged it from the front Schrader valve which I guess is a pressure testing port, but it burped out a ton of air even when the bulb was stiff. my guess was that the air bubble was being compressed and sucked back in over and over until I cleared it. It took that, and another guy pumping the primer bulb while I was cranking to get it to turn over and even then still took about 20 min to get it to fire.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
Last time I had to use a shop vac to pressurize the tank to push fuel through.  I must have pumped for an hour before I did that.  Once I pushed fuel up with the shop vac, it started right up.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
Especially if you had a low fuel level in the tank when you took the lines off and introduced the air, they could siphon the lines back into the tank then you're trying to pull it back up hill. You've had the air sucking issue for a while now, I'm wondering if Matt doesn't have a good point and you need a little mechanical assistance to get the fuel back up where it needs to be.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »
i would 3rd pressurizing the tank and releasing the pressure from the valve in the front.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
Probably would used compressed air regulated down over a shop vac if you can...
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
Or just scrap it. I'll be there in the morning with a trailer to haul it off for you. It just isn't worth fixin'. Move on, buy something more reliable.
Just lookin' out for you. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »
Don't need a lot of pressure.  I was surprised that the shop vac worked so well.  Later I was informed that you didn't want to use much as it could hurt something.  Don't recall what.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »
Or just scrap it. I'll be there in the morning with a trailer to haul it off for you. It just isn't worth fixin'. Move on, buy something more reliable.
Just lookin' out for you. :)
And then there is Ken just trying to help anyway he can. Why mess with it, Best mechanic in AZ knows what to do.  :-\ 8)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
Yea...concur...Ken is up to something

I'll haul it off instead

What's the address? ;)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 02:56:32 AM »
Was out with the family today at Six Flags. Long day on 4hrs sleep. Get home and the neighbors kid is missing, grandma crying so I set off to the local bike trail to search for an hour. She came home while I was looking. Good news as she is a little "off" per say and would have been an "at risk" report.

Now I am dead tired and will tackle in the morning. I did talk to to Ken (he didn't volunteer to pick it up when I called??) Think I am good on parts was my main concern, but will know tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice, I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BD you have my address but I think I can fix it before you get here, but you are welcome to roll by!! 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »
Oh, can someone point out the purge valve and the torque for the fitting?

THX

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »
front of the engine, looks like it has a little tire type cap on it, should be right below the EGR and right above the alternator.

its the little black cap with the green mark on it just to the right of letter B in this picture below.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
I found a few pics besides this but thanks, verified!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline duramaxdarren

• self proclaimed nice guy
  • Registered
  • hooper drives the boat chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
I've often filled the fuel filter up with tranny fluid and it fires right up. This of course after 10 min of cranking cause it didn't keep the rpm after a filter change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07 gmc crew lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »
Pure transmission fluid does no harm??
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »
I have done it. No issues.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Dmax down and need advice, repair of CP3 fuel line leak.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:15:37 PM »
whats the verdict JR?

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Dmax down and need advice, repair of CP3 fuel line leak.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 12:11:42 AM »
Well, the repair is under way and started in the repair forum;

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1164.new#new

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal