Hello Guest

Author Topic: Happy National Airborne Day.  (Read 3122 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Happy National Airborne Day.
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
Yea that's right 75 years ago the U.S. Army officially decided that jumping from a plane was a good idea, after a platoon of volunteers decided to run with it and jump out of a plane, and in doing so started the ground work for the legion of badasses to follow.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

Re: Happy National Airborne Day.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
Congrats to whats been a fine bunch of warriors. And as a matter of curiosity, I wonder how the discussion went the first time they tossed a tank out of a plane? LoL

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
I wonder how the discussion went the first time they tossed a tank out of a plane? LoL

1: I bet it would work..

2. No way man, it's too heavy

1. Don't be scared.

2. Good point.

And for awhile there was a tank in the U.S. inventory that was air-droppable. The 82nd had it for awhile then it went away. M551 Sheridan, might have even been PRE- Don..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »
2. I wonder how big a hole this is gonna make.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
I do like watching the HMMWVs being dropped. 

Thanks Bobby, made me think of my uncle who passed last year. 82nd and later 88th as a demo expert.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:40:48 AM »
I do like watching the HMMWVs being dropped. 

Thanks Bobby, made me think of my uncle who passed last year. 82nd and later 88th as a demo expert.

It's cool view from inside the plane when they do. Some people told the new guys they had to ride in the HMMWVs when we dropped them so they can pull the slips.

I was at a charity event with the Vet based charity I'm part of, they put together a sky diving event and there was an WW2 vet, who was one of the parachute Marines in the Pacific, one did a combat jump in Korea. Since you're uncle was 82nd, you ever go to All American week? If not you might enjoy it, see all the units, jumps, competitions, BBQ, all the old Vets come back.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:57 AM »
I had no idea they did that Bobby.  I may have to plan a trip that way.  I'd like to eventually pick up an LMTV at auction and it might make for a great trip since most of the LMTVs at auction are at Ft. Bragg
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
I had no idea they did that Bobby.  I may have to plan a trip that way.  I'd like to eventually pick up an LMTV at auction and it might make for a great trip since most of the LMTVs at auction are at Ft. Bragg

Yea, it's a pretty good time. You'd have to google the dates.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »
just keep in mind RN that the 82nd folks have a wierd mind set.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:24 AM »
Nate, you've met Tex, right?. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
i have ken, and RN is normal compared to the AA.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
just keep in mind RN that the 82nd folks have a wierd mind set.

It comes with being awesome.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
If you are anything like my uncle, Bobby. I would have to agree.  He was a bona-fide bad ass and even when he passed he did it on his own terms. When he was younger, he would beat my dad for being disrespectful of my grandmother and when my dad's friends would try to step in and help he beat 3 of them with his blousing chains. He refused to give up living and at 77 years old had a Moto-Guzzi that he was told not to ride any more.  Even with his prosthetic arm from getting it blown off he rode until the end.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
If you are anything like my uncle, Bobby. I would have to agree.  He was a bona-fide bad ass and even when he passed he did it on his own terms. When he was younger, he would beat my dad for being disrespectful of my grandmother and when my dad's friends would try to step in and help he beat 3 of them with his blousing chains. He refused to give up living and at 77 years old had a Moto-Guzzi that he was told not to ride any more.  Even with his prosthetic arm from getting it blown off he rode until the end.
I love that spirit

Was one of those guys around here. Was roofing a shed at age 96 and fell off, ending his days. Talk about working right up until the end.

Don't listen to those who say slow down or stop riding or whatever. God build our bodies to work. I believe when you stop working, something inside us says, "Well, I'm no longer useful and contributing, so time to die."

God didn't create quitters!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
My two favorite motto's, Don.

A moving target is harder to hit
If I stop moving, someone will kick dirt on me.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »
Yup!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal