FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

The buzz about Stewie the Apiarist - He's Gettin' Bees!

(1/4) > >>

stewie:
This is the next chapter in the saga known as the life of "farmer _________" (insert stewie if you dont know my real name). My family now thinks i am nuts, i dont even tell my coworkers anything anymore because now i am "weird" and a "hippie". They can kiss my ass. I always say - everyone's a hater until they want fresh eggs or _______ (fill in the blank).

So @ the homestead fair in Belton, TX i pre-ordered a hive setup and a colony. I should be getting them in May. I am real excited. Honey opens the doors to so many lines of business, but also from a prep standpoint, i now have a sweetener, something else to ferment and make delicious beverages from, antiseptic and ingredients to make candles, etc.

A buddy up the road is a hive remover but most of what he's finding are africanized so i have to pay a boatload for a docile hive :(

My wife was stung for the first time 2 weeks ago, so she now refuses to help, so this is all me. She calls it the "box of pain". It's all me on this. I now need to learn the ins and outs and join a local apiarist club.

Honey production can be around 2 gallons the first year and increase after that.

Raw honey is good $ out in these parts. the yuppies and hippies will fight over it.

Farmer Jon:
I say good for you! I thought about getting bees myself. Its on my "somday" list.
When I started canning everyone called me a prepper. I'm not a prepper. I just got to missing my grandmas canned peaches. Decided instead of pouting about it make my own. When all the naysayers tasted my canned meat they changed thier minds real quick.
Don't be supprised if you have friends and family wanting some honey now.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
This is a real interest.  Please detail it for us and walk us through the hows and whys

And just in case , you might want to have an epi pen handy
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilbur:
I love this idea....and supposedly local honey made from local plants are good for allergies. All that said I'm allergic to bees so won't be having any on a property I have unless I "let" someone else do it and they're a mile away from me! Ha. Good luck. I agree you can get good money from it plus it will help your veggies and any fruit trees you have or plant.

KensAuto:
Interested in this as well. My wife's been bringing it up for a while now, even though (or because) I'm allergic to the sting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version