Hello Guest

Author Topic: 02 Burb, Part 6, The "evolution" thread  (Read 4566 times)

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 02 Burb, Part 6, The "evolution" thread
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2023, 06:35:53 PM »
But its payed for.
So is Don’s, you should straight up trade and then Don can give me your old one. Good deal all around. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2023, 07:30:38 PM »
I couldn't smog Dons, I jump through hoops now.

I see barn door burbs all the time.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
But its payed for.
So is Don’s, you should straight up trade and then Don can give me your old one. Good deal all around. ;)

Holy crap, wow, I never thought of that!
Let's get this done!

Not
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2023, 10:28:10 AM »
I have always had a love for Suburban's. Cool vehicles when you understand them and get past the soccer mom image thing. The 2500's are a clear departure from the suburban, suburban. Makes a proper truck out of the thing IMHO.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2023, 12:36:09 PM »
Ya know, just realized, I never jacked the burb up to do the test...Darn. I hate when I can't remember things I forgot!!!

I sent it to a detailer a couple of hours ago. He was convinced that the truck was going to come out amazing looking

We'll see...

I'm 99% certain the clutch is your issue and you have no need to rebuild. we build them very tight for initial break in, and you can overcome this clutch situation with a few alternating figure 8's in 4wd in the parking lot. might even be worth a try before jacking it up.
Its been awhile, Tate, but I finally got around to doing this.
I did a half dozen figure-"8s" in a parking lot reversing on each completion of the turn. So, now what am I looking for, Being able to rotate the front driveshaft freely?

On another note, I have had the burb up for sale for a couple weeks now and with some offers, but I keep turning them down or sending the buyer home. One thing is that I cannot in good conscience sell it to someone who I feel is financially struggling.
The other thing is, I really like that truck. It is cool, I like driving it and it costs me a couple hundred a year in insurance and registration, $500 tops. Is it just a keeper?

following up with Tech and will get back to you on it shortly. don't want to leave any stones unturned so i sent him our whole conversation from the jumping off point for his perspective.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »
Good news.

"An on demand  style tcase has active clutches  connecting the front driveshaft to the transfercase.  Even in 2wd, there is still residual friction from the clutch surfaces sliding causing felt drag on the drive shaft .  think of it like the clutches in a limited slip-  they allow for a controlled amount of power transfer at any given time.
When engaging 4wd manually,  this clamps down on said clutch pack with additional force , this exponentially increases break away torque .

In an non on demand case its all gear driven – its either connected or not.  That is why on a different style case it can be turned by hand in 2wd. This unit is on demand and the clutches are brand new and will break in over time."
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2023, 02:35:15 PM »
Good news.

"An on demand  style tcase has active clutches  connecting the front driveshaft to the transfercase.  Even in 2wd, there is still residual friction from the clutch surfaces sliding causing felt drag on the drive shaft .  think of it like the clutches in a limited slip-  they allow for a controlled amount of power transfer at any given time.
When engaging 4wd manually,  this clamps down on said clutch pack with additional force , this exponentially increases break away torque .

In an non on demand case its all gear driven – its either connected or not.  That is why on a different style case it can be turned by hand in 2wd. This unit is on demand and the clutches are brand new and will break in over time."

I love that answer just I like how we can get expert advice on drivetrain issues from Randy's with the click of a mouse button. I just lost several points on my blood pressure monitor!

Cool!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2023, 07:53:44 PM »

You can get a diesel in these new ones too…. Jus sayin

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2023, 08:44:02 PM »

You can get a diesel in these new ones too…. Jus sayin

Or the super charged 6.2 I think with 600+ Hp for 24?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2023, 08:55:51 PM »
Brothers, for 100K you can keep them too!

If money were not a question, I still wouldn't look at those.

The one abiding reason I like mine is that I built it myself. It's customized for just me, and it will still do a lot more work than any of this new 1/5 ton stuff...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2023, 09:53:26 AM »
Well with the diesel and without all the bells and whistles you can get one for about what you paid for your RAM.  I get the “build it yourself” sentiment.   One reason I’m so attached to the Bus.  But remember, even the 2001 has a computer subject to EMP in it.

We need something completely old school in the family.  Even if its just an old 4cly Jeep gasser with a spare coil and points in a 50 cal ammo can for spares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2023, 05:58:14 PM »
Well with the diesel and without all the bells and whistles you can get one for about what you paid for your RAM.  I get the “build it yourself” sentiment.   One reason I’m so attached to the Bus.  But remember, even the 2001 has a computer subject to EMP in it.

We need something completely old school in the family.  Even if its just an old 4cly Jeep gasser with a spare coil and points in a 50 cal ammo can for spares.

Ya, me too
While I was chatting with a prospective buyer for the thing and I just couldn't get there, I was thinking, now if that thing had a torquey big block with a carb and a points distributor on the shelf, I could make hay with it should the pooper chute open up. Take an extra 4l80E controller and wrap it up in tin foil and store it...
I don't think that truck is going anywhere anytime soon, and the thought of having something that would run no matter what has always intrigued me.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »
Or stashing a stock ECM for anything like that, just thinking?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2023, 08:15:10 PM »
or... just drive these simple old trucks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2023, 08:42:56 PM »
or... just drive these simple old trucks
I'm not going there
We all know what happens when I get ahold of something like that...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2023, 09:07:54 PM »
Yep, no registration then the boys get a sawsall!

What I like about my burb. Does use a controller for the trans, but they are less than $50 so will "store" 1 or 2.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2023, 09:02:42 PM »
I've been driving the truck a bunch lately.

And this is strange. I towed the Army trailer with it + cargo + 100 gal of diesel. Then i checked the mileage

It got 11.8

That's odd because it was getting 10.5-11.0 with no load prior to this. It just seems to be running really good.

Driving down there one day I was behind a tractor doing like 25. The tractor pulled off and I stood on it a bit too hard and it squealed the tires all the way until it upshifted to third! A tad more throttle and I would have lit them up like an old big block Chevelle.

Now why did this thing decide to just start running better???

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2023, 09:15:54 PM »
It got scared seeing the 2500 drive away.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
That is by no means saying keep it ...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:25:03 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »
Nate,
I'm afraid after trying to sell it, I have accepted, it is a keeper. I have invested a lot of actual money into it, and I could barely hope to recoup .20 cents on the dollar. Therefore, it stays with me.

And

I like the thing. I actually drive it more than the Jeep

It has a nostalgic feel about it. It is likely one of the best condition Suburban of that vintage left in the country. It is fun, has that great V* rumble, and has a lot of get-up-n-go that all combine to make it fun.

Nope, I think I'll keep it, and actually plan to put a new leather interior in it, fix the pesky anti-lock brake light, and the fuel gauge. I think the sending unit in the aux tank has failed, so I'll pull that 6-gallon tank and bolt in a 26-gallon tank with another sensor and see if I can double my range and get a fuel gauge that works.

I use it to pile the dogs into and drive to the farm, like every day for a week straight, and after pulling that trailer, I can say, that a supercharged 6.0 can definitely pull with little effort. I could accelerate to 70 uphill from the start with ease. I guess I am really, now, just discovering this truck's capabilities.

Finally, I need a project outlet vehicle. My Jeep is for simple bolt-ons, and I AM NOT going to do anything major to the Ram. But should someone drop a 540 BB Chevy on my doorstep, well, I think I'd find a way to slip it in between the fender wells.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2023, 08:04:29 AM »

Finally, I need a project outlet vehicle. My Jeep is for simple bolt-ons, and I AM NOT going to do anything major to the Ram. But should someone drop a 540 BB Chevy on my doorstep, well, I think I'd find a way to slip it in between the fender wells.

Well.

Gonna get fired now too…

That brown truck will drop any package in your driveway.
Just sayin’.
I was more along the 596 lines but Charles does like to go big.
Texas thing I suppose.

:beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2023, 08:42:56 AM »

Well.

Gonna get fired now too…

That brown truck will drop any package in your driveway.
Just sayin’.
I was more along the 596 lines but Charles does like to go big.
Texas thing I suppose.

:beercheers:
Now now, Charles likes to go big but still hasn’t done the motor in the red classic yet.  If that’s sayin anything lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2023, 10:24:33 AM »
Yea! ^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^

Callin a man out or "Just gonna leave this here" when you haven't done it yourself, is pure peanut gallery stuff...

;-)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:26:00 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2023, 12:56:44 PM »
Not like you don't have a history Don,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leaving this there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2023, 01:19:42 PM »
Ya'll need to leave tx alone ... he had the bus fixed shortly after he bought it
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2023, 08:19:11 AM »
And the spare LB7 block I have is to replace the one I have that only has 228,000 so I still have time.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2023, 08:49:28 AM »
And the spare LB7 block I have is to replace the one I have that only has 228,000 so I still have time.

Definitely have time. Lol
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2023, 02:52:38 PM »
Long-term update:

I parked the thing nearly all summer and took the insurance off of it.

I even planned to sell it and placed it up for sale. I had a few interested people, but in the end, it did not command my asking price.

So, one day, I tossed a battery charger on it

That led to my pressure-washing it

Had to toss on some ceramic wax afterward.

With the outside looking great again, I went after and detailed the interior.

Started liking it again so I reinsured it and drove it a little. I still had that pesky Anti-Lock brake caution light along with that big glaring red "BRAKE" message.

That led me to take it to the local Cadillac store where an electrical wizard works. He couldn't find anything wrong with the Anti-Lock Brake system other than the light being illuminated! Further, I was having HVAC issues. On one occasion last spring when it was raining the thing refused to defrost and no AC. Well, during the Caddy visit, all that worked as advertised too!

Was all that due to an improperly charged battery?

So, I think I'll use it over the winter. It is weatherproofed better than the USS Nimitz with several layers of 3M cavity wax so it should stand up to the salt we get. Next up, I am scheduled with a tuner in December. It is for sure running rich (I smell gas fumes when it is running) and will not reliably idle sometimes. I think I'll sort all that out and just keep driving this cool old classic 2500 Suburban.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2023, 10:04:44 PM »
Honorable mention...Changed the oil/filter on the Burb today. Went with a full synthetic and a Mibil-1 filter (BC it was on sale...)

This truck is just running and driving great. I still have a tuning appointment for 1 Dec to have the tune leaned out a bit. I get gas fumes while driving it, especially when cold idling. I remember Nick saying he added a margin of safety in there to keep me from liquifying the pistons. That little bit extra is probably the culprit of the awful fuel mileage and the raw gas fume smell.

I continue to rely on it to drive the 120 miles to/from the farm and to tow my dump trailer with whatever I care to put in it. This truck really does a good job towing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal