VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

Project Terminated

(1/28) > >>

OldKooT:

OldKooT:
Today Day 1: I called Tate and ordered a few parts and didn't have any convulsions or regrets at spending $$ so that's a great sign my motivation is alive and well.

I have a bare frame sitting in the shed that is about half painted and stripped of even the suspension mounting brackets. I was so thrilled last Summer with my new rivet removal tool (big honking air hammer) I may have removed things just for the fun of it. Anyway on the upside, I can make the claim this is a frame up rebuild...because that is where we are starting.

Since it won't warm up and be spring like here I can't really finish painting yet. So....lacking a real shop because well that's the next project (I know a bit backwards) I am going to start with punting junk around in the shed and making room. Maybe spend time devising a easy way to move the frame around when it gets time to paint/assemble.

Man this thread is already a bummer...I promise I will paint a caliper or something and spice this up in the near future.

Anyway, here is a truck (not mine) that generates a vision of what color it will be.

OldKooT:
The above posted picture represents a OEM starting point..... from that we need to create a durable off road friendly and highway happy platform. Think a tractor that can run along a 90mph with the new fancy pickups.

Weight: Less it weighs the better. I expect a fair amount of gear, a bed mounted tent possibly, camping equipment, mid weight towing capabilities, and again it has to handle off road trails. So many expo rigs get to a point they are so heavy, and unbalanced, where they can go off road is limited heavily. I fully intend this truck to go where it will physically fit. This will not be a crawler, but it will have to deal with rocks, it won't be a mudder, but it's going to see plenty of mud, it will not be a river truck, but it will cross hood deep water and, well you get the idea.

Think Camel trophy meets Ultimate adventure, and some blend of in between.

stlaser:
cool, now I understand....... ;D

OldKooT:
Yah Yah I know not a wheeling truck...LoL But I am getting to that age in my life where I really enjoy going places that don't have a dozen other rigs tackling a obstacle.  I have always subscribed to the concept that the real challenge off road is conquering the trail, despite it's level of difficulty, while enjoying the experience and nature. So this rig is all about getting back to those days when we had a load of fun doing just that.

That said in it's last incarnation it got around ok for a pig of a truck. It's still much smaller than today's pickups and way lighter. I hope to improve on that this go around. All in all, this won't be too fancy of a build. Just a simple strong foundation for adventure.

Somewhere in Idaho many years ago after 9 hours of amazing snow and scenery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version