VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

16 Ram 2500 CTD

(1/6) > >>

turn_one:
I recently traded in my '11 Ram 2500 CTD in for a new 16.  The changes below the surface are minimal between the two but most noticeable was the link/coil set up in the rear vs. the old standard leaf.  I noticed this to make a significant difference in ride quality over my '11 model(which had Carli components and a progressive rear leaf).

Old truck:

...and new one stock:

This new truck is a Outdoorsman package which nixes some chrome bits in favor of black (but the bumpers for some reason) and comes with some standard features I prefer.  I managed to find some stock black wheels which come on black appearance group trucks at the dealer which I traded up for.

The plan was to lift it, but not too much as to allow for easy bike loading.  This was an issue with my '11.  This meant new front/rear coils and some longer travel shocks.  I decided on Thuren Fabrication (https://www.thurenfabrication.com) which isn't too far from me and, from my research makes some quality parts.  I wasn't particuarlly impressed with my experience with Carli.  I also needed to consider the main objective of this truck was to haul around my pop-up camper on extended trips.  This meant I didn't want to go too tall, too rigid or too extreme with my build approach.

Set on the parts I drove down to Bend OR to Thuren but first made a stop in Portland to get this baby slapped on.  Its a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model.  I did a ton of research and it came down to these guys due to weight (it's aluminum), strength, add-ons, service, etc.  I'll not get into the camper here as that's another thread/forum but I can say that I'm over the moon with it thus far.  I've had it since January and have probably spent 20+ nights in it.

At the Four Wheel dealer day of install:

Coming home from Bend somewhere in south central WA (it was about 6 degrees here):

The lift went on fairly well.  By fairly well I mean it was only somewhat of a crap show.  It rained the entire week, my garage doesn't accept trucks this big so I was wet and cold for most of the job.  Rear was surprisingly more difficult than the front in part due to the airbags and cradle modifications I had to do.  A few calls to Chief (you guys know him as Flyin6) netted advice like; 'just plasma torch off that panhard and weld in some adjustable links and you'll be good'.  My toolbox doesn't contain such devices so it ended up being elbow grease and swearing (with a little help from the wife) that got it done.

Post suspension work and pretty much how it sits now:

Love how the truck handles now, tons better than the rear leaf trucks from previous years. 

Future plans include 2.5 Kings and some steel tube or plate bumpers.

cj7ox:
Nice truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyB:
Both those trucks are nice.

fenriswolf039:
I'll put my bias toward the Blue Oval aside and compliment you on a great looking truck.  The camper is also very nice.

Further, I'll go on to make a completely separate statement about these photographs, which are OUTSTANDING.

Well played, sir.

Wilbur:
That looks great! Love to see the write up on the camper too when you post it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version