Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build part 6  (Read 31049 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
After a lot of vacuum action, I had it looking respectable

It will get shampoo'd and re-dyed after I slab on the sound deadener underneath.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2022, 09:03:13 PM »
The fore-aft screw was actually bound up with a big ball of dog hair. I spent some good time cleaning the underside of the seats until they were respectable enough to go to the shop. I'll detail then some more when I get them back and re-grease the screw-jacks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2022, 09:06:48 PM »
Stacked up and ready for the shop. They get delivered tomorrow

My trusty assistants are always at the ready to carry off something important. Today it was my prescription eyeglasses. I only recovered part of the side and a nose piece. No worries, they were just super expensive Oakley steel framed no line trifocals

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2022, 09:19:12 PM »
Bet your hands smell like snacks. You give em snacks, then touch your glasses, history.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »
I don’t know how you can mess up an iPhone. My 80 yr ol mom has been posting photos of her trip to Italy all week with her iPhone

Iv never had a problem.

All you pictures came in just fine via tapatalk

I don’t think I’d be able to find the post again.  I believe it was on instagram. 

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/vinyl-and-fabric-paint/p/dupli-color-flat-black-vinyl-fabric-spray-paint-11oz/645639_0_0

This product is what I remember him using. 
Masking off the plastic bits like lights n things.  Imagine you would have to scuff the other hard surfaces a little and clean well with a solvent to make sure it bonds well.
Black roof in there would look pretty killer and since all the other things are out. Lots more simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 13, 2022, 10:11:25 PM »
I don’t know how you can mess up an iPhone. My 80 yr ol mom has been posting photos of her trip to Italy all week with her iPhone

Iv never had a problem.

I don’t think I’d be able to find the post again.  I believe it was on instagram. 

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/vinyl-and-fabric-paint/p/dupli-color-flat-black-vinyl-fabric-spray-paint-11oz/645639_0_0

Masking off the plastic bits like lights n things.  Imagine you would have to scuff the other hard surfaces a little and clean well with a solvent to make sure it bonds well.
Black roof in there would look pretty killer and since all the other things are out. Lots more simple

I like the idea because I have some cosmetic damage from years of activity and dogs and hyper teenagers and hard bouncing on bumpy dirt roads and you name it. Black would cover that pretty well.
I never thought about it, but I think I may consider it...
I'm already re-dying the carpet which is in great shape despite its age, so, yea, the interior roof stuff would be easy.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »

Iv never had a problem.

I like the idea because I have some cosmetic damage from years of activity and dogs and hyper teenagers and hard bouncing on bumpy dirt roads and you name it. Black would cover that pretty well.
I never thought about it, but I think I may consider it...
I'm already re-dying the carpet which is in great shape despite its age, so, yea, the interior roof stuff would be easy.
I’m not sure if with the sun roof you would be able to pull it down with out any damage or a crease.  But might be worth looking into.   Or if ya need some new glass in this process pull the windshield and slip it out the front window and have a good surface to spray instead of the overhead idea

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 13, 2022, 10:31:52 PM »
Black would show more, go or stay with darker grey.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 13, 2022, 11:43:38 PM »
Black would show more, go or stay with darker grey.
Your out of your mind! Black would only show two things more. Dog hair which can be cleaned up and coffee creamer.
I don’t picture coffee creamer being an issue in the truck unless don picks up a habit of Starbucks.

Grey on the other hand shows black marks from grease hands, brown from coffee or soda splashs, all of which don’t clean off easy with out discoloration of the grey

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 14, 2022, 12:36:40 AM »
JMHO  :beercheers:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
I dropped off the interior parts just now at the upholstery shop.

Before I left, I was looking at that headliner. There are a ton of light gray trim pieces made of plastic holding a bunch of stuff down. Dome lights, an ovhd console, a sunroof, and the other trim. I wonder what a black headliner would look like with the light gray trim pieces. In my mind that is not looking very good, although having just sat in Duane's Ram3500 with a black headliner, I have to say, it makes things look a lot better, cooler too somehow.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »
I’d say paint them all

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »
Here's the interior dropped off at the upholstery shop and a hint of the new color scheme

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2022, 03:57:57 PM »
^^^^^^^Helpful I-phone orientation^^^^^^^^^^^^

You take the pic in the correct orientation
Then you copy it to the computer,
Where the orientation checks out OK, again
Then you post it online
and it changes, of course
Because Apple products are so easy to use and compatible with everything
(My money says only democrats and liberals build Apple products)
Just like the democrats, the things apple products don't actually work!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 14, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »
Democrats just build them, or is it only democrats that buy them and can't use them?

;)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2022, 07:05:23 PM »
Democrats just build them, or is it only democrats that buy them and can't use them?

;)

All from the man driving a EV lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2022, 08:40:08 PM »

;)

All from the man driving The most American made vehicle on sale anywhere

FIFY David

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »
^^^ good point .

Edit: to expand on that, I, like all of us here, appreciates well made items. Whether it's a tool, a piece of furniture, or a perfectly straight brick wall.

When I received the Starlink system the first thing I noticed was the physical quality. The heft of the routers, and the quality of the power/data weather resistant cords. I should've taken pics.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:36:52 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
 My problem is the massive use of taxpayer dollars (100s of Billions) to build these charging stations and not letting the free market create them as the demand increases.  Government is spending money, driving inflation, crippling the common man to pursue their wet dream of a green economy and electric cars (powered by coal)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 15, 2022, 07:33:09 PM »
^^^ good point .

Edit: to expand on that, I, like all of us here, appreciates well made items. Whether it's a tool, a piece of furniture, or a perfectly straight brick wall.

When I received the Starlink system the first thing I noticed was the physical quality. The heft of the routers, and the quality of the power/data weather resistant cords. I should've taken pics.

OK Don, im going to do a little DOT. 

Ken what you just said about the Starlink system if how it should always be with USA made equipment.  just a quick sidenote on that system its 100% built AND packaged right here in USA.  lots more going on and I will share will the time comes.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 15, 2022, 08:12:45 PM »
My problem is the massive use of taxpayer dollars (100s of Billions) to build these charging stations and not letting the free market create them as the demand increases.  Government is spending money, driving inflation, crippling the common man to pursue their wet dream of a green economy and electric cars (powered by coal.

But they say it helps!!!

How many gas stations did they build?

How do you think a farm would run if they ran it?

My email was down for 2 days, drove me nuts. Kinda like the old days,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 15, 2022, 11:32:25 PM »
^^^ good point .

Ken,

Simply put, I believe this Tesla car is the highest quality vehicle built in the world, period. I keep finding more and more super high-quality parts and assembly methods. Just found out the side door glass is actually doubled. Makes it stronger and quieter. Never saw that except in up-armored vehicles, but they had a bunch of laminations...

It is the benchmark when it comes to quality. It has the best engineering that mankind can contrive. It is assembled in the most state-of-the-art assembly building that the industry has ever put together. It is assembled by machines and American workers, at least for the cars selling in the US market. The technology is so far ahead of every other manufacturer that the industry's best engineer, Sandy Muro says to every other car manufacturer on earth, "Copy Tesla or die."

It is faster than nearly every other car on the planet. It is so cheap to operate, when compared to a car or truck, it's almost free. Its warranty exceeds any car manufactured. It is the largest collection of state-of-the-art technologies, that likely only DARPA could top. There really is no comparing it to any (ANY) other cars. On top of that, the software is just as advanced. And it actually all works. I haven't run into any glitches with mine, none. It is the single safest car on earth. It's faster, smarter, cheaper to operate, most aerodynamic, has a better warranty, and is in such high demand that upon delivery you can easily make $3K-$5K more than you paid for it after taxes. People will buy your car in a day or two simply because they can't get one without waiting a few months. I am probably going to order a model Y for the wife. Delivery is slated for April 2023. That's how much in demand these cars are!

I mean what can I tell you? My car's chassis is a casting! Yes, it is a poured aluminum, one-piece casting in the front, one in the rear, the center is a very low-slung titanium housed battery, and two side rails...That's it. Can you point to any other car whose chassis is a one-piece poured ultra-strong singular component? Add to that the front and rear power train modules, some fenders and doors, some glass, and an interior and that's all the car has for parts. It has about as many moving parts as two wheelbarrows. The interior wood, is, WOOD!. The seats are fantastic. The ride is out of this world. You'll have to go to a world-class merc or the like to equal it. Factory, my car will corner at 1.08G...STOCK!

So, a guy stopped by my house just up from the LS nationals in Bowling green. He purchased my 37" tires. He saw my T-car and shook his head. He said there were two Teslas at the meet and no corvette there could touch either one. No Vette could out accelerate the stock Tesla, and he said there was no corvette, prepped or otherwise that could out corner the T-cars on the road course. He said if they want to showcase LS cars in the future, he felt they will need to prohibit Tesla cars from entering the competition.

Just name an area to compare to a normal car, just one. Do it and dive into the comparison and you'll start to see just how far out in front these T-cars are. That T-car is going to upend and beat almost anything you could show up with regardless of the price. Unlike the early T-cars, the paint and panel alignment are now perfect. I don't know of a quality issue with the car. They just work. Buy it, then drive it for three years, then sell it for what you paid for it and do it again. Where have you ever been able to do that with a random production car? Anything? At any time, ever? There is simply no competition out there and Elon has gotten so far out in front at this point that no one is going to catch him.

In closing, I'd just say, drive one. Drive one and you'll begin to see what I am talking about. Owning a tesla now is sort of like getting an early computer when everyone else balked at the notion. Then you suddenly found out just how much you could do, all while no one around you had the slightest idea what you were on to. That's what it is like now with respect to these T-cars. We are in the final days of the T-car being an insider thing. Mainstream is about to get the memo. Drive one but keep a good ICE truck for now...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:34:42 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 15, 2022, 11:58:34 PM »
I hear Nascar is going run EVs soon. But it would be EV vs EV, not EV vs gas.

Problem is they control you and know everything you do. I can't charge at my prop, yet. EVs can't really tow yet either, sure that will come.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 16, 2022, 12:09:00 AM »

Problem is they control you and know everything you do. I can't charge at my prop, yet. EVs can't really tow yet either, sure that will come.
New batteries are coming out now. These Iron based batteries are 2X larger and 5X the juice. They will give the towing EV some decent range. Technology is often driven by money, and the big money and market are chasing EV's. So, something newer and more capable is just over the horizon.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 16, 2022, 12:13:19 AM »

I saw a Rivian at the campground a couple weekends ago, I can only assume they towed their trailer down with it - had the hitch platform in the receiver. Nope - not for me. I love my diesel.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 16, 2022, 12:39:32 AM »
I like my diesel too.

So far tests have been horrible for EV towing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 16, 2022, 10:25:51 AM »
I like my diesel too.

So far tests have been horrible for EV towing.
Love my diesel as well. Going to be hard to come up with an EV solution to heavy towing.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 16, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »
I peeled back the carpet and felt pad from the rear and prepped it for installation of the dynamat. I am amazed at how well this truck is surviving the elements. I am at nearly zero rust anywhere (Underbelly included).

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 16, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »
I discovered the sharp edges of that thicker than normal foil can be sharp. There are drops of blood scattered over the interior now...Ouch!

I tiled the installation, overlapping large and small panels of the sticky stuff

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 16, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »
Rear section, Done!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 16, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »
The front was vastly more complicated. There is a large wiring bundle bisecting the cabin beneath the front seating which is also attached to a couple of control modules. Additionally, the carpet wraps around the stack of something beneath the console and lies in part beneath the trunk-lines of the wiring harness. That made the front, especially, the passenger side quite challenging. I solved the problem by cutting the material down into approximately 8"x8" pieces, then sliding them up under the felt to their final position.
I vacuumed and cleaned everything prior to applying any Dynamat. It all turned out quite well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 16, 2022, 10:45:37 AM »
...And, Dave, I think that although I would really like to go with your suggestion to paint the interior headliner and trim black, it would be a pretty big job and not without frustration. So, I decided to keep it all stock, and just clean it up the best I can. I am using Simple green for the hard parts cleaning task, and some commercial carpet shampoo and cleaner to do the carpet prior to re-dying that a uniform black.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 16, 2022, 05:57:27 PM »
Totally understand. Pulling headliners down isn’t much fun.  I think it would be simple in a reg cab.  But there simply isn’t much room for error on the crew cabs. 

Can’t wait to hear the review on the sound Mat throughout the whole cab.  Did ya do the back wall also?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »
Totally understand. Pulling headliners down isn’t much fun.  I think it would be simple in a reg cab.  But there simply isn’t much room for error on the crew cabs. 

Can’t wait to hear the review on the sound Mat throughout the whole cab.  Did ya do the back wall also?

So far, I did not do that wall, but eyeballing it. It has a thick rubber and felt pad over it already, and of course, a seat in front of that. Removing it has me tearing out some plastic retainer at the very top which gave me a bunch of problems, so I left it alone and just cleaned it all up. I'd say, I'm not going to mess with it for now.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
Cleaned the carpet and headliner today. Took quite a while.

The carpet was heavily stained and soiled. The headliner was pretty dirty too. I don't think I have ever even wiped it down

The closeup of the carpet was the front of the seat in the driver's well, the dirtiest part of the carpet. It cleaned up very nicely

Next step will be dying the carpet again with a light spray of carpet dye/paint.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 07:36:16 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:55 PM »
The headliner cleaned up very nicely as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 17, 2022, 07:34:24 PM »
I purchased this little Bissel machine to do the handy work. I used standard detergent mixed according to directions. I did, however pre-treat the surfaces with simple green and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 17, 2022, 08:38:33 PM »
Looks good Don.

My headliner needs some attention too and I have a little older version of the green machine, works good.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 18, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »
Today I sprayed the whole carpet then scrubbed the door panels, then gave everything that was vinyl or hard plastic a liberal, soaking coat of armor-all. I'll topcoat that with something else to get myself some more of a barrier.

Seems I have to defend against dog hair and dog slobber most of all. I carry 1-3 dogs to/from the farm whenever I go down, and they are the ones who contributed to such an awful mess beneath the seats.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 18, 2022, 06:37:10 PM »
This guy, who someone (not me) named Chester, is always hanging around or sitting on top of you (literally!)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 18, 2022, 06:47:11 PM »
Here is what I am going to do this time to try to save my carpet and interior.

Its a product from 4Knines to keep the mutts in the back seat. It is the only one that goes all the way to the floor which gives the dogs a lot more room.

I am thinking of only installing the small right-side seat and leaving out the two-thirds that is normally folded there. My reasoning is that these days I almost never haul even another person, let alone several. If I was going to the farm with a bunch, I'd just switch up to the Suburban or make em hold on tight to the hood or bumper (legal in Kentucky!!!!!) (Not really) (But had all you people from communist states wondering) (Think I'll stop using parentheses)

If I left out the larger section of seats, I think I'd find a piece of Molle and add some bags/pouches to it to store my routine stuff. Most of the time I am hauling dogs or a pump, or a cylinder, or a bunch of tools, and opening up that space will make that easier too.

What do you all think? Good idea to leave it out, or toss it back in?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 18, 2022, 07:18:04 PM »
So, Chester the molester huh?

I was going to recommend one of the doggy things, but you got it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 18, 2022, 10:12:27 PM »
So, Chester the molester huh?

I was going to recommend one of the doggy things, but you got it.
I've called him "Chester the molester" but Miss Kat does not like that very much

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 18, 2022, 11:27:46 PM »
Put the seats in. You spent good money on those covers.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2022, 01:37:55 AM »
I’d toss the dogs in the wife suv. She’s the one who purchased them hairy monsters

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2022, 11:03:57 AM »
or when it's not hot as sin, in crates in the bed of the truck...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 19, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »
or when it's not hot as sin, in crates in the bed of the truck...
He could just hack a window AC unit into the side of his truck cap and the dogs could ride in style in the back.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 19, 2022, 11:18:05 AM »
...Bunch o' haters

Hatin' on ma dogs no less

Although Dave is correct...The western Dave...She brought those dogs into our lives. Now they are a royal PITA and chew up everything, but I love em'! Would have been nice if they never showed up in the first place, but now that they are here, she shows very little interest in them and they become my responsibility, so I try to treat them good and take them to the farm where they can romp like nature intended for them.

So I really only have one "real" vote, and that is to remount the total rear seat and not just the single seat...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 19, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »
Do I get a gold star for paying attention and following instructions?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 19, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »
Do I get a gold star for paying attention and following instructions?

Awe Tex, do you need to feel validated? You haven't been hanging out in Austin too much now have ya?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal