VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Rudness from National Tire and Wheel

(1/9) > >>

Flyin6:
I am amazed at how poor some sales people have gotten over the years. Today while I was trying once again to get some information on tires to purchase for C-Max I called National Tire and Wheel.

I called the place twice before in the past couple months, approximately when I was writing about purchasing another set of tires to test on the truck. Each of those other times, I couldn't get an opinion out of the sales person with a crowbar. I would ask a question then get a short curt answer that was really saying, "Buy or get off the line."

Ever had that feeling, like the person you are talking with hates the public, hates his job, realizes he is going nowhere and it is all coming to bear on you? Ever feel like you have to work really hard just to get the other person to listen? Well I am accurately describing National tire and wheel.

I have seen the change over the years. You see I was buying mud tires from them all the way back to 1992. I would call, talk about tires, the sales person would normally steer me toward a set of generals and I'd order four and be done with it. A year later, I'd repeat and get another set.

But no more. THose people have really changed. If they were thinking they would place friendlier people in sales. They would realize that that is the point of contact and in the case of me/today, the difference between a publically written complaint and a sale of five tires. Being so cavalier with a customer tells me that sales guy doesn't care, and likely the whole operation is running on the cheap and designed to sell as many tires before the sales person burns out and quits.

After the guy placed me on hold today and didn't even tell me, then failed to come back, I had had enough. I wrote a message to them. I don't know why, perhaps just to give some caring manager, if there is one, a clue as to what his people were (not) doing. I did get a response from a "Mark" which I will post. He apologized, which I don't need and doesn't help anything, but it is apparent that he doesn't know the problem exists. I'm wondering if he condones the attitude his sales people display, he doesn't know about it (which says he is disconnected) or he just doesn't see it (Part of the problem)

I don't know...But I do know I clicked on a few buttons and came up with a good price on similar tires on Amazon.com

Transcript follows:

Date: 8/23/17 4:05 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: info <info@ntwonline.com>
Subject: Rudeness

I wouldn’t normally say anything, but you people, well the sales people I have talked to are really rude!
I don’t know who would buy from people like that.

So I have called three times trying to zero in on a tire choice. All three times I was not helped AT ALL when I asked for an opinion or advice. This guy I just talked with placed me on hold during our conversation when I started to dig and get information critical to my decision. Over the years, I have ordered tires, 4-5 at a time from you many times.

I will never come to you again. If you care to get some honest feedback, here it is: I for one will never work to hand over my money! That means you have to work to earn it. And if it’s not asking too much being courteous would be a good place to start. Your sales people sound like inmates in a forced labor camp. I get the distinct impression that everyone hates their job there and just wants to either grab a quick sale or move along.

I own a fleet of vehicles. You lost me for good. Do yourself a favor and fire your whole sales staff and put someone in there with no knowledge at all that will at least be nice. Then back that group up with one of the people lacking all social skills, but has product knowledge. That way, I’ll bet more people will at least hang on the phone line and if some have a question, then the guy with the brains but no social skills could provide an answer.

Seriously folks, just a terrible job!

Don Harward

Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:34 PM
To: Don H
Subject: Re: Rudeness

Don, first let me apologize for the problem. I would really like to get to the bottom of it. I can go back and look at calls and hear them recorded. Can you give me some ideas of what times you called in and from what phone number? Did you talk to different people each time? Or did you get the same person each time? We're all three calls placed today?

Re: Rudeness
DH
Don H <hoverjunkie@hotmail.com>

Reply|
Today, 6:27 PM
Mark Hayes (MHayes@ntwonline.com)
Mark,

I have called on three separate occasions the past several months. On any of those cally your guy could have sold me 5 tires.

I'm wondering how you didn't pick up on this? I'll try and explain how it happened for me each time. I would call and briefly try and explain my truck, what I use it for, and what I am looking for. When I stop talking there is a deadspace, silence. I always get the feeling that the voice on the other end just doesn't want to answer any questions, which very well may be the case. I suspect these people are burned out and judging from the (lack of) intelligence from the average American, you must get your share of stupid callers and/or questions.

Then along comes a guy like me. I have done my homework to try and zero in on a product and to make the final selection all I need is an informed and educated opinion. Call it a recommendation.

I was interested in getting to the bottom of the Federal MT tire questions I have. THe surveys I run have been 28% negative, citing numerous occasions of belt separation. I think I found and read 22 comments from different people. I also found some favorable responses. Given that I want to upgrade to a 37" tire on my duramax truck because of the low 4.56 gears it has, the $231 price point of the Federal tire is very interesting.

I asked what were your guys experience with quality issues, belt separation, and returns. THe man I spoke with said he had never seen a single failure or return on a federal tire...then he just stopped talking. I feel like I am pulling this out of him and he is just not volunteering anything. How about, well, if you don't think that tire would work, how about our new mr. yong MT for a little bit more?

But just like everytime before, I get crickets. So I ask "Well, what would you recommend?"
then he asks me what size tire, which has me wondering because I already told him. THat to me confirms he hasn't listened at all, I feel he hates his life, and is getting annoyed with me. Now look, I am at the point where I really want to get rude myself, but I have learned control and resist. He says something then click! I am on to some awful rock and roll music and wondering what the heck just transpired? I am getting upset at the moment but instead of just hanging up, I quietly decide that this company will never get a dime from me and wait to see if he ever comes back. I finish that repulsive song, and half the way through the next one I hung up, then wrote that email.

You know, you never know who you have on the other end of the phone. I happen to be the owner of RealManTruckWorksandSurvival.com a forum web site where people come to learn about trucks, modifying them and a plethora of military subjects. I am also a retired Army officer. Later on tonight you will be able to read my opinion about how poorly your employees handled not one but three calls from me. You, of course please feel free to respond, I believe in fairness.

Don Harward

stlaser:
You know, I've bought some off road tires over the years. Not once did I ever buy from them, guess I didn't miss anything......

Nate:
It almost seams like it would be better to do some research on some tires and actually contact an actual private distributor who feeds these idiots their tires.....?

TexasRedNeck:
Don, I hear you.  I think we are getting to be those cranky old men we laughed at when we were younger.  There is an apalling lack of work ethic in the younger generation.

With that said, please allow me to offer another perspective.  If there is a pattern of poor customer service the real issue lies in the corner office.  What we permit is what we promote.  Customer service is a culture and is not normally left to the random delivery and design of an individual employee.  That means that the Sr leaders have to own it.  They have to live it.  They have to communicate it relentlessly.  They must acknowledge and praise their employees that deliver great service.  They must admonish or fire those that do not.

The leaders can structure compensation plans in a way that drives business results and customer satisfaction.  How many times have you been to a restaurant or bank or other retail institution that provides a survey asking you how they did?  How likely are you to recommend them to a family or friend?  Usually that means that incentive compensation is tied to those results and not just revenue/sales.

I'm a leader in a very service oriented business and I can tell you that in an emotionally charged environment that we operate in, making people happy is a challenge even when we execute perfectly.  Yet we have industry leading satisfaction because we as leaders live it and require it of our employees and now our compensation is also tied to it as well.

If National Tire and Wheel is focused on service, you will know based on how serious they are to rectify the situation, which may be a formal apology, an explanation of how the individual was coached, or an offer of a discount on your purchase.

In any event......get off my lawn....says the cranky old guy

Wilbur:
I find crap like that so exasperating. I find it interesting that they record every call....why? Certainly not because they have so many satisfied clients. You don't need to record calls  between salespeople and customers if you have no/few complaints.

I agree that today's generation often is a group of lazy a**es more interested in checking their Snapchat than working. But I will say there are some out there that do work hard. And I always go out of my way to encourage and praise them when I do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version