Hello Guest

Author Topic: Need a frig  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Need a frig
« on: July 10, 2022, 12:31:44 PM »
Woke up this morning with a defrosted freezer!!!!!!!!!

We had to cook most of the meat, and there is way too much to save. Lost Chicken, roasts, salmon, the works...

Looking at a good frig/freezer unit

Does anyone know anything about the LG brand?

Looking at this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-27-8-cu-ft-4-Door-French-Door-Smart-Refrigerator-with-2-Freezer-Drawers-and-Wi-Fi-Enabled-in-Stainless-Steel-LMXS28626S/302253240

Our space will accommodate a 36" X 70" by 36" deep refrigerator. I want the freezer on the bottom in a big deep drawer, a standard two-door refrigerator on top, and this one has a handy refrigerated drawer as well. This one features 28 cu ft and is Wi-Fi...It can even do diagnostics and report to your smartphone.

The price is $2299 @ Costco, $2208 @ Appliance America, and $2398 at Harbor Freight. Most of the time I get an additional 10% off at HD because of the military service so if I could that would reduce the HD frig another $240 down to $2158. HD also includes delivery, and installation, and will haul off the old unit.

Comments?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Need a frig
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »
I want to say we have a smaller LG one from Costco.
It was bought possibly for the cabin then our basement one died.

It’s been good I suppose.
I would buy another without hesitation.

I think LG is/has proven themselves.

Sucks that it KO’d with so much meat.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:03:14 PM »
I want to say we have a smaller LG one from Costco.
It was bought possibly for the cabin then our basement one died.

It’s been good I suppose.
I would buy another without hesitation.

I think LG is/has proven themselves.

Sucks that it KO’d with so much meat.

Ya, sucks!
I budget for food. That budget allows for a gradual buildup so we have a few months of protein should Biden's America stop working. I just lost about a third of that. I'd estimate 20 lbs of various meats at a minimum. Too bad we aren't neighbors; I'd hook you up!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:18:31 PM »
I really LG, quailty looks good.

Just dealing with TVs I have gone from sanyo-vizio and now LG, LG wins hands down.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 09:16:09 PM »
So just for grins, I pulled it away from the wall and then took off the rear cardboard dust cover

There was a winding of cooler tubing ahead of the compressor. It was clogged shut with a pretty thick matt of dog hair and dust. These Bernese Mountain dogs of mine really put out the hair. So I vacuumed it the best I could then got after it with compressed air. Man, what a mess! I had the downstairs looking like a light fog had rolled in

I have been cleaning and vacuuming ever since and finally tossed the towel in calling it good enough.

I reinstalled the rear cover and slid it back into place. I decided to give it until tomorrow morning. If it freezes water, then I'll let it stay there in use. But if not, I'm just going to order a new LG unit and call it a day...There goes my extra concrete parking pad beside the driveway I was planning for the summer!!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 09:57:32 PM »
They need cleaning regularly. Mine are on the bottom and a bare to get to.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
Cleaning is key just like your outside ac unit

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
Don, before you purchase, do some research on the warranty, and available service techs in your area. My sister bought an LG unit, it had a recall which cause her brand new fridge to fail. Home warranty wouldn't touch it because it was still under manufacturer warranty. She called the manufacturer, was told the parts would be coming to fix the fridge, but had to be installed by an LG certified tech, or the remaining warranty would be void. There is only one tech within 150mi radius of where she lives in N. AL. It took almost 5 months for him to get there to do the work, and his fee was not covered by the warranty. Just an FYI.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »
Woke up this morning with a defrosted freezer!!!!!!!!!

We had to cook most of the meat, and there is way too much to save. Lost Chicken, roasts, salmon, the works...

Looking at a good frig/freezer unit

Does anyone know anything about the LG brand?

Looking at this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-27-8-cu-ft-4-Door-French-Door-Smart-Refrigerator-with-2-Freezer-Drawers-and-Wi-Fi-Enabled-in-Stainless-Steel-LMXS28626S/302253240

Our space will accommodate a 36" X 70" by 36" deep refrigerator. I want the freezer on the bottom in a big deep drawer, a standard two-door refrigerator on top, and this one has a handy refrigerated drawer as well. This one features 28 cu ft and is Wi-Fi...It can even do diagnostics and report to your smartphone.

The price is $2299 @ Costco, $2208 @ Appliance America, and $2398 at Harbor Freight. Most of the time I get an additional 10% off at HD because of the military service so if I could that would reduce the HD frig another $240 down to $2158. HD also includes delivery, and installation, and will haul off the old unit.

Comments?

so i am a little confuzzled here. did the main house fridge freezer combo go bad, or was it a dedicated freezer in the basement somewhere?

if it is a dedicated freezer, i would recommend to stay away from big box store units and go directly to a restaurant supply store like Wasserstrom Restaurant Supply Super Stores up in cinci.  they also make commercial combo units.

heres some examples for you.  https://www.webstaurantstore.com/13447/commercial-combination-refrigerators-freezers.html

I know that if either my fridge or freezer in the basement goes out, I will be getting a commercial unit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:33:02 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Need a frig
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 01:57:55 PM »
Thanks Nate, I know this wasn’t addressed to me, but I am currently looking at new fridge/freezers. We currently have four fridge freezer combos and one chest freezer in the house and want to swap out to commercial units, we’re basically feeding a small army anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM by dave945 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »
Nate, our main house unit frig/freezer combo is what failed

Update: THis morning, despite all the cleaning and setting it to its lowest temp, it was about room temp this AM

So, we went off in search of a new unit. The local appliance dealer, Hagedorn's is a family business for a couple of generations now. They were great, and in fact, they sold all the appliances to us when we built in 2007. They have repaired or replaced the units which have failed, one set clothes washer/dryer, and TWO Bosh dishwashers! Also, the microwave/convection oven unit.

So we made them our first stop. We were noticing all the big box stores were showing back-ordered on MOST of their refrigerators. Costco had the unit for $2298, and both Lowes and HD showed back-ordered at $2398. Some place in Michigan showed one at $2208...In Michigan!

Hagedorn just happened to have the LG model we wanted on the showroom floor. They, however, showed a zero balance in their warehouse and only actually had two French door-style frigs in stock. Erin, our saleslady explained there was a nationwide shortage, and no one had any. She said all the ones on the showroom floor were spoken for, then she checked again. We are good and loyal customers, and oddly she could not find a direct reference to the floor model.

So she offered it to us at $2100 along with taxes and a $49 delivery/removal fee. I jumped on it walking out for a bit over $2260. I get it Wednesday!

I want to convert to blue-tooth appliances so I can begin to run our home on Alexa (I'm thinking Alexa, but we'll have to learn a bit more) THis unit is blue tooth and is completely controllable by my smart phone

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
Don, before you purchase, do some research on the warranty, and available service techs in your area. My sister bought an LG unit, it had a recall which cause her brand new fridge to fail. Home warranty wouldn't touch it because it was still under manufacturer warranty. She called the manufacturer, was told the parts would be coming to fix the fridge, but had to be installed by an LG certified tech, or the remaining warranty would be void. There is only one tech within 150mi radius of where she lives in N. AL. It took almost 5 months for him to get there to do the work, and his fee was not covered by the warranty. Just an FYI.
Sean, we did a local FB and friends inquiry. By a long shot, other than those owning Sub-Zero, highly recommended LG. We have a bunch of friends with LG refrigerators and every single person loved theirs. Time is short, I am now working out of the spare frig in the basement, so had to move quick

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 03:38:48 PM »
No worries. Just wanted to let you know. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 03:51:48 PM »
No worries. Just wanted to let you know. ;-)

Danke'

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2022, 04:04:09 PM »
Don, I don’t know the age of your unit but my freezer in my whirlpool at the ranch was on the Frits and it was an easy fix. The thermostat brain thingy needed replacing and I did it in about 20 minutes and it’s working like a champ.  YouTube is awesome for trouble shooting appliances.  Might be worth salvaging for a beer fridge.

Until someone proves me wrong (I sure it will happen) I stick with whirlpool or GE (and their monogram line ). I have a whirlpool that’s been in the garage for 14 years after 3 in our prior house and never a hiccup.  The main house has one of those fridges that cost as much as a car and other than a little control box it’s been bullet proof for 14 years.

Need and AAR on the new fridge after a few months. They have some cool features

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
Don, I don’t know the age of your unit but my freezer in my whirlpool at the ranch was on the Frits and it was an easy fix. The thermostat brain thingy needed replacing and I did it in about 20 minutes and it’s working like a champ.  YouTube is awesome for trouble shooting appliances.  Might be worth salvaging for a beer fridge.

Until someone proves me wrong (I sure it will happen) I stick with whirlpool or GE (and their monogram line ). I have a whirlpool that’s been in the garage for 14 years after 3 in our prior house and never a hiccup.  The main house has one of those fridges that cost as much as a car and other than a little control box it’s been bullet proof for 14 years.

Need and AAR on the new fridge after a few months. They have some cool features

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GE monogram for the win Tex, and La Cornue for oven/ranges, (I wish). TRN has some solid points, we had an older LG unit on the beach and it' lost fan control from the freezer to the main unit. (i.e. all cold air is generated on the freezer side and pumped into the fridge side). control panel looking motherboard thingy, a little cursing and youtube and we were back up and running and that was with a 16 year old unit. Too late to stop you now, but since you're no longer in a time sensitive situation, might be worth hanging onto the older unit.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 09:08:39 PM »
I'm playing with it right now

If it gets working it's going to the farm

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal