Hello Guest

Author Topic: Honda Talon S x S  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Honda Talon S x S
« on: July 06, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
Well, Don has been berry, berry busy this past July 4th weekend

It actually started last week when I decided to invest in something that doesn't overheat every other hour and mostly just run and produce smiles/miles.

So off to the Honda dealer I went

Now I have been poking my nose in and around side by sides ever since I sold my slow John deere thing.

The local polaris/ Cam-an store has just not impressed me. The used side of that dealership looks like a dirty junkyard. Leaking diffs, klunky axles and scratched and cracked everything. And the local FB marketplace is chocked full with used red for sale. Consequently, although the Polaris offerings are now in the low 180HP range, I have been evaluating just how many of those ponies I may employ at any one time. Not very many is my conclusion.

Our trail system is expansive, probably only bettered by the vast spaces out west. From my sisters house in the Daniel Boone National forest one can ride 90 miles north to the kentucky river and south well into Tennessee. I believe 750 miles of new trail, all free, btw were added just this weekend.

So a great trail rig that can negotiate forests, water, sand, mud, steep inclines that rise a thousand or more feet is what is needed. Only the occasional field offers one the opportunity to step on the skinny pedal and let er' rip.

My choice was the Honda Talon.

I like it because it is just an outstanding machine and is the first not to have that awful belt drive junk. It comes with a six speed, semi-automatic, dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters, 1000cc's and something around 105HP.

A few days ago I purchased a 2021 Talon 1000X with the electric Fox Shocks. The "X" is set up at 64" wide and is mostly at home in the narrow trail system of the thousands of square miles of national forest we have around here.

It has a powder coated blue frame with white over blue paint. It will be the one my wife uses. SHe picked up a bright pink helmet to accompany and protect her noggin
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Talon S x S
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
The thing is amazing! I looked at Cam-an, Yamaha (which was pretty cool with that 3-cyl power plant, the new Kawasaki Terex KDX green monster which was the roomist, but has a belt and only goes 66 mph downhill with a tailwind and is a first gen. We looked at the Polaris general and razor and based on the tonnage of broken parts reports from owners, we passed them up. I was interested in that six speed in the honda and the dirt pillar of salt reliability of the honda.
The clincher came after talking to some cycle shop service managers who to the man agreed the Honda is just the best with respect to reliability. Only one reported a leaking front diff seal and no others had ever performed a warranty claim, and they have no recalls

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 05:03:41 PM »
We spent the weekend four wheeling up in the Daniel boone National Forest with, of all things, my 2500 Silverado! The fakin suburban overheated again and I damn near set it ablaze. I was so friggin piffed at it, I just left it and took the chevy truck.

On the way back we stopped by a cycle mega store where I purchased a second Honda Talon. This one, intended to be my personal vehicle is the "R" model which has a track width of 68".

It will be delivered later this week and will shortly thereafter find its first use up the side of a kintuckee mountainside.

Mine is green and is a 2020 Talon 1000R

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »
Nice score.  Ive been looking for a while and wonder what would be a good compromise between recreation and working SxS based on your research? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:52:02 PM »
I sure like those Talons, even though I've never been in one, just watched videos on them.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:56:06 PM »
Tex, The Polaris machines seem to be fraught with problems, but having said that, the Ranger and possibly the general would fall into that category. Experience: My brother in law is one of the most active and long time yamaha rider. He owned one and sold it later for what he paid for it. It never broke down, so based on his experience, that one.
The mechanics are hopeful that that new Kawasaki KDX sport machine will hold up, but its only a year old.

The honda is just solid. Like never a peep out of it and it does have a 6-speed, but I would not call it a working machine. But, should you find yourself in a bombed out zombie apocalypse scene, I'd want to be in that Honda. I think other folks here could give you much better advice.

Ken, from what I have seen, and talking to folks who use them, the Talons always complete the rides, and oh, yea, they sound really good!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Those look fun.

My quad.
2004 Honda TRX 450M.
Has had maybe eight oil changes.
Spent the first 2000 miles underwater in swamps chasing moose to the top of the racks.
Might still have oil in both diffs. (No leak so no look)

Rock solid.
You should be happy if they still build em like they used to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:24:55 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
Samm, it sure feels and looks to be a quality unit. Darned thing is fast, and we are just babying the first one which was delivered last night

When you start it for the first time, it comes up in automatic mode where the transmission shifts itself. It's not an automatic, but a self shifting manual that slides into neutral when you slow to a stop. It holds a gear until maybe 3,000-3500 rpm then upshifts. You hear a mechanical 'Shink" then its in the next gear. You can punch a button to do manual shifting with the paddle shifters and that's pretty cool.

The farm next door has 8 miles of trails. I think she saw all of them just last night. I couldn't pry her out of it. We drove it on the street as well (This is Kentucky) and it keeps up with traffic just fine.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
That one is the 1000X, "LiveWire" edition which is the narrow one at 64" wide.

Mine will be 68" wide

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
Good looking rig.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »
Nice toys Don. You better sell some of those big metal things to break even a little!

Bad as me, just a big ol kid,,,,,,,,,,,,

Up in NV they run all over with those. Nothing to see them at MCD or other FF.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:14:10 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
Same here, they are showing up like cars. Planning to stop by the sheriffs office and see how they feel about my driving around local in it. The deputies around here are just so down to earth. The other day one of the neighbors called to police on a couple of boys riding dirt bikes in the neighborhood. One of the boys was mine. When the cops showed up, the boys went over to see what was going on and rode up on the bikes. My son said that those cops were really cool. They just talked about riding and fishing and told the boys to be safe. The boys told the officers thanks and have a nice day and it was all over. We found out later the sour puss was complaining about the children, but the cops think he is just an angry old man and blew him off

That and the police around here all know me. We volunteer together, our kids all play on the same teams. I see them and hang around with them at all the games and we just get along great. I often mess with them, going up and complaining about police abuse or something when I see a buddy standing with a new officer. Sometimes we can play it out until the newbie gets pretty nervous...fun times!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
Took delivery of the second one today. Its a 2020 1000R which has some interesting differences

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
Notice the rear suspensions differences. The 1000X has a three link whereas the "R" has a five link

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »
The R has four more inches of track width, but that cost me in an unexpected area...The turning radius is larger with the R, noticeably larger

The sway bar on the "R" is slightly different, and although the shocks appear to be the same giant size, the R is a manual adjustment whereas the livewire has a computer doin' the thinkin'

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Everything else seems to be about the same

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
I have already ordered what I feel are essential parts to include rear view mirrors and mud/rock guards

This area will get a spare tire and a Yeti along with a "tailgate"

The exhaust will not stay around very long either...This one is already rusting out and needs replacement.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 06:35:01 PM »
I think I am going to find some burly 4-wheel trailer used for lawn work to hook up to a future tow hitch to use to carry out freshly murdered deeres and other beautiful creatures recently exposed to rapidly expanding projectiles

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 06:43:27 PM »
Rock sliders so your don’t have to worry about turning around things.  Things become pivot points lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »
You don't turn those, you slide em! Where I am they ride them down the side of the road and just come into the parking lots. Even if I had a '"local" store, it would be a 20min drive. Kinda hoping they build one as it would be a on main HWY (445)

Only thing about the new ones is all the EPA stuff on them. Plus they can only sell so many because of that meaning prices stay higher (sure you know) and you have to wait for new ones that should be in stock.

Sure they have a warranty, but I see a fluid change coming! I think about a better one sometimes as I have lots of places to ride too.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal