Hello Guest

Author Topic: How Much ammo?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How Much ammo?
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
Well, lets get this area going.

Lets start with how much ammo do have at hand, or how much do you THINK you need to have on hand?

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How Much ammo?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:05 AM »
More than I had a year ago, but not enough!

I would imagine that 5,000 rifle rounds per caliber would be a comfortable level-

About 1000-2000 pistol per caliber would be good-

Probably 500-1000 shotgun rounds (defensive) and another similar amount of hunting rounds.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:02:42 PM »
Ya know, I am no expert, but you have some good working numbers

You practice with everything right...say 50 rounds monthly
I'd have the next few months, say 6 months on hand, so 300 rounds each rifle or pistol caliber. I might double up on the pistol since most shots are doubles.

Rifle, I'd say the practice stash + a good safe margin if that is the only ammo you will ever get again...that number is in the thousands, certainly. Then you might want some barter ammo, say another grand or so. So 5,000 as a working number for AK, 5.56 is probably on par. Personally I run multiples of that, because all my poor cousins shoot my ammo and get a kick out of 60 round mag dumps in the bump fire gun.

AK is cheap, so is Nagnant. I'd go big there 8-10k. The little 5.45 X 39 is also a battlefield favorite...10K of that and you'll be happy for a long time

Shotgun, I keep 500 slugs (Why? I got a good deal on a case), 1000-2000 rounds of buckshot, then boxes and boxes of #6, and #2

.22, easy start at 5K and go up n multiples of 5K
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »
You know I have thought about both the 5.45 and PSL just for the ammo cost.

Guess I am OK for pistol, cept 45.

Could go a little more on the hunting rounds for the shotgun, but good on slugs and 00. Same for the AR.

I think SG has 9mm alum case right now for $200/1k, great to practice.

Anyone had any luck on 22lr? I am OK but want to teach the kids without depleting what I have.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »
Don, you are such an over-achiever...

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
Don, you are such an over-achiever...
Better to have and not need, than to...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »
I'll just say more than I'll ever need but less than I want.  I have standardized my weaponry to 45ACP, 5.56, 12ga, 7.62, although I still have the odd calibers like the 460WBY, the 300WM, 22lr and 9mm and 38SPL .40 and 10mm.

I train with 9mm because it's cheap, I carry the 40 sometimes just because, and the 22 is practice, small survival game hunting .

I also have a lot of components for loading on top of the loaded rounds.  Just remember, ammo is better than silver or gold when it all goes south.  Have more than you need and be prepared to barter with it. 

Same same with extra magazines, gun springs and other parts that will be needed.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal