Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 3-Titan Fuel Tank & SAS]  (Read 94678 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 3-Titan Fuel Tank & SAS]
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2014, 09:18:28 AM »
Posted by Dustoff35:
Well that didn't take long... about 24 hours from our discussion to pulling the trigger on the ARE top???

BTW, I saw the new Miller Syncrowave TIG at the NSRA show today...

They have a show special through Welders Supply...

Nice setup...

You may need it for the upcoming SAS project...
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Buddy, you have a way of making me look at things objectively. When I did after we manhandled that top, I had a "What the heck am I doing" moment.

Yea, I ordered the new all aluminum commercial top already. It's just a matter of time until it gets here.

OK so, if anyone wants the tac topper it's free to a good home, just come and get it!
If you want to pay for it, then send what you would like to pay to wounded warrior and we're good

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
 was just about to post something related to the words "Build" and "Thread"
But
Instead
Got instantly mired in the sticky going nowhere conversation between a couple of DOTs!
With my advanced age, no scratch that, with all my experience, you'd think I'd see that mine field and steer clear.
DOTs are clever
One must be ever mindful of the trap!

OK, movin' on.

I did some measuring up of the front axle and put together this scaled and highly detailed drawing of the existing measurements. I couldn't find any paper so I pulled a panel off the tac topper. Seems it serves still in my shop
These highly accurate (To within one ten thousanth of an inch...give or take an inch or two) this will serve to track down that ever elusive HPD60 F350 Fard part.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
save

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
Well I got the good news I was anxious about.
I will be working with Randy's Ring and Pinion and mr. Tate up there to put the Dana 60 axle together.
I am going to showcase a who bunch of Randys parts.
Currently the thinking is to run one of their air operated Zip lockers, their Yukon gears, Randy's Forged axles, forged outers, super duty U-joints and their new severe duty manual locking hubs.
I haven't secured it yet, but i will be sourcing a 78-79 Ford F350 High Pinion Dana 60 housing and make the magic happen from there.
Shawn and I have been talking about the suspension. He is suggesting and there is good reason to run coil springs and a 4-link, although I like the simplicity of a two arm setup.
I want to run a big shock, a 3" if I can do it and make it a 12" stroke unit. COnsidering that the shock mounts well inboard of the tire, the total travel seen at the wheel should exceed 14". I should be looking at nearly 30" travel from right to left when it's done without even considering the rear axle travel. I already know I will set up that shock for about 4"-5" of stuff and 7"-8" of droop out.
Anyway, that's my update for this evening. The top is ordered and that order has been received at the plant so that's going forward as well.
It's all looking good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlaser 
Lets be clear, I like the ford radius arms. Couple things should noted though.

First, stock radius arms will not clear those big tires. Now they do make fabricated after market units that have a bend in them that will clear larger tires. Which is great and they work well.

Second, the original style rubber that slides in between the arms and the axle are the best & allow for the most flex. However, they have been known to pop out while driving over cheap imports & flexing their stuff. You can buy aftermarket poly units but they are stiff & as such limit flex.

We'll have plenty of time to decide while I source and assemble the axle. I would think about the time I drive the last nail in that project and sand down the last coat of joint compound, I would like to have a corner stacked full of the suspension pieces parts. Otherwise you get P.S.S. (Project Stall Syndrome) which leads to STTFNGR (Sellin the truck for no good reason).
So to prevent all that
I need all you good patriotic Americans to prod, remind, push, cajole, harass, and otherwise force Shawn into coming up with some decent idea. Whatever that idea is, I will probably throw out the window, but I would still like to see the harassment to take place.
So what about it folks
You want this project to proceed or not?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Aside from the desired harassment (toward a two timed banned guy BTW) I do like the toughness of a 4-link.
Looking under there, I would have some pretty long arms for the lowers. but not feeling it yet for the uppers.
The upper arm mounts are always the hardest anyway.
Which brings me back to the wristed two link with panhard.
But
If I can figure out the 4 linkey, I could triangulate the thing and eliminate the panhard.
The last one I did I used a panhard.
Everything the truck front end bounces up and down, the panhard exerts a side to side force on the truck so you get this wierd kuboki shimmy-shuffle which I grew to not like so much.
So the leaders seem to be wristed 2 linkey
and
opposing triangle 4-link
I think I will go with coil springs as per Shawn's suggestion. Dirt simple just like him, (and me) hard to break (like my distaste for the ugly blackhawk), found everywhere (Like OB lovin mexicans) inexpensive (unlike anything my wife buys) and easy to figure out (like the reasons this presidency does not work...literally)
I think I need to pay attention (and some big $$$$) for some biggin shocks. maybe some bypass crazy stuff, and the initial setup of this 4 link.
Hmmm, there I just went and said it
4 link
Hmmm, did that without knucklehead (Shawn) or bonehead (Ash) or even Special K or without gettin' Nate to kill anything.
Another decision made????

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »
I think the axle will come together pretty quick
There are only a couple complicated issues to deal with. Those being getting the anti skid...oops, not in the jet, err, anti-lock working and the factory brakes in there.
Not with standing the suspension could be just as simple.
We could have this thing rockin in a week from go time by using the democrat principle: Keep it simple because I'm not very bright!
Ya know, just tell me what I want to hear and what you think I need to hear!

On the suspension thing, look at how simple the early bronco suspension is:

Look how well it works:

And how much clearance I can build in for the tire.
The Dana 60 will be capable of 40 degrees of steering.
That means if I can keep the suspension arms out of the way, then my turning radius will be inside that of my zero turn mower!

You weld these things onto the D60 axle tubes, install the bushings, and install the arms!
Voila'
You's all linked up!

Second pic is that wristed link arm thing, although I'd add an adjustable upper arm bolted to tabs on the lower

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
 plan to build the suspension all the way to making it driveable. Get it aligned, then drive it over to Cincy to a custom drive shaft shop and dropping off said truck. Come back several gallons of artificially sweetened sweet tea and drive the completed thing away.
The shaft will probably have double cardan joints and a L-o-n-g slip shaft in the drive shaft itself
I'm just not up to building driveshafts, although, I could be talked into it for sake of showing people that Piluts and argumentative people can build it!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6
Hmmm, did that without knucklehead (Shawn) or bonehead (Ash) or even Special K or without gettin' Nate to kill anything.
Another decision made????

Posted by BobbyB:
All 3 pages of comments I catch up on and this stands out, I'm free of the shackles of non-killing clause or am I relegated to iffin' no one else can, I can't either?? Just seeking clarification from my (apparent) Build Thread chain of command.... oh crap I was supposed to ask Nate first... so all this was directed at him... yea thats it.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
It was a test
To see if you were paying attention
I leave you out then post it and hit the timer
6:37 later and you finally respond
Not very quick there Sergeant!

But now that you mention it, you should have checked with Nate first!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414
so whats the status of the sas don ?

I found a company in Pennsylvania who supplies used Dana 60's
Together we figured out what to get.
I will be getting an early 78-79 High Pinion Dana 60 from a F350 with high steer knuckles and a ford spindle and hub.
I will be adapting the Duramax brakes to the ford stuff by way of some cool custom machining by WFO Concepts. They do things like that with cutting edge off road stuff.
Anyway the axle should ship tomorrow or Wednesday.
Once I get it, I can pull the BOW (Build number) from the axle which Randy's will use to select all the cool parts going into it.
I think this will be the best way to handle this build and keep it super strong while not going overboard and over priced.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
Here's some of the parts coming from Randys Ring and Pinion

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
save

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
                                                                                     (7119)
Since I have all the drive line parts already coming in, I am taking some time focusing on the suspension setup.
I have something like a cold today, so sitting around on the computer researching all this stuff is about all i feel like doing.

The control arms are going to look something like these

And the suspension something like this me thinks.

There are variables afoot here such as driveshaft interference but this design keeps me from having to build a panhard.

As simple as the Panhard or track bar seems, and I might very well end up doing it, you sometimes run into problems trying to get the steering link and the track (panhard) parallel.

It must be parallel or you get bump steer, which is the same is bum steerin' !

Also, this about what the high steer will look like. The good thing is that all the important parts are well up and out of the way.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
Not a lot of pics, because not a lot of building going on, but progress is definately happening.

Parts are still tracking in like a hellfire on a hajii hoot-nanny and will start blocking the view of that maple tree on Monday.

I plan a marathon day of weeding and gluing stones back onto the front of my house where they fell from, one narrowly missing me! That is so that maybe on Tuesday I can get on that welding table.

The 450 lbs of Dana 60 beauty will arrive sometime this week, and I'll need the place functional and ready to accept that monster so that werkin can begin.

I'm settling in on that suspension I showed in the last, well, suspension pic. Shawn's good with it, and he is smarter than me, so I must have guessed right! (Or he used some of my own military reverse psychology on me!)

I am about to select the company to manufacture and sell me all the tubing, brackets, end links, steering arms, bolts, do-dads, thing-ah-ma-gigs and what-cha-ma-call-its I will be using. My goal is to organize those boxes into stacks laid out on my storage and work table on the west side of the garage.

Normally, my goal would be to remove enough of the boxes, through actually installing all that stuff, to be able to see the leaves on that jap maple tree turning fall colors, but the colors don't change on it, so I may get a little break in that area.

On my very short list of companies to supply the stuff is of course
Great Lakes Off road for the cover
WFO Concepts for the bulk of the stuff
Blue Torch Fab
XXX Fabrication
and Ruff Stuff fabrication.

I needs peoples who speak my language and don't sell "Rock Star Mags" and exhaust tips, Nope, definately not my crowd. Sorry if I offended anyone, well, actually, I don't actually care if someone with Rock Star "Hey look at me" wheels is offended...no great impact or loss

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
......I'm fairly excited about the SAS as well. THis truck deserves the complete heavy duty drivetrain, no excuses suspension, that I plan to add.
Not that the IFS is bad, it's fine for 99% of the time, but for that other 1% nothing else than a gool old live axle will do.

What I'm going to do here is to show everyone just how easy it is to do themselves, and the trememdous results they will enjoy when it's done.

This is a good time in history to do something like this. Instead of blowing thousands on rock star mags and 20's that will never do anything to include impress anyone other than other thin thinkers, a live axle will increase your capability to do everything manifold.

You'll likely improve economy, since there will no longer be parasitic drag caused by spinning axles, you'll be able to install a traction device in the front, A dana 60 is probably twice as strong as a stocker, wheel articulation will go from a paltry 8"-10" to around 30", and on and on

Apologies again to the rock star crowd, not trying to insult you directly, but wheels for the sake of "hey look at me" are pretty stupid, I think you'll privately agree.
Never the less, I apologize.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »
I learned about IFS off roading with my H2 Hummer. Pic below.
I lifted it, but not with a kit, but by inventing all manner of parts to give it more suspension travel. That resulted in it being taller, which I didn't mind. It had the E-locker rear and a ton of good parts and was reasonably acceptable at off roading.
But, you had to get used to the idea that when going over irregularly shaped obstacles which only occur in 95% of off roading situations, that one wheel and tire would be actually off the ground! Sometimes that front wheel would be 4 feet off the ground! Not a great feeling when you reach the roll-over point and the weight shifts to place that tire onto the ground. Big-Big changes in roll angle...Used to scare the knickers off me and the family!

When wheeling like that you have to learn a technique called BTM (Brake Torque Modulation) When you want more traction you would actually lightly depress and hold the brake while pressing on the gas. That would keep the airborne wheel from spinning and give you some more traction.
You see if you just had that wheel planted you could just drive normally. And of course with going to a 60 I can actually add in a locker, which, of course I am!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlaser
Is there a knuckle upgrade coming for this d-60?

No
I already spent money on the factory Ford stuff
In my assessment, that stuff is plenty strong enough for what I plan and hope not to use the truck for. In the meantime, mall speed bumps will only get about 2% into the capability of the stock D60 stuff.
Sorry Bro
Your Psychology didn't push me over the edge on that decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB 
What locker you going to put in the front? I probably skimmed over it, logged it in the brain and pushed it into the non-important compartment, which I periodically use later on. Its a process....

I'll be using the Yukon Zip locker which is a new offering, an air locker made in the US and sold through Randy's Ring and pinion.
It will be here Monday or Wednesday

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
Tate over at Randy's Ring and Pinion just helped me figure out how to connect the transfer case to the new Dana 60. HE suggested I use a companion flange so that I could mount a double cardan to either end of the driveshaft (Both ends??)
This will be replacing a standard 1350 yoke:

Look what just happened

Lets take a look at the shiny things!
Those are Yukon Super Joints which are amongst the very best available anywhere on earth

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »
They get special grease and a grease gun

Then all 4 4320 forged steel axles, again about the very best 35 spline axle you can buy
This stuff is way bigger and a whole lot stronger than the stock axles as to make comparison silly. No kidding these Yukon axles are many times stronger than stock stuff!

Some of the decals already found new homes!

Some bed time reading

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
There's that new Yukon Zip (air) selectable locker
That thing is 40-50 pounds!

Bearings and seals

King Pin rebuild kits

ARB air compressor for the air locker. I'll probably run a line off it to an air tank then I can plumb it to the air bags by way of a valve to allow me to regulate what pressure I am carrying out back

Some super heavy duty Yukon manual locking hubs

And an axle rebuild parts kit

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Remember how the boxes in the past obscured my view of that Jap maple
Well
It's started again!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
On the build thing, it's definately shaping up nicely.

Got off the phone from talking with Bo or is it Beau? Dunno, but he's one of the guys over at WFO Concepts. I tell you, he really knows this business of SAS. He was very familiar with the Axle and the Chevy chassis.

He has some really trick stuff to make my job a lot easier getting the axle in there.

He makes a trick, bent radius arm that will clear big tires at full lock. That means the turning radius will tighten up even more than I had hoped for. Since he knew this axle and the chassis well enough he was able to let me know PDQ that coil springs will not fit!

Yep, this particuliar HPD60 has the diff moved over to the drivers side even more than normal which reduces room to swueeze in a coil spring big enough to handle over a ton of weight each.

So that means I will be switching up to coil-overs.
I can still do what I want with the coil-overs with the valving and a lot of fluid bu building a 3" shock. Again, that will yield more damping than 2-2" shocks and both take up less room and be simpler to set up. Now, all I'll have to do, essentially is weld a shock tower up to the frame and drop the coilover in and bolt it to the axle with a single bolt. How much simplier could it be?

They have some frame plates he thinks will fit, so after I trim the brackets off the factory frame I'll weld these on and it will look all factory pretty once again and get stronger as well.

This thing is going to come together well indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff 35
Santa delivers in August!

You gotta come over and see this stuff!
You're gonna want to SAS that Cobra!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
Posted by KensAuto:
Wow Shawn, 4 link AND coilovers! the world is truly ending .

...stlaser:
Lol, yeah it's been a tough sell that's for sure.

...Flyin6:
Special K
Not 4 link, 2 link radius arm with panhard/track bar
Shawn won like 3 outta 4, but not a clean sweep!

..stlaser:
Yeah & last week it was "like 2 outta 4" but that axle still ain't slung under that rig so only time will tell!

..Flyin6:
You wanna keep it up???
I'll start checking out skyjacker leaf springs!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »
                                                                                                       (7237)
More parts

HPD60 86-99 housing
Spindles, hubs and knuckles

Rich Brandi over in PA finds and sells these housings. He supplied these parts and as you can see, took some time cleaning and painting them for me.

I plan to have then blasted again, then paint them with Dupont Centauri in Lycoming gray except for the main housing which will be done in that JD Blitz black flattened black.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:04:00 AM by KensAuto »

Offline ce_tx

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
I like the looks of that Yukon air locker, I've got an ARB in the rear of my crew cab project and was going to get one for my front axle but will have to look into the Yukon version now.

How do you like the GLO rear diff cover?  I'm needing one for my rear axle which is a dodge version of your chevy 11.5 AAM.
1985 Dodge W350 Crew Cab -  Expedition Project Vehicle.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
Posted by KensAuto:
I think I can speak for Don, and several guys on this site, that Shawn's covers are top notch.....as long as Don isn't allowed to paint over them.....he made quite the mess out of the first one he got for combat-max!!
FYI, GLO (aka Shawn) is on this site as "stlaser" if you need to pm him for something.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:49:25 AM by KensAuto »

Offline ce_tx

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I had one of his covers years ago on a 1977 Dodge M880 truck I used to rock crawl with and it was pure beef.  Just wante to see if his stuff is still the same.  I'll get with him after the holidays for another cover.
1985 Dodge W350 Crew Cab -  Expedition Project Vehicle.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB 
So when's H-Hour for the SAS ? I assume all the parts are gonna be cleaned up and etc.. Only wondering as I have to keep my mind occupied..

We already passed H-Hour
Catch up Sergeant!
I think when I started ordering the parts, that was H-hour
So in sequence:
Axle Parts ordered and identified: 100% complete
Parts arrive for axle build up: 60% complete
Clean, blast, and coat interior of axle: 0%
Install all internal axle parts: 0%
Assemble Axle all the way to hubs and steering: 0%
Identify and order suspension components: 50%
Remove all factory components and cut bracketry off frame
Replate frame
Install suspension arms
Hang new axle
Install Coilovers and upper mounts
Install steering
Install brakes
Final assembly

As we can see we are progressing right along on operation IFAM (Improved front axle mod)

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TATE 
Speaking of which, i'm looking to "wife-a-fy" my Remington 870 express for when I'm gone and the Dog isn't scary enough. I'm looking for a short barrel, extended mag, side saddle, or side rail w/ light mount, drop or folding stock, composit front stock, pistol grip and some high relief optics, like ghost rings. I want to know that if they don't run when they hear it rack, that she can hit them in the dark. Anyone feel free to chime in or PM contact info. With recent local events I'm looking to hurry up on this project. Also, any better ideas and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

p.s. just getting all caught up here, been away for some time. This thread is a living, breathing thing that I can proudly say I'm a part of. Thank you Don, and everyone that is contributing, reading, learning, and growing from this. 

Gentlemens, this here is BT (Brother Tate) who is a guru up at Randy's Ring and Pinion. He is the guy I go to who figures out everything gear/axle/driveline related. He is personally responsible for the swap to 4.56 gears, the grizzly rear locker, and now for all the front Dana 60 magic that is happening.

Speaking of which some more of his parts showed up!

Tate, did you see the section in here somewhere where Duane built up a Remington 870 while I built a Ruger 22? He has a good stock, pump, mag extension and extra ammo holder I think. Anyway check out G&G tactical for cool shotgun parts!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
Here's some of Tate's parts

The flange will go onto the pinion gear which will allow me to use a cardan joint there. The plan is to run one at either end of the front shaft. I'll defer to the experts at the driveshaft shop of course, but that is what I am wanting to completely alleviate future vibration issues.

Not the worlds best picture, in fact it just looks like a box! But inside that box is the new 4.56 ring and pinion gear set

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Posted by KensAuto:
It's Ironic, ce_tx, that we were just talking about Shawn's covers. This post by Don, pretty much sums up his opinion on that subject!

You may have also noticed the wonderfully built tiger tank frontal armor plate.

Ah fooled you, it's not a German tank part!
Shawn has been busy again over at Great Lakes Off Road. He welded me up another axle cover to protect those gears. In fact that is why the cover is currently resting on top of the gears...so they can get to know each other since they will soon be living in close proximity.

Shawn builds these things out of .250" steel plate and this one has an additional 1/2" plate welded over top for a total thickness of 3/4"!!!!!!!!!!

He did that so that I can driven right over boulders and Kias while actually using the cover plate as a ramp of sorts!

I'm told the word "Picture" was written on the inside because this particular cover was absolutely perfect...It sure looks it! 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:17:05 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
...KensAuto:

That's a nice cover!

Psst....Shawn, I wish you would have painted it before shipping it to big D. Did you see what he did to the last one? hahahahaaahhahahahha

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
...stlaser:
Yeah we all saw that debauchery of a paint job. However, I think he felt bad & is going to make it right this go around. Thanks for the compliments.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
I'll repent this time
This time it gets wire brushed, degreased, acid washed, acid primer, and DuPont acrylic enamel in Lycoming gray. I'll do the rear cover as well.

Update: Beau at WFO Concepts shipped out the shackle flip yesterday. I think it would be best to get the rear height set first, then use that as the baseline to do the front, since the front will have to be engineered.
Plus the Rear King shocks should be ready first.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
Posted by Cudakidd53:
Wow Shawn! That cover should survive a direct hit form an AP round! Might not survive the paint though; might want to ship them pre-finished in John Deer Black from now on.

...stlaser:
Funny that you mention that. A guy I first sponsored from Lexington, KY. doing rock crawling events back in the day when they were the next big thing served over in Afghanistan several years back. I believe he was a reservist going to college to be an engineer of some sort. Anyhow somehow with his engineering and off road racing back ground he was selected to help diagnose and fix little issues with this new v-shaped Humvee replacement vehicle. It came with a dynatrac front axle and their cast front cover but the rear Dana 80 axle was bone stock. As such they were having problems with the rear stamped cover hanging down past the bottom of the differential and peeling off when they drove over rocks etc. Same problem off road racing guys have here in the states. So he emails me and asks if I can send a couple of our D-80 covers to him. I did and that went on for awhile and supposedly he had to get a lot of signature approvals and the idea was if he had gotten it all squared away whenever they ordered one of these this would be a stock upgrade for these vehicles. Long story short it never did pan out in the long run. I'm not even sure if the military ever put in a large order for these vehicles as I haven't read anything about them since.

And if you google "JP magazine diff cover shoot out" you can see where those magazine editors literally went out and shot at ours and roughly 15 other vendors covers. I won't let the cat out of the bag and tell you who won that silly test either.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
Here's those WFO Concepts shackle flip brackets and shackles

And, look what Ash sent me!

Tried it out with hickory chips first time

Using mesquite tonight!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
Here's the frame plates I will be using.
After you cut all the brackets off the frame and gring the living crap out of it, it isn't always as pretty as me.
WFO makes these plates out of 3/16" which make it all pretty again and stiffen it all up as well. That portion of the frame is now going to carry the weight and could use some stiffening.

Beau (correct spelling) also makes these shock/coil-over hoops. Last ones I used, I made myself which is just a bunch of work. Easier to buy these quality units and weld them on instead

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
We have some activity!

The axle is strapped down upside down on the pallet in case you were wondering...
That makes the casting number hard to read...Just stand on your head and it clears right up!

I'll see if I can get it pressure blasted and cleaned up some more before grass cutting sets in.

I got the bearing races punched out of the housing as well as both inner axle seals.
I then soaked it with that purple grease remover that takes off your skin, then pressure washed it with hot water.
It's ready for the spark generation tomorrow!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
Here's the knuckles, spindles and hubs

Those hubs get shipped off to WFO Concepts tomorrow to get modified

So, plan tomorrow is to cut those brackets off the diff, then use a new 7" grinder to smooth it all down baby butt like.
Then spray it up with simple green to get oils off and do some scrubbin'
I already have the hubs boxed up, so I'll ship them off to WFO Concepts to be machined for the tone rings so's me's anti-lock brakes still be ah werkin'

I located an axle builder the next town over who has all the cool tools. After I get that axle cleaned down to the molecular level, she's be gettin' a heavy coat of red oxide primer right after the acid bath. Then about a forth of that stack of boxes and that housing will get transported and be morphed into a single unit.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
OK, did some Dana 60 stuff today, we'll look at that in a moment.
The hubs were shipped off to WFO to be modified.
Beau over there now has the order almost complete. It was complete, however we talked and decided to switch out the heims on the track bar for a Johnny joint and a bushing to soften the road bumps and quiet things out some.

So as promised, I cut off the brackets and ground everything flat on both sides.
I then spent about an hour with a 1HP wire cup grinder thing and de-rusted the axle housing. After that it got a coat of primer. This is just a temporary coat of rust inhibitor paint that will be removed before the real painting takes place. That will be after the brackets and tabs get all welded on.

Here's the plasma-Arc festivities:

And the spring mount

The drivers side was a bit more difficult due to the confined space to maneuver in

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
Next the heavy artillery was called in to grind off the rest of the weld and slag

Then the cup wire brush went to work destroying rust buildup and the cartilage in my lower back between L5/S1

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »
Then I sprayed everything with a medium coat of automotive black primer. This coating, again, is just temporary, as I expect it to bet banged all to heck and back installing gears, welding, pulling out the king pin stuff and so forth.

But for now it's good to go

That's it, had to go cut grass, then cook the boyz some tacos!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
All right
Today I think I'll try to get that axle painted up inside and down to the gear install guy and get that part started.
I also have to get the Fox Shocks actually ordered. We have been chitty-chatting about this and that, but it's time to actually get something done!

The topper is not here yet. I make it the last of this week or sometime next week. That's easy. It gets here, they install it...Done!
Well done enough to get it home where I can drill, paint, weld, add to and so forth, typical Don fashion...

Parts to show up? Lots and lots. Beau from WFO sent me a list yesterday two pages long of all the nit-noid pieces parts to make the suspension sing like a homesick angel! We talked about substituting this for that and I gave him the card # which set all that on auto pilot. It may be bagged and shipped, but my money sez he went after the bestest of the best I wanted and will wait those parts out to ship. But after that I will need nothing for the suspension except for those Fox coil-overs.
I was looking over tires and wheels last night. I will need more offset to make the track a little wider, especially in the front. I am really focusing on the right parts and a plain simple steel wheel keeps coming up to the top of the list. It bends and doesn't crack and leak air. It's cheaper. I can modify them into bead locks. I can paint any color I want.
They do, however limit me to 17" tires. If I go that route I'm looking at a new set of shoes...Now there is an area of coming controversy. I may not go full aggressive mud tire. How's about a BFG AT??? I ran them on my H2 and by-golly, they work pretty well in all but pasty stuff. They hook up well on the cheapo chrome strips they put all over those horrid kolean and jap kars, and they wear like steel!
The rear suspension is going to get a shackle flip so that the shackle hangs down like it is supposed to! Ever see anything hanging up? I rest my case!
By playing with the shackle angle, I can achieve more droop out for sure. Those air bags telescoping lower mount might need scruitinizin' but only time will tell. I think I need to get the shackles on and do some measuring. Then I can decide about the mounts, and the length of the shocks. I will be holding onto the Fox shocks until I get that puzzle solved.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »
Easy day today of parts ordering and purchasing.
I picked up a quart of Nasan urethane with hardener in Lycoming gray. I like that color as it's understated and was chosen by Lycoming aircraft engines because it will show cracks and oil leaks more readily than other colors. By using the hardener, should a knuckle or something develop crackitis, then I'll be ah' knowin' prudy quick!

I did get the axle housing prepped for the gears install. I cleaned the case inside a bunch finishing with lacquer thinner. I couldn't even get a rag to discolor, so I know I got it all. Then I sprayed the interior with a good quality UPOL acid etching primer.
Here's some shots

I waited until the stuff was setting up, then wiped the machined surfaces free of the paint with some lacquer thinner.
I ended up applying 3 wet coats

Then the finish...
Tomorrow this housing is off to the gear installer
No I won't be installing these gears this time. The Dana 60 requires a case stretcher tool to expand the case to be able to drop in the carrier with shims.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »
Picked up these King pin Bronze bushings.
They will replace the nylon cone bushings that are normally used and make things even mo-better.
Thanks to Dr. DOT, Shawn for pointing me to them

....KensAuto:
If those bushings need honed, make sure to find an oldtimer that has some experience with knuckle honing and has some good hones. I actually had to start using plastic ones because of the 'talent' that my local machinists' have.( I would end up with as much play or oblong as the old ones had sometimes)

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by a****
Hey don I may have missed it somewhere trough this jungle we call a build thread.. but are updating the steering box at all? Or is the newer factory unit stout enough for a hpd60.

The factory box is a heavy duty unit and will serve proudly. WFO is sending me a HD sized dropped pitman arm in hopes that it will slide over the largish splines of that box. That is the only change which I am doing to that sucker.

I was just over at Performance Off Road, a local 4X4 shop which has been around about as long as I have. They were snooping over the truck and were really excited about the SAS treatment.
They thought that truck was the perfect candidate.
I dropped my axle housing diff and gears for them to install for me.
I had them look over the King Pin cones...We are all agreeing they are in great shape, so it's starting to be a toss up as to whether I change those out or not

Special K: I had no idea I had to hone anything with those bushings...better not need to! I don't want to create work, but make it mo-simpler.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
So Kiddies, big update tonight so pay attention. There will be a short quiz in the near future. People with more than 3 incorrect answers will be permanently expelled from this thread!

OK, first here is a couple of pics of the shipment coming out of WFO which includes most of the suspension parts:

You can see the frame plates, 3/16" steel which will weld over the frame rails.
There are shock hoops and struts, crossover steering (a change) Track bar, bushings, heims, johnny joints, steering bar, tie rods, weld in sleeves, tabs, brackets, bolts, steering arms, a dropped pitman arm and who knows what else.
As extensive as all this is, it is not nearly all of it.
In addition to that will be 12" stroke 2.5" King coil-over shocks with remote reservoirs and dual rate springs, a pair of 2" X 2" stroke air bump stops, Limit straps, a front custom designed 1.25" hollow spring steel sway bar made by Speedway for circle track cars with steel bent ends and heim joints. We just decided to make the front and rear sway bars permanent with a heavy bias toward hitting the rough stuff at speed. There will be a rear sway bar as well, same basic setup of around 1" in diameter.
This truck will not only flex 6 times more than factory at a minimum, but should handle well going around corners as well.
Here's some of the joints we are looking at:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
We also made some big decisions as well
The design was changed to leaf springs instead of radius arms!
OK, just did that to mess with Shawn
I did change from High steer setup to crossover steering.
The reason for that was that since I do not plan to put this truck up in the sky, and have it sit about where it does now, at full compression, the high steer may not clear. So what we decided to do was to mount the crossover steering to the Factory arms with a twist, literally. Instead of having the tie rods mount in from the bottom, I will drill out the hole to 7/8" and insert a tapered sleeve allowing me to drop the tie rod in from above. That moves the crossover steering bar which will be 1.5" heavy wall DOM up a full 3" out of harms way of pesky Hyundai hood ornaments!

Additionally, since the track bar has been bent to provide more clearance around the diff section of the axle, we decided to fish-mouth it and weld a sleeve and use a fixed bushing at that end. I wanted to use a threaded joint, but Beau pointed out that without the bar hard welded to the bushing, it might rotate and get in the way of something. There will be considerable forces at play when this truck is moving.
I already mentioned the decision to go to air bumps instead of poly or rubber bushings. Even though I don't plan to go around jumping this truck, I am building that contingency into the suspension since this is a bonafide survival vehicle.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudakidd53 
Quality stuff and well planned as always- more technical than my level, but sounds like Monster Truck stuff in a daily survival driver!

More like desert pre-runner stuff, especially with the air bumps and way long travel.
There is a reason for the air bumps
and that is finished height.
You see on a 12" stroke shock you could set it up anyway you want...typically people gloss over it and make it for 6" compression (Stuff) and 6" of extension.
However if you were prerunning you might want more compression length and with rock crawling you'd want more droop.
For a survival truck you need good handling and a suspension that can handle whatever you come across, but probably nothing extreme.
Most off road obstacles are mot that big...a hole, a rock and so forth. The off roading crowd choose to go into the hole and over the biggest rock. A survivalist will simply drive through the nearby debris strewn field bypassing the difficult stuff. It's not about cool when your hide is on the line.
So we need a suspension for dirt roads, muddy areas, running over stuff like trees, and wreckage like you would see after a tornado.
Like I said about 500 pages ago, I might be in a situation where I'm being pursued and have to leave the road at a high rate of speed, smash through a fence and then out across a bumpy field to lose my pursuers.
Part of driving at speed is a low center of gravity. Putting a truck in the air is definitely counterproductive but it looks cool. Most people don't think so they raise or lift to, well, look cool.
I need to keep the truck handling well which it seems to do at 6" above factory height with the aid of a widened track, but no higher.
So I know I am using a 12" shock. I will set that up for 4" to 5" of stuff which will establish a shock maybe 26" long. So I have to physically place a 26" long piece on top of the axle and still keep it in the wheel well. So there you go...That and that alone will establish the ride height.
Now I have a shock that will only stuff 4.5" lets say because I don't want to get an ATC clearance to go driving. So what happens when I slam into that ditch doing 55 leaving the highway.
Well, the suspension will only have 4.5" of travel to accommodate those considerable forces...not much you're thinking.
You're right, but you only have maybe 3" tops and likely closer to 2" so I'm already 100% better than stock. A 2.5" shock will double the dampening over the factory sized skinny girl shocks so that is working for me. With the addition of air bumps I can really soften up that last 2" of travel, possibly allowing my suspension and truck to survive leaving the road, where the stock truck would have been totaled.
Now with all that droop out when I come up to a ditch while crawling along the suspension can fall well away from the truck (Unlike stock) and keep the tire which has traction through a locker (Again not possible with the stock stuff) which will keep you going.
That's a readers digest of why all this happened the way it did...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal