Hello Guest

Author Topic: Need Chainsaw Advice  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Need Chainsaw Advice
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 02:13:15 AM »
Great saw. I'm prefer Stihl's but logged with Huskies back 30 years ago....they make good saws. A buddy who owns Huskies and I give each other crap about each other's preference. But they are good for sure. I'll be upgrading my Stihl some time next year prolly. Its got a LOT of hours on it, but it still goes. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
Thanks Wilbur.  I was (am) a Stihl guy too but my local dealer is a great guy and deals and repairs/service Husky.  I learned that this one does not have the Auto Tune function so I will need to learn to tune these and I need to learn to use the round file sharpening files and guide the right way.  Thinking of the muffler mod to start and a good tune after break in.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
One thing I know a lot of people disagree on is whether it's better to sharpen toward the chain or away from the chain. I had always learned to sharpen toward the chain. Then the mill owner I worked for (a real psychopath) saw me doing it that way and screamed I was ruining his saws yada yada yada....I asked him if he sharpened his knives away from the sharp edge or toward it? He of course had some stupid a** comment about how I was a moron etc. So no harm to me, I did them his way while working for him. But I still disagree with the method. I've read it stretches the metal slightly and the sharp edge is thinner which means it dulls faster due to the thinness of the edge. I always sharpen mine toward the chain. Just my $0.02. I know others disagree.

The mill owner? After coming close to killing me a couple of times in the woods I decided I better find some greener pastures. He's still a psycho from what I've heard.....I think it's cause he sharpens his saws wrong. Ha!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 10:03:45 PM »
I've always sharpened a chain blade away myself, how I was taught. To each his own I suppose.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »
I use a dremel bit. 1 pass one way, 1 the other since the teeth alternate, goes pretty fast.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
Towards the edge - into the bulk of the tooth - that's how my sharpening jig holds the file as well, burr edge cuts pushing away from the handle of the file & jig.

"Only pansy lumberjacks use a jig, real ones can eyeball it...."   Yup, and I'm blind in one eye, so I guess I "eyeball" everything!  With the jig and edges set consistent, I can get things sharper and enjoy better results than freehand.  Can do chainsaws and knives freehand with good results, but with a jig, it's kinda fun handing back a friend's crappy quality pocket knife to them after you've just shaved off some of their arm hair with it's now, razor sharp edge!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
FWIW- I inherited an old stihl from my late father. 16-18 bar if I remember. I loved that saw, used since I could pick it up. finally crapped out on me 2 years ago and I really wasn't sold on the new stihls. I even looked at used ones on CL. But I used a friends Husqvarna 435 and I loved it. felt just like the Stihl but damn was it smooth. Now Im the type of guy that always like too much power. So I dropped the coin on a 455 rancher 20" and im always impressed by how powerful it is and easy to handle. a bit heavier than the 435 but I can handle that. ive even seen them as low as $350 in some places, when I bought mine it was $420. but as someone else mentioned, I too broke off the choke lever within the first week of owning it. my local feed store does a buy one get one chain deal for $25 and they even give you a credit for your old chains. sharpening is $5 a chain. I will gladly give them my money.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »
My New Sthil has the on, choke, off on 1 lever and pretty fool proof. Recessed for a right handed thumb.

Way smoother than my old sears-poulan.

I also sharpen w/o a jig. I can be done before the jig is out. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:04:54 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal