Hello Guest

Author Topic: switch from cartridge razor to double edge safety razor  (Read 840 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
switch from cartridge razor to double edge safety razor
« on: March 23, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »
who here has made the switch from a cartridge razor and aerosol cream to a double edge safety razor and manual cream?

I am tired of paying a fortune for cartridge blades that dont last that long as well as the aerosol cans of cream and have decided to give the old method a try. 

i picked up a nice heavy weight adjustable safty razor, cream, bowl, brush and 50 blades.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: switch from cartridge razor to double edge safety razor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »
I use the cartridge still and buy off Amazon in bulk off brand normally. I recently bought bic and they suck.

Worth noting when we were in Cali last month for a few days the wife said my 5 month plus beard growth needed some attention and if you’re not aware I beat Mother Nature to the punch and started shaving my head a couple times a week at start of covid.

So I went to this nice barbershop in Merced and did the straight razor and hot towel treatment on the ol noggin. He did a good job with the exception those disposable cartridges and cream in a can get a much closer shave I found.

Curious to know how it goes Nate……
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 12:54:02 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
I use the cartridge still and buy off Amazon in bulk off brand normally. I recently bought bic and they suck.

Worth noting when we were in Cali last month for a few days the wife said my 5 month plus beard growth needed some attention and if you’re not aware I beat Mother Nature to the punch and started shaving my head a couple times a week at start of covid.

So I went to this nice barbershop in Merced and did the straight razor and hot towel treatment on the ol noggin. He did a good job with the exception those disposable cartridges and cream in a can get a much closer shave I found.

Curious to know how it goes Nate……

i feel you on the hair loss, i saw it happening a few years ago when having to deal with people that are no longer in my life and have embraced the manual bald.  when i first moved here, i found a barber shop with this young lady who knew how to actually shave faces and heads with straight blades (i had never felt my head that smooth before).  i would fork over the $$$ every 2 weeks because she did that good of a job.  sad thing is, once all of this fear mongering crap started, she was one of the ones that got hit hardest.  i havent been able to find her since. 

i just got that one the other day and have a few more days before i give it a try. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
I am thinking mine is handed down from my grandad. All was good until I got out of Army and wearing cook hats. Now doing the shave the head thing and the throw away cartridge works ok. Still have the ring around, just the top of head is bare. Got tired of finding enough for a combover.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
I have a couple of safety razors I got from my grandfather and a boars hair brush.  Still have some old/new in box Gillette blades.

I use Gillette fusion 4 blade refills and get good results without looking like my Asian edged weapon trainer worked me over……

I did move away from can shave cream to a soap/shave cream.

It lasts well over a year.  L’occitane is the brand.  Don’t judge me.  I started using it when I was in the store buying some stuff for my wife’s Mother’s Day present about 8 years ago…

https://www.loccitane.com/en-us/cade-shaving-soap-20SB100H20.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 08:22:49 PM »
I happens across this today

https://youtu.be/s92UMJNjPIA

I have a straight blade from my father and only used/attempted once. I bled all over my upper lip and said not again.

I do have a double Safty razor from my grandpa, have never tried it.   The blade looks the same as a straight blade to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »

Thought this was fitting…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 11:17:51 PM »
I've used the 4 blade system from "Harry's" for years. I'm on a plan. Every month or two a new refill box arrives and I'm charged around $11. I then started buying their shaving cream and after shave. They use German blades, but they do not hold an edge very long
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »
I've used the 4 blade system from "Harry's" for years. I'm on a plan. Every month or two a new refill box arrives and I'm charged around $11. I then started buying their shaving cream and after shave. They use German blades, but they do not hold an edge very long
You're using Harry's after what they did?
never would've thought....

I'd recommend watching the video Dave posted. They created their own razor in response and in direct competition.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:09:41 AM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 08:17:09 PM »

I'd recommend watching the video Dave posted. They created their own razor in response and in direct competition.

Oh No...! What did they do?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 08:41:33 AM »
I made the switch awhile ago Nate. However, I also don't shave my beard off very often, but I do shave under my jaw and neck to keep it clean. It takes a little practice to get used to the technique so you don't end up cutting yourself constantly.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 12:11:04 PM »

Oh No...! What did they do?

Ben Shapiro said, "Boys are boys and girls are girls" and Harry's pulled their advertisement from their Daily Wire.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
I cancelled everything I had from Harry's...Switching the Jeremy's razors
Wasn't aware of how awful a company they were...Biased Woke and soon hopefully, broke libtrards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal