Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Radio/Comms

GMRS: Who is using them?

<< < (6/6)

husker77c:

--- Quote from: JR on April 06, 2016, 01:19:01 PM ---More,,,,,,,,,,,,,

--- End quote ---

Yep. Post a thread on your repeater.  I'd like to see it.   

The UV-5Rs are great little radios for the money.  I have a couple that we use for road trips. 

But seriously I'd love to see your repeater set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenriswolf039:
OK... I'm embarrassed to say that my garage is in disarray and it would probably take me an hour to get to it right now... BUT:

Here is a quick youtube video that shows how it works.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9faCP4rZbg

The interface used to connect the two radios is $24.99 on Amazon, http://smile.amazon.com/SainSonic-RPT-2D-Two-way-Repeater-Transceivers/dp/B00ITN0T0G?ie=UTF8&keywords=baofeng%20repeater%20interface&qid=1459980186&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The antennas need to be at least 5 meters apart for it to work well without a duplexer, so the way I solved this problem is by putting the second antenna on the end of a 20 foot cable.  It can be tricky getting that second antenna up in a neighboring tree.  I use fishing line tied to a rock, throw it over a branch, and pull it up with the line.

Now that I saw that post in the other thread about the tennis ball launcher, I'm going to have to build one of those so I can get this rig WAY up in the air, increase my range!

Flyin6:
One of those is going up in that tower I plan to build!

I like it!

What sort of range could one get between radios with that repeater half way in between? Let's say rolling hills topography...?

fenriswolf039:
Bearing in mind that line of sight is needed, the higher you get the repeater radios in the air, the farther you will be able to reach.

In theory, these radios putting out 4 watts should be able to get you a solid 20-30 mile range without any trouble.

If you're building a tower, you'll want to look into some real repeater gear.  This outfit is for intermittent use only, and is not what I'd call robust in terms of standing up to heavy radio traffic.  It works well for camping trips and such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version