Hello Guest

Author Topic: So we bought s smoker....  (Read 2913 times)

OldKooT

So we bought s smoker....
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
Yesterday I tried very hard to purchase a smoker. I was set on the idea of buying a Green Mountain grill. I called every dealer within 200 miles of us. My plan was to just go buy one, load it up and be smoking ASAP> "because Nate"

For reasons I can't explain simply, the prices on the same grill varied by almost $300. The lowest priced one was still almost $200 higher than I was told they cost in hippy land. Very odd, since EVERY dealer told me they were on sale.... anyway.

While I was mentioning these price discrepancies to my wife as she had her nose in her laptop, ranting low key about how maybe I should become a dealer for such items as clearly the mark up was quite good.....she declares the following.

"I just now bought a smoker, it will be here this week maybe, Relax"  My first thought...she actually has her credit card #'s memorized... sneaky.

Next post:

OldKooT

Re: So we bought s smoker....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
Her smoker selection criteria....

The smoker needs to smoke a large Turkey, or a large ham, it has to sear a ribeye, or say smoke a leg quarter.

It has to be light enough she can move it *not sure why*

Portable enough we can take it to Husker games, or Auto crossing, car shows, or down to the shop. *guessing this is why*

It can't rely on electricity to operate.

It has to be simple because .... never mind why.

So her selection was/is a "Pit Barrel Cooker"  the link https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/

She bought the entire deal including "accessories" for $365 shipped to our door. So I have decided I will do a review of said "cooker" when it arrives. The a review of my attempts to use it...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
well dang it norm, I could have come out that way and showed you how to make one for $160.

but for real, congratulations, you'll love it.

when you get it, let me know and I can either come out there and give you all the block of inst on how to use it or I can try it over the phone.

just make sure that you get "lump charcoal" they sell it at lowes.  it burns better and longer than the briquettes.

on another note, my cow is done and i am heading out to the cordova meat locker tomorrow to pick it up.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
I do think you should become a dealer, then give us "special" pricing (well maybe not Ken due to his affiliation with H) but I like the idea. And now you have a building where you could put a showroom too...... :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
Honestly making one was the plan...I think she just didn't want to wait for me to actually do it LoL  Because still no air/welder at the shop...

I was going to buy her that fancy E smoker thingy like Shawn has and come to find out she wants to drag it to games n such...*news to me.

Either or, you guys will get to watch the process..the triumph, the despair right here.

She even said since it's inexpensive I can "modify it" if I want to.....

Shawn.... The idea of said building is so I can hide, not talk to people LoL

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
Kay bought you a burn barrel.........  :grin:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
well dang it norm, I could have come out that way and showed you how to make one for $160.

but for real, congratulations, you'll love it.

when you get it, let me know and I can either come out there and give you all the block of inst on how to use it or I can try it over the phone.

just make sure that you get "lump charcoal" they sell it at lowes.  it burns better and longer than the briquettes.

on another note, my cow is done and i am heading out to the cordova meat locker tomorrow to pick it up.

Can we get a write up on the $160 one ;)

On another note, if koot goes to husker games or did when they were decent, he's probably happy to have Scott frost as the new coach?

OldKooT

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
LoL @ burn barrel. In effect yes....but as she pointed out. The last drum smoker lasted 3 years and it was powder coated. I ended up spending $145 to powder coat it......So big picture hard to purchase a barrel, ceramic coat it, build a fire box and such and not spend close to the $299 buy in on this barrel.

But..... as soon as I find a stainless 30 gallon barrel...I may experiment and build a pellet cooker for the deck I still need to build LoL

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
As for the Huskers....

The tailgating at Memorial stadium is world class...best food and widest variety you have ever seen I wager. Visiting fans eat free is the tradition. Drinking free is also quite normal.

Frost was the plan 3 years ago....now we shall see what he can do with the present mess we have. May be a rocky year or two, we shall see. We spent a boat load of $$$, lots of restructuring, fired a AD, corralled some alumni.....ducks are in a row, now we just need to see what he and the boys can do.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
So we bought s smoker....
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
As for the Huskers....

The tailgating at Memorial stadium is world class...best food and widest variety you have ever seen I wager. Visiting fans eat free is the tradition. Drinking free is also quite normal.

Frost was the plan 3 years ago....now we shall see what he can do with the present mess we have. May be a rocky year or two, we shall see. We spent a boat load of $$$, lots of restructuring, fired a AD, corralled some alumni.....ducks are in a row, now we just need to see what he and the boys can do.

Never been to memorial stadium, but mom and dad have, she graduated there. And then the rest of my extended family lives in NE, one in Lincoln a few in Omaha, grand island and blue hill and Hastings. All big red fans or alum.

Frost did well with UCF so there's hope!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:35:25 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
Ive seen them before. Never used one but looks like it should work just fine.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 03:23:43 PM »
Short update: I got a E mail from PBC. It has shipped, and should be here hopefully Friday at the latest.

My wife picked up a Cured 20lb organic Ham yesterday, so Christmas Morning we will get a real test. Then a few planned "modifications" shall begin.

OldKooT

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
An update for those who are interested:

We smoked a 12 lb turkey in the Pit Cooker last night. Took just under 3 hours. Ran the barrel at 270 degrees... basically lit it and forgot it.

The Turkey came out extremely moist, golden brown skin,with wonderful Mulberry smoked flavor.

I had to hang the turkey a bit to the side, this worked out well because I wanted to test if it could do two 12lb birds at once... it can. Despite being within a half inch of the barrel side, both sides of the bird heated evenly and temped the same when done. So two 12-14lb birds at once is very doable.

Of interest: We smoked this bird with 6lbs of blue Kingsford roughly. The barrel warmed up to 312 degrees, then settled to 270 ish for the remainder of the cook. I never touched anything...

After we smoked the bird I played with it and found the temp can be moderated lower or higher very easily. At 7 hours it still was rolling along at 240 degrees. Outside temps were down to 20F most of the cook...so no problem using this in a blizzard looks like.

overall quite happy, we now have a handy portable use anywhere smoker that doesn't require electricity.

Christmas day it will get a real test.... smoked Christmas ham/red taters and sweet corn.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Norm, we’re civilized here & we have rules......

Pics or it didn’t happen!!!! :popcorn:

OldKooT

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »

Where did you get that pic from the Betty Crocker website? Lol stick poke   :tongue:

OldKooT

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
The pic was right next to this one on ma phone...

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
Looks like pretty good results right there. Mouth watering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
Dang that looks good!
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »
I agree, not too shabby Norm!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
Pretty good first cook Norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
Thanks guys.... we shall see how the Christmas Ham turns out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
Yummy
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
Better looking than anything I've cooked.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal