Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck will not shut off  (Read 1004 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Truck will not shut off
« on: December 20, 2022, 05:44:31 PM »
So grandson came to visit us this weekend, when he went to leave I noticed a u joint clunk on his truck so I sent him home with mine which is 2 1/2 hour drive away one way. He called me today and said he he can turn the key off, remove the key and get out of the truck. The truck will shut down if you pull the ecm fuse in the engine bay. I'm think that it most likely would be the ignition switch but wanted to ask what else it could be and is there a better way to shut the truck off besides pulling the ecm fuse. The truck is an 06 chevy with the LLY /LBZ engine

Thanks
Steve

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:38:47 AM by Nate »

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Truck will not shut off
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 09:26:16 AM »
I had similar on my 08 turn the key off and it would run on for 1-3 min.  the mechanic traced it to the trans. control module!  I don't know how that could do it, but mechanic is a friend and it's never done it again. So if the key doesn't do it maybe look that way.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »
I had the kid swap the starter and ecm relay, clear the P2510 code and restarted. Same problem and code comes back , he also told me that the radio, cts and lift pump all stay running. I'm thinking ignition switch but not sure

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »
I haven’t come across this so I don’t have anything to offer but wanted ya to know I’ll support what ever ya do lol moral support from Utah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »
Going drive up and swap his truck for mine and bring it home. Will swap out the switch looks to be pretty easy if it doesn't work I will disconnect the batteries and wait for it to get warmer. Tonight low is 3 deg with a wind chill of -25 deg. After the military there is nothing in me that wants to get out in that to drive anywhere. Well unless the wife gets on my nerves and I will go to the shop and work on it.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 01:50:42 PM »
I haven’t come across this so I don’t have anything to offer but wanted ya to know I’ll support what ever ya do lol moral support from Utah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dave. Moral support is good

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 01:51:55 PM »
I had similar on my 08 turn the key off and it would run on for 1-3 min.  the mechanic traced it to the trans. control module!  I don't know how that could do it, but mechanic is a friend and it's never done it again. So if the key doesn't do it maybe look that way.
Thanks for the input. I'm like you I don't see how those are connected but if it works don't mess with it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 03:58:31 PM »
I had the same issue on my 06, and it was actually a bad door sensor.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
04 yukon, body control codes, door codes, all traced back to faulty ignition switch. if you recall, GM had a bunch FALL OUT of the steering column on people. several deaths. just not enough for a full blown recall. same issue on the denali, turned off w/ key out and just kept running. if you have ANY jiggle up and down in the lock cylinder it's junk. I believe that you are in the same year group for the cylinder. problems showed up in 04+ models and they did nothing about it until 2014.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 10:11:43 PM »
Replaced the ignition switch and shuts off as it should. New switch has a dead spot, I can live with it for now but will exchange it when it warms up outside, at -25 F I don't even want to open the door. Thanks for all  the information and support

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 10:27:46 AM »
oof, i was complaining yesterday about shoveling snow in 12*F, guess I'll shut up now.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal