PERSONAL READINESS > Soldier Up

New Goals

(1/5) > >>

stlaser:
So since moving to CO in June I was running 3-5 miles approx. 3x per week. First month or two the altitude change really dragged on me. We currently live at 5300' here in Northern CO. On black Friday we purchased an annual discounted gym membership for the family in the huge complex called the Erie Rec Center. Since then I have been hitting the gym 3-4x per week on average sometimes more. I have revisited my long lost love of Precor ellipticals and the model I'm currently beating myself up on is a 100i. This machine is very low impact and right now I'm at 45 min around 680 calories burned and 3.5 miles at a level 9 on the resistance scale for the machine. At this pace I'm drenched by the time 45 mins is up. Approximately once a week I up the resistance level. My goal is to work up to a level 12 resistance and then increase my miles to 5 miles in 45 minutes. This was my mid 20's cardio workout and I could run forever it seemed. Currently I am not winded at this pace, once I get to the level 12 and start cutting my times we'll see if that's still the case. I figure 40 is creeping up and I'm going to go down fighting. I'm also doing some very light lifting (more of a cardio workout) and biking on occasion. Then end goal is to lose weight, gain a lot of endurance and try my hand at hiking some 14'ers this spring and summer. I have noticed that the family is following my lead especially the wife unit. Not doing anything real special for diet other than staying away from soda, sugar and limiting bread intake.

BobbyB:
Good times right there. My buddy was stationed in CO, and he used to lead his unit in PT up the Manitou incline. Some people I know who moved out there hike it as well, so give it a shot, well once it's warm.

stlaser:
Bobby, copy I'll look that up. Wife bough me a book on hiking co for my b-day. We're also planning on doing some dispersed camping this year. Family fun & trial run for when not so pleasantries begin......

Edit: looked that up, couple hours south of me but it's free & looks to be a good time. 1 mile & 2,000' climb......

Flyin6:
FYI: one half of the earth's atmosphere exists from sea level up to 4,000 feet, so at a mile high, you are already on the short side. To compensate, the human body will actually generate an extra quart of blood over a year or two depending on physical exertion.
Two points here: You will have more endurance having trained at altitude than the beach combers. Secondly, going higher has less of an effect up to a point.

The tipping points are 10,000, 12,000, and 14,000 feet
Military Aviators can fly at 10,000 indefinitely
Above that from 10,000-12,000 they are limited to an hour max without supplemental O2
From 12,000-14,000 you are limited to 30 min max, and from experience closer to the top end only works if you have been working out.
Aviators need to be on O2 constantly for any flights above 14,000 for any amount of time. You will find it really difficult above or around 12,000.
I sure saw that over in Afghanistan!

stlaser:
Good info, suppose that's why they sell the o2 cans in all the sporting goods stores.... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version