PERSONAL READINESS > Soldier Up

Krav Maga

(1/7) > >>

stlaser:
Ok, so gunna throw this out here.

So my oldest (I have 3 daughters) who is about six months shy of turning 15 comes to me last night & states she wants to do a self defense class. She's 5'4" (takes after her mom in height dept unfortunately) & gets the boys attention more than I care for, she is smart in that she is big on personal safety & space. A little back ground here is that she is also going into high school, she plays basketball & is extremely disciplined as far as training. She lives at the gym between doing her ball handling & shooting routine. Then add in her own personal weight / cardio program & this volt system the kids all use in the local high school athletics. Honestly, she amazes me in that she's the type whatever she puts her mind to she will accomplish. Describing her as driven is a bit of an understatement. I realize I'm her Dad saying that but at the same time my other two do not have her drive, sorry kiddos....

So anyhow Krav Maga is pretty big out here, pretty intense & best I can tell about the best self defense system out there. Her being a girl they focus on finalizing things quickly & aggresively which I like for her. So I'll support her in whatever she wants to do but here's the catch. She wants me the old man to do this with her. ???

I'm not opposed but at the same time am really questioning do I really want to kill myself at this point. When it comes to fitness I'm no pansy doing 20-30 miles on my bike a week (just purchased couple weeks ago still working up) & on average 16-20 miles on the elliptical along with weights. However, I'm far from 20 years old & things just don't work like they used to as I'm pushing 40. Part of my concern goes into keeping my joints healthy as I've had some issues in the past so I really try to focus on low impact (reason I use an elliptical versus running). The other part is do I have the ambition to do this?

So anyone out there have any experience with this system? Figure I'll go have talk with local instructor & get their sales pitch so hoping I can find an external sounding board. I realize most of you old farts probably don't even know what I'm talking about but hoping maybe Bobby or some young-un will see this and chime in..... ;D & if you old guys know something, or not and just want to rib me I fully expect no less from this crowd for the record. ;D

So thoughts?

cudakidd53:
Having nearly dropped performing manual labor this week at almost 53 in 96 degree heat and close to that humidity......I say DO IT!  Why am I pushing you in said direction?  Because YOUR DAUGHTER ASKED YOU TO......for a teen to want to be involved like this with her father in today's society is a huge thing, and not to be passed-up as it's not likely to happen again, if the request is "passed" on.......you can get your joints repaired/replaced later and may very well have to anyway from your description.  The strength that you and your daughter will gain in your relationship will far outweigh any "boo-boos" incurred in the process! ;)

BobbyB:
I'd say go talk to the instructor(s), there may be more than one training site. Talk to them about their training techniques, bring up any things you think might cause a problem down the road... bad knees/back or whatnot. Bring your daughter, they might even allow you two to have a free session to try it out. Sure you'll probably (definitely) be sore for a few days, but it is what it is.

If I was in Colorado, I'd give it a whirl.

stlaser:
Back is good, one knee gets pissed often. Other concern is my hands go numb (holding bike handles etc for long periods of time) which is most likely nerve damage from years of pounding steel. But yeah I've been researching it & one outfit has 4 locations in Colorado with good reviews. Definitely will be sore that's a given, heck I moved 3k # of retaining wall stone the other day and still kicking my butt.

I agree it's an opportunity with my daughter that I shouldn't pass up. Plus it will push me to the next level in my workout I believe. The other thought is it will give both of us more tools at the same time.

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: stlaser on August 06, 2016, 11:26:10 AM ---Back is good, one knee gets pissed often. Other concern is my hands go numb (holding bike handles etc for long periods of time) which is most likely nerve damage from years of pounding steel. But yeah I've been researching it & one outfit has 4 locations in Colorado with good reviews. Definitely will be sore that's a given, heck I moved 3k # of retaining wall stone the other day and still kicking my butt.

I agree it's an opportunity with my daughter that I shouldn't pass up. Plus it will push me to the next level in my workout I believe. The other thought is it will give both of us more tools at the same time.

--- End quote ---

I'd check all 4 places out, see which one feels right. Then give it a whirl, I'm sorta jealous cause there's no places around here to give it a try; well at least that I've heard of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version