Hello Guest

Author Topic: Why a macerating pump system for the RV  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Why a macerating pump system for the RV
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
About 5 years ago I purchased a portable macerating waste pump. I was tired of dealing with sewer pipes in camping areas either too far away or higher than my waste gate. Dump stations don't always work for me either but with the pump system I can park on a level spot within 150ft. and pump out the tanks. Camping in a no hookup area is no problem. If there isn't a sewer dump site on the way home I can clean out at home. When I get home I park the trailer attach the pump and pump into the sewer clean out next to the house. There are a few brands of macerating systems to choose from and most use the same pump with varying attachments and hoses etc. I chose the Sani Con Portable as it works best for my use. It has its own storage box with places to store tools and spare parts.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: Why a macerating pump system for the RV
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »
The system will pump about 150 ft. and I have pumped up to 5 ft. higher than my waste gate. It came with a 1" hose 7ft. long that stretches out  to 21 ft. I bought and extra 20ft. of 1" hose and a 75 ft. heavy duty 3/4" contractors hose which I cut into two pieces. A few plastic nipples and brass fittings and I was set.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
For the power I used 10ga. low voltage landscape light wire, a 20amp fuse near the battery, and a good heavy duty set of electric connector plugs. I use the same connector plugs for my 12 volt air compressor. I store the wiring and the extra 1" X 20ft. hose in a small compartment in the front of the trailer. Get the trailer somewhat level, hook on the pump hook the discharge end up and clean out the tanks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:38:05 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »
I did add a clear plastic elbow to the pump so I could tell what was happening at the pump. making sure liquid is there, and how clean the tanks are. I might add another knife valve at the pump attachment so that in case the pump stops working I won't have quite as big a mess to deal with. Gravity brings the liquids from the tanks to the pump, so if there is a problem, the valve can be closed at the pump so you can work on it or have another plan.
 One big thing is to not put anything but water, human waste, and toilet paper in the tank. Tell the wife and kids nothing else goes into the tank as the pump will not chew it up. You will need to use the knife valve to stop the flow from the tanks and fix the pump.
Just like the 3" sewer hose, dump the black tank first and then rinse with the gray tanks. get the water out of the hoses, screw on the caps, and put it all away for the next time.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
Hey Bob,

How come every time you post a pic the ground always seems to be wet? ;-))
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
Those photos don't show wet, wet was today and I wasn't outside in it.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
...Little Don who was used to nice weather moved up there, and now he complains about all the rain and the 8 clear weather days you get annually!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal