Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/bugout site build thread Part 1  (Read 192861 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/bugout site build thread
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
Minute of deer or elk works well then
Too much math reading..  :-\

I know what you're saying.

Bob, you are correct.

Bobby,  think of it like a pilot talking about how they calculate their approach, payload, yadi yadi mojo and stuff to the nth degree and all you know is that you phone in a grid coordinate and stuff disappears.   Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
Don, I favor, if time effort and money were not the primary considerations...

Build a concrete foundation and walls about 8-10 ft high.  Then use the red tractor thingy to gently mound soil up to near the top so you in essence have a basement on which you build a modest frame residence with a loft.  From the front it looks like a normal house with no indication that there is a basement underneath.  Landscaping helps the fabricated roll to the land look natural and you don't have to deal with sub terrain excavation and forming for concrete. You have a porch and the house appears to be a foot or so off the ground on piers, disguised by a wrap around porch.  Inside you have a closet with hidden access to the basement.  All the real supplies and stuff under the house and just enough diversionary goods semi secured in the main residence to make a would be intruder think they have stumbled upon something while never realizing that there is  1000+ sq ft of secure storage underground.  Extra credit for 3ft concrete pipe from the basement to a location down hill about 100-150 ft away disguised by a planter, decorative garden Nome or other.  If you don't want to go that far you can make a short exit that comes up next to the house underneath a second AC unit that is a shell so that you tilt it to one side on a hinge and exfil from the basement
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
Agree with you about Pole Barn option, with second favorite being small home with wrap around porch.

Great photos of "Ranger" and her "handler"; thanks for sharing!

BTW- John Deere "Tractor" and NOT A DOZER!  From looks of trailer tire and rim, lost tire and then the rim got dented.   Can't imagine how you didn't feel that poor Prius it vaulted over before then........
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
Don, I favor, if time effort and money were not the primary considerations...

Build a concrete foundation and walls about 8-10 ft high.  Then use the red tractor thingy to gently mound soil up to near the top so you in essence have a basement on which you build a modest frame residence with a loft.  From the front it looks like a normal house with no indication that there is a basement underneath.  Landscaping helps the fabricated roll to the land look natural and you don't have to deal with sub terrain excavation and forming for concrete. You have a porch and the house appears to be a foot or so off the ground on piers, disguised by a wrap around porch.  Inside you have a closet with hidden access to the basement.  All the real supplies and stuff under the house and just enough diversionary goods semi secured in the main residence to make a would be intruder think they have stumbled upon something while never realizing that there is  1000+ sq ft of secure storage underground.  Extra credit for 3ft concrete pipe from the basement to a location down hill about 100-150 ft away disguised by a planter, decorative garden Nome or other.  If you don't want to go that far you can make a short exit that comes up next to the house underneath a second AC unit that is a shell so that you tilt it to one side on a hinge and exfil from the basement
Well, building this thing, I am planning on a couple of "options" that I may not publicize. But def thinking along the same line as you mention.

I want cost to be a factor, i.e. low to no. That would suggest using a lot of site sourced materials. So I have thousands of Cedar trees which could saw down into all the posts I'd ever need. Side bennies: Cedar hardly rots, has a pleasant scent, and insects like roaches and termites can't stand the fragrance.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
Agree with you about Pole Barn option, with second favorite being small home with wrap around porch.

Great photos of "Ranger" and her "handler"; thanks for sharing!

BTW- John Deere "Tractor" and NOT A DOZER!  From looks of trailer tire and rim, lost tire and then the rim got dented.   Can't imagine how you didn't feel that poor Prius it vaulted over before then........
You know Mike, I think it was the devil or one of his demons
Allow me to explain
The trip down there is somewhat problematic as the roads are not the widest and very curvy. But they are also sparkly traveled because not many folks like there and enroute.
Along that whole route is one terrible constriction. A bridge that gets you down to two country lanes and not an inch to spare on either side with concrete abutments.

Coming home at night As I approach that narrow, another truck is approaching as well. I slow to space some and I guess he must have also. We meet exactly at the narrowest point,
and
He is towing this enormous boat!
I didn't feel it, but there simply wasn't enough room for the both of us. I steered right which must have put my trailer into the abutment, but in the white knuckle moment, I didn't feel anything.

Now having said that, once before, a year ago I had that trailer down to the farm and I hit a dirt/rock wall on the drive back into the place and ripped off one of the aft legs you lower to stabilize the trailer when off-loading. So the road in is that bad and could have feasibly been the cause.

That road, horrible as it is, actually denies some traffic from actual entry, so it is a good thing. I may not mess with it all that much for that reason...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
Glad you're okay- my father refers to that as an "underwear puckering moment" which I can say I've experienced plenty.  One had the race car trailer come off the hitch and had to use the truck bumper to stop it at speed.  Needless to say, since then, I'm the only one who attaches a trailer that I'm going to tow.

You going to be able to get Concrete Trucks back there?

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »

Psh... acquire a mixer, mix yourself, and go from there. Make it a workout... or not ;D

Speaking of workout has the mean lady from the gym been nice to you?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »

I think so

If I contract the basement, it won't be my problem ;-))

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »

I think so

Ooohhh, double efficiency!  Contract foundation, they widen the road by incidental contact!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 09:38:18 PM »

I think so

Ooohhh, double efficiency!  Contract foundation, they widen the road by incidental contact!
Good thinkin'!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:12 AM »
I like the idea of low cost and a little known basement with escape/entry route, more than one,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would dig down for the basement though, keeping the main structure just above the surroundings so it doesn't look out of place. Just be sure the basement is not to low compared to the surroundings or it will flood. Heck, even have secondary basement with the stores that leads to an access.

You now, they are about giving away railroad ties as they do upgrades. Stack those against a container and you insulation and rust protection.

As for batteries, look at a forklift battery. They say life spans are 20+ years with of grid systems. Don't go AGM, lead acid is better. I also see mono panels are going for .55 a watt now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
I like the idea of low cost and a little known basement with escape/entry route, more than one,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would dig down for the basement though, keeping the main structure just above the surroundings so it doesn't look out of place. Just be sure the basement is not to low compared to the surroundings or it will flood. Heck, even have secondary basement with the stores that leads to an access.

You now, they are about giving away railroad ties as they do upgrades. Stack those against a container and you insulation and rust protection.

As for batteries, look at a forklift battery. They say life spans are 20+ years with of grid systems. Don't go AGM, lead acid is better. I also see mono panels are going for .55 a watt now.

Might be a basement...Drives up my cost 15K(ish). But darn near doubles up on the space. Second basement...possibly. I have some ideas here.
Kentucky has cave systems...
No RR ties, Cresode destroys soils, and they catch fire and burn forever.

Forklift batteries: Definitely
I have a friend who owns a company that uses a leading edge technology where they ultrasonically shake batteries...Dead batteries. This shakes all the plaque off the plates and restores them to like new condition.
He can collect forklift batteries for free...do the shake thing and voila!
I told him I will be needing 6 or 8 of them...

His business is shaking aircraft batteries. Those cost $1500 and more each so that's where the money is, but the technology is the same

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
So that's why batteries last so long in my wife's Acura- crappy Illinois roads keep the scale shook off!

Question for you on your land Don- do you own the mineral rights?  Was one of the things a friend of mine in Ohio said I'd need to check into, were I to retire to the Blue Grass state- suppose it would include caves/caverns too?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
So that's why batteries last so long in my wife's Acura- crappy Illinois roads keep the scale shook off!

Question for you on your land Don- do you own the mineral rights?  Was one of the things a friend of mine in Ohio said I'd need to check into, were I to retire to the Blue Grass state- suppose it would include caves/caverns too?
I do!
Own everything down to the earth's core!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
hmmmm. Wonder if you'un gots some natural gas somewhere on that's property....that would be some steady income from heres to eternity!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »
hmmmm. Wonder if you'un gots some natural gas somewhere on that's property....that would be some steady income from heres to eternity!

yeah but is the cost of finding and drilling it worth it?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
Sign a lease with one of the drilling outfits and let them pay the upfront costs.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »

My neighbor and his siblings (all retired) are living nicely off of 3 oil wells in SD, from there parents farm. None of them wanted to carry on the family business (was always in the hole) so they let the drillers come in, they paid for everything. All my buddy had to do was sign a contract for a percentage of what they pump.
I have another friend that has a backwoods property in Maryland, with a single gas well pumping 1200.00 into his bank account every month, without lifting a finger. that income paid for the mortgage on the property, so basically, he got it for free.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2015, 08:03:36 AM »
That's all very interesting

Lots of gas and oil plays here in the Tucky

Don't know if I want the company though

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2015, 11:45:15 PM »
I think the second you let any company in to do drilling. You have have all the reason for what you have. Between who knows who is there checking out your site, then the inspectors and f e d s come too.

How many batteries? With that many you could run events!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2015, 12:17:47 AM »
I have power lines and two transformers on the property, so we have all the power you'd ever need for events, but 6 batteries with cells to support them would get you off grid for good

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
Just had a good day working on the site.

Object remains to open it up and reclaim what nature is gobbling back up and get the road in there useable

One thing about that road, it remains true to it's ability to inflict damage. I have received damage every single time I have ventured down that 7/10ths of a mile stretch.
Today I was crawling back in there with my tractor with the commercial box blade attached (Read: Heavy) and as I drove up on one bank to keep from rutting the same patch every time, we heard a POW!

The sound was just like you drove over a 2 liter coke bottle and it exploded, or like when an air bag explodes...that sort of a sound

Heavy load for 4WD low range crawlin':

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »
Duane got busy right away on those pesky locust trees

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
I worked on the road in for a couple hours. I cut some of it wider and dragged a lot of it flat, knocking down the crown. Did some more de-limbing, then it was back to the site area for more cutting

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
We brought one child labor person each and gave them the heavy work...builds character. They stacked that tree I dropped on the farm house over by the area where I am building a new fire pit

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »
I bush hogged this power line access. It's 160 meters to the 1st pole and 284 to the second

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
There are now some stumps to sit on...talk about basics!

The tractor is now permanently situated there along with the bush hog and the box scrapper.

I located an old Kentucky homesteader well. Darn near dropped a wheel into it while chewing up a patch of briars. I also found two more natural springs and the limestone there is definitely running water, so getting that won't be an issue, just require some engineering.

The boys did some prerequisite weapons training shooting at that wedge of tree I cut out to prevent the tree from falling on the house.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
I bush hogged one entire field claiming it back. I am restoring the fields and cutting trails everywhere at the moment to figure out what I am sitting on. It's fun work and I am discovering all sorts of building materials as I go along

I did some more work around the house which will soon be torched. I removed all the waste trees, which left none! I did uncover some big beds of Iris flowers though and what Duane is thinking might be a collapsed root cellar.

There is a disorganized pile of stones which curiously are rectangular and square, like someone made them that way. Finding that stuff is helping me formulate a site plan. I want to recycle and incorporate a lot of what I have laying around to keep the project inexpensive, cool, and, limit the number of folks that might have to stop by

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
This looks like so much fun! Thank you for sharing with us. I'm jealous!  :D
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
So what was the loud bang....another tire?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »
So what was the loud bang....another tire?

I was wondering the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Will all/most of the new power line be underground as to be in the way or advertise?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Don't know how much an above ground power drop will advertise, but am betting a well used driveway and the range noise might tip off at least a few people that the place isn't a normal farm.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
BDNRB (big don's new rule book) has a paragraph that states;
"All firearms used on Farm must be equipped with a can sufficient enough to lower dba's to no more than 85...." lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:30:59 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
The sound, sorta like an air bag popping was....

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »

CMax's airbag in the rear end?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »

CMax's airbag in the rear end?
Yup
Flexed hard with that trailer doing a weird off camber trying to stay out of a mud hole and KA-POW
One rubber bag went to air bag heaven

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:26 PM »
That loaded trailer wasn't all that heavy. Was it just from the flexing of the rear axle on the truck compressing the bag? More heavy duty set needed?

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »
...trying to stay out of a mud hole...

We didn't try to stay out of the mud hole...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:25:01 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
That loaded trailer wasn't all that heavy. Was it just from the flexing of the rear axle on the truck compressing the bag? More heavy duty set needed?
It was due to extreme flexing angle and rate gettin' there of the truck. But there was a lot of tongue weight on the truck already.
I've flexed the truck that much several times in the past with no incident, so I'm pretty sure the added ton or so of tongue weight did the trick

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
sounds like square d might get running sooner than later so cmax can get some more modification
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
sounds like square d might get running sooner than later so cmax can get some more modification

??????????????????????running
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:42:06 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »
^^^^ I'm sensing a little impatience up there  :-\

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
I want to see how that 46r works out. Mine is supposed to be good (spun off the flywheel) but don't really want "stock".

Just got a quote for around 4k for a 47rh w/tc and all billet parts. Kinda putting the cart before the horse though as the lift and axles are going on first, then the swap.

Anyway looks like you are really having a great time on the farm, wish I was closer,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
Getting going again. Basically I get 1-2 days a week down there, so I have to maximize my time there.

Everytime we go, the idea is to reclaim what Nature has been busy taking back. So lots of brush clearing, road repair and the like. It also continues to be a time of discovery, figuring out what I have all over that tract.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »
I was bush hogging everything...including my Husky chainsaw!

Yup, chopped that thing up into many smaller pieces!

Note to self: When you get done with a tool, put it up!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
Well, that dog won't hunt!

But no time to cry over spilt milk, just got to keep moving.

The boys and I wanted to improve our camping situation there, so we built up the supply of wood to burn and gathered stones and put up this fire pit:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
I bush hogged two more fields, clearing away years of brush and leaving what now looks like meadows.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »
I was also able to open up some of the road that is located on my farm, about a mile deep in Kentucky backwoods

I apparently own large beds of Iris flowers. Here's one alongside the "road"

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2015, 10:02:18 PM »
Tractor, bush hog, truck, and trailer all came out without further damage. I guess I checked that block when I chewed up my Husky saw

Oh, and I used the Army Surplus HMMV trailer this time. It pulls great and is very open and handy. It did have a burnt brake smell when I pulled it in the driveway after the trip home. I drove it mostly at 55mph, but much slower over the curvy sections of road. I hit upwards of maybe 65 in some places, but no faster. So I know at light weight, it pulls well up to 65MPH

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2015, 12:05:45 AM »
That is some nice land Don, I envy you.

I had mine up to around 70 when I got mine. It is light but has drag with being a foot wider than the truck with the square edges. The legs in the back are nice it is a fort for the kids playing nerf.

Your little wood pile reminds me of where I used to camp with my father. Went back year after year and the unused wood was still there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:07:08 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal