Hello Guest

Author Topic: AR15 Shopping  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
AR15 Shopping
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:19:24 AM »
I've decided it is time to get me one of those "black guns".  Mainly I think I should get one of these because I don't have one and think I should.  Previously I have tossed around the idea of a AR-10 on 6.5CM.  Then I thought maybe a 6.5 Grendal would be good, and I've thought about a 300 blackout.  And then I was throwing around the idea of something chambered in 9mm.  But right now I think I should just get dip my toes in with something in 223 wylde.  I'm thinking 223 wylde so that I could shoot both 5.56 and .223 with no issues should there ever be issues with availability.

I'm not lucking for an uber accurate gun here.  I've got my precision bolt gun if I need to reach out there.  I want this to be a rather budget friendly gun that will just plain shoot.  I have no problem building the gun from pieces, or purchasing a completed gun should it make more financial sense.

The problem is that I don't really know anything about these and what makes them good or not.  Show or tell me about a bolt gun and I would no something about it.  Not the case with these gas guns.  So I am looking for your guys help here in pointing me in the right direction.  I've done some searching around the internets and come up with a lot of ideas with a large range in price.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: AR15 Shopping
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
So I was perusing the local Armslist postings to see if anything caught my eye.

Tell me what you all think of these:

This one would basically be ready to shoot, I think.  I don't know what a "bad lever" is.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9287028/appleton-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--18-inch-ar-15

Or just pick myself up a stripped lower to complete this one I think:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/8323932/green-bay-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--new-ar15-complete-kit--5-56-223--16--1-7--twist-rate--15--keymod-handguard--minimalist-stock

Then I got side tracked with 6.5 grendal stuff.  If/when I get one of these I would want it to be a fairly accurate gun so I could shoot it on the 600 yard range.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9311001/green-bay-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--new-16--ar-15-6-5-grendel-complete-kit-minus-stripped-lower-receiver-

And then side tracked with 9mm stuff.  Hmm. starting to think maybe I should get one of these instead of the 223 wylde.  In an ammo shortage I would think 9mm may be one of the easiest to find.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9617478/milwaukee-wisconsin-handguns-for-sale-trade--9mm-ar15-pistol

And then I found this complete upper in 223 Wylde.  This one would need a complete lower assembly.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9520367/madison-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--6-5-creedmoor-ar10--6-5-grendels-ar15--ar15-barrels

And that is when I decided I needed help.

And then this rolls across my news feed.

https://davidsondefense.com/Davidson-Defense-Barbarian-AR-15-Upper-Receiver-20-Ultra-Match-65-Grendel-4150-CMV-H-BAR-1-8T-Barrel-17-M-Lok-Handguard-Assembled-or-Unassembled_p_3964.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:36:10 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »
Look at a place like palmetto state armory for a different take.  The last one looks like a good price until you read down and see that there is no bolt or bolt carrier group (BCG) or charging handle.

Midway USA has some great assembly video's.  They work for what ever caliber of the ar15 platform.  These things are like legos.  Something that looks like a good deal can be but you also need to know what to look for.  Getting a complete one is faster but it is nice to build one as well.  With some video instruction from a reliable place like Midway USA you can build one from a pile of parts in a couple hours with only a couple special tools.  Ask away.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
Only thing I would mention is that I was under the impression that if you had a .556, you could shoot .223 just fine (I do). Matter of fact, my first one is a .223 and it shoots .556 just fine. Not sure how long it will last....probably only ran 1000 rnds through that one.
Not a fan of 9mm in a rifle. I like being able to take factory ammo and spray 500 yards when needed.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
Only thing I would mention is that I was under the impression that if you had a .556, you could shoot .223 just fine (I do). Matter of fact, my first one is a .223 and it shoots .556 just fine. Not sure how long it will last....probably only ran 1000 rnds through that one.
Not a fan of 9mm in a rifle. I like being able to take factory ammo and spray 500 yards when needed.

From what I understand you can shoot .223 in a barrel chambered for 5.56 but are giving up some accuracy.  5.56 I think has the possibility of overpressure in .223.  .223 Wylde blends them together so you get the accuracy of the .223 but can handle the pressures of 5.56.  Again, not an expert by any means, that is just how I understood it.

At my club we have a weekly Action Rifle league during the summer.  Think like 3 gun, but without the pistol or shotgun.  Longest shot would be 50 yards.  I'm thinking about getting into it, which is what originally made the 9mm appealing.  I could send a lot of ammo through it every week for cheap.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:42:01 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
Look at a place like palmetto state armory for a different take.  The last one looks like a good price until you read down and see that there is no bolt or bolt carrier group (BCG) or charging handle.

Midway USA has some great assembly video's.  They work for what ever caliber of the ar15 platform.  These things are like legos.  Something that looks like a good deal can be but you also need to know what to look for.  Getting a complete one is faster but it is nice to build one as well.  With some video instruction from a reliable place like Midway USA you can build one from a pile of parts in a couple hours with only a couple special tools.  Ask away.

I've looked at varying combinations from PSA before also.  I'm not concerned about building one up if I determine that is the best route to go.  I missed the lack of BCG and charging handle on that one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:39:28 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on the components in this?  Looks like I would just need a stripped lower to go with this?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-w-mbus-sight-set3.html

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Adding my 2 cents, definitely go with a .223/5.56 for your first gun. There will likely always be ammo for that gun. Spend money on a good lower. Get the pistol brace and learn to shoot with that "Stock"

Later on buy a short barrel .300 AAC and even a 7.62 X 51 upper. Same lower can run a .300 with a 7" barrel or a 7.62 with a 16" or 18" barrel, or whatever else you want.

Add more lowers later on to complete the uppers and have whole guns.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
Integrity Arms - veteran owned and make a great - above average entry level gun with availability of improvements on up.  Don can vouch for the accuracy as he witnessed me wacking a full beverage can at 300m with 1 shot taken at range to connect.  I opted for some nicer options on my build, but all their basics are better than "basic" -

https://www.customar15.net/product/integrity-arms-basic-m4-carbine/
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 02:55:29 PM »
I own/built about 5 or 6 AR15 now.....no doubt they can be fun to assemble and shoot. I seem to always spend about $1000  building one..give or take a few bucks either way...but I am a bit of a gun snob. I like/require accurate weapons and to that goal I always spend $$ on high end barrels. Think I have a .458socom (huge fun) a few four .223/5.56 and a 7.62 Built them all myself as I do with most rifles and all the above said ya don't have to spend much to get a decent one....prolly could build one for $700ish if you wanted.  Ya want one built let me know, I know of a fun/gun shop that may have a few for sale at cost.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
AR15 Shopping
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
Bad lever is a “battery assist device”. I have a few. Like them but you have to train with them. It’s a lever that crosses under the trigger area and provides a right hand finger lever to release the bolt. Makes mag changes a bit faster. Booger finger drops the mag. Left hand inserts mag, booger finger trips BAD lever and your back to shooting.

Saves maybe a 1/2 second. Maybe.

Go 556. Ars aren’t accurate so 223 in 556 is not going to be noticeable unless you’re trying to build a tack driver.  It’s a tool. Try to resist putting a bunch of crap on it. Bang it throw it in the mud run it hard.

They are just about as cheap to buy as build so just pick one and buy it. Then pull it apart and stake the gas key bolts and the buffer tube to make sure they stay together.

Lube is your friend (right Shawn?). They don’t like to be run dry.

Buy lots of mags while you can. I like magpul 30 round window mags. Get some 60 round surefire mags too. Those will go for $300 each in the next “scare” of gun control. 

Get a basic sling and use it. Learn iron sights and get some Troy flip up BUIS and then you can flip them down when you put on a red dot optic.  I think Don likes Eotech but I like Aimpoint. A used comp 2 or comp 3 should be cheap. Or splurge for the comp M4

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:03:56 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
if you want a shooter, first AR I would just go with a M&P15 or the Ruger AR  they are both in the $500 range now with sights, basic dependable well made cant go wrong.  I own an M&P and it has never given a problem, its my travel partner.

TRN must of gotten confused while he was at the day spa, AR's can be very accurate and most out of the box are not too bad.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:32:08 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
What type of accuracy can be expected out of a relatively speaking budget build?  1MOA at 100, 2MOA at 100?

These are the type of 5 shot groups I have grown accustomed to with my bolt gun. 

Any group over 1/2" at 100 is just flat out unacceptable.  I'm guessing TRN is gaging accuracy using a similar stick.  I'm thinking this gun will just be a plinker at shortish ranges. Mostly inside 100 yards so no need to be super accurate.  In the future I am wanting to build a 6.5 Grendal that I would be able to shoot at the 600 yard range if I wanted and could stretch out to 1000 should the occasion present itself.  I would plan to pony up for a better bolt carrier group, barrel and trigger in that gun, but don't really know if they are needed for this one.

I was thinking .223 wylde so I could maybe try and tweak a .223 load to try and get the best accuracy for hunting, but could still run surplus 5.56 for fun/ plinking.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Almost all brand name ARs with good/decent ammo will do that all day.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »
Almost all brand name ARs with good/decent ammo will do that all day.

Do what?  1 or 2 MOA, or a .1" group at 100 yards?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 04:16:01 PM »
out of a 16" usally better than 1moa with ok ammo, better ammo better group just my personal experience from the store bought guns with a milspec lower.   

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
That is correct Charles for both Ar's and pulling wire...…

Ar's work better if they are a little loose and broke in, my 2 cents. My original ar's were store bought colt's, still my go to if things ever get exciting and both are in 5.56

Bad lever is a “battery assist device”. I have a few. Like them but you have to train with them. It’s a lever that crosses under the trigger area and provides a right hand finger lever to release the bolt. Makes mag changes a bit faster. Booger finger drops the mag. Left hand inserts mag, booger finger trips BAD lever and your back to shooting.

Saves maybe a 1/2 second. Maybe.

Go 556. Ars aren’t accurate so 223 in 556 is not going to be noticeable unless you’re trying to build a tack driver.  It’s a tool. Try to resist putting a bunch of crap on it. Bang it throw it in the mud run it hard.

They are just about as cheap to buy as build so just pick one and buy it. Then pull it apart and stake the gas key bolts and the buffer tube to make sure they stay together.

Lube is your friend (right Shawn?). They don’t like to be run dry.

Buy lots of mags while you can. I like magpul 30 round window mags. Get some 60 round surefire mags too. Those will go for $300 each in the next “scare” of gun control. 

Get a basic sling and use it. Learn iron sights and get some Troy flip up BUIS and then you can flip them down when you put on a red dot optic.  I think Don likes Eotech but I like Aimpoint. A used comp 2 or comp 3 should be cheap. Or splurge for the comp M4

My two cents.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:38 PM »
if you want a shooter, first AR I would just go with a M&P15 or the Ruger AR  they are both in the $500 range now with sights, basic dependable well made cant go wrong.  I own an M&P and it has never given a problem, its my travel partner.

TRN must of gotten confused while he was at the day spa, AR's can be very accurate and most out of the box are not too bad.
Maybe. But it ended well.

It depends on your definition of accurate.

Pick the AR of your choice and we can debate that against my GAP bolt guns.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
I have 3 that will one hole at 200 yards...........on cheap ammo. They are also MUCH better than a "cheaper" one I built using a off the shelf mil spec barrel fwiw. I just use mobile one oil in mine...always has worked just fine.

Before you build a 6.5 check out the .270 win it's rather capable, and can be had for almost nothing in a bolt rifle. I have 4 or so custom Mauser in that caliber and people are always amazed at how well they shoot. I also recently built a .257 roberts Mauser....great for coyote. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 06:39:10 PM »
I honestly don't have that much fun with my accurate gun. Yeah only one. Always afraid of bumping it, getting dirt in it, etc. My store bought ARs are a blast, full of dirt and powder, and less than a 4" group at their farthest reach. That's good enough for anything that walks. Pretty good fun for less than 5 bills.
Guess it also depends on if you want the fun of building it yourself, which is worth something by itself.

How about this. Charge Don double price for the bumpers and build/buy one of each!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 07:32:38 PM »
I put more rounds through my precision bolt gun then anything else.  I expect to shoot that barrel out this year.  I started doing some PRS style stuff last year and trying to get a league and some weekend matches planned for this year.

I'm thinking about a 6.5 grendal in the future as it uses the .223 bolt face and it is cheaper to build an accurate gas AR15 then AR10.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 08:07:33 PM »
Yeah AR10s..sore subject. Thanks to Shawn, mine works pretty good now.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:54 PM »
Bear I sent you a PM a week or so ago. Whenever you respond when you have the chance, drop a contact number in there. I will help you out with as much as I can since I'm maybe an hour away.

Edit : A little more than an hour away but no biggie.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:15:11 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 12:00:58 AM »
For a rifle that will get beat to snot I think Bravo Company USA is hard to beat. If I were buying a complete rifle right now though, I would take a hard look at the Ruger MPR. A friend from work bought one recently and I believe total cost, after the FFL transfer, was under $700. Hard to build that rifle for that price.

ARs that shoot under a minute aren’t real common. There’s some around out there but they are rare. I’d agree on previous comments about sticking with the 5.56 for the first rifle. You can always add a Grendel or SPC upper later and just put it on your lower if you want to shoot something a little more exotic.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
I think somewhere on here we have a thread of companies for gun parts.  My search turned up nothing. Help with a link.   It was a long page or two if I remember correctly

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
I've decided it is time to get me one of those "black guns".  Mainly I think I should get one of these because I don't have one and think I should.  Previously I have tossed around the idea of a AR-10 on 6.5CM.  Then I thought maybe a 6.5 Grendal would be good, and I've thought about a 300 blackout.  And then I was throwing around the idea of something chambered in 9mm.  But right now I think I should just dip my toes in with something in 223 wylde.  I'm thinking 223 wylde so that I could shoot both 5.56 and .223 with no issues should there ever be issues with availability.

I'm not looking for an uber accurate gun here.  I've got my precision bolt gun if I need to reach out there.  I want this to be a rather budget friendly gun that will just plain shoot.  I have no problem building the gun from pieces, or purchasing a completed gun should it make more financial sense.

The problem is that I don't really know anything about these and what makes them good or not.  Show or tell me about a bolt gun and I would no something about it.  Not the case with these gas guns.  So I am looking for your guys help here in pointing me in the right direction.  I've done some searching around the internets and come up with a lot of ideas with a large range in price.

you guys are out of control......its not like were spending DONS money here. :facepalm:

bear, lets keep it simple based off the parameters you stated above.

1. if you are wanting to just dip your toes in and get a taste of what and AR is and can do "KEEP IT SIMPLE"

2. for what you are wanting and wanting to do with it, the level of accuracy is going to be based on you following the fundamentals of marksmanship and the amount of time you put into training/using this tool. 

3. if you are wanting budget friendly, dip your toes in the water, entry level, lets improve upon from here platform.....go with something like this from cabelas (this is an add from the sun center, wi. cabelas): 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Smith-Wesson-M-P-Sport-II-Semiautomatic-Tactical-Rifles/2231083.uts?slotId=1 

4. .223 wylde is not a very requested platform yet, keep it simple and go with 5.56.  that way you have an option to train with .223 and save you some $$$$$ instead of paying the heftier price for the 5.56....stay away from steel cased ammo, these platforms prefer brass casing.

after you have put some rounds thru a base platform, keep notes of what you like and dislike and either upgrade or build from there.
1 request please?

please do not be the douche bag that comes to the range with some sort of tacticool/piece of garbage/dosent know how to properly use all of the attachements that he thinks he has to have on his paper weight..... :facepalm:

learn to shoot the base platform first and then add/upgrade from there.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »
And that’s pretty much what I said... :knucklehead.

Except I still would not buy the fixed front sight model.  When he wants to go red dot, he’ll want a flip up front sight. IMO, YMMV

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
And that’s pretty much what I said... :knucklehead.

Except I still would not buy the fixed front sight model.  When he wants to go red dot, he’ll want a flip up front sight. IMO, YMMV

Nothing wrong with the fixed front. You can still run the red dot with a fixed front, if you don't like absolute cowitness then run a lower 1/3. He wanted something simple, fixed is as simple as it gets.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
Also true.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
Also true.

I have my moments.  :likebutton:

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »

Thanks to your misfortune, my AR10 worked from day one!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Ordered a rifle kit from Palmetto yesterday.  $400 for everything but the stripped lower.  I can pick up an Anderson stripped lower locally for $50 so I figure I will do that.  The upper comes with Magpul flip up sights.  After assembly and a little break in I will drop one of my good optics on it just to better understand the gun's capability then pull that off and just run the flip up sights until I figure out what I want for an optic.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »

Thanks to your misfortune, my AR10 worked from day one!

If you ever want to go for a little drive and stretch that things legs out a little I would be happy to meet you at the range some day.  One range is paper targets from 25-200 yards and the other is set-up with steel for 350 - 600.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
Where in the Cheddar Curtain are you located?  Possibly a summer excursion-  :beercheers:

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Beaver Dam area.  The club I'm a member at is in Columbus.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
Bear, may i recommend you use the flip up sights first and then get into an optic.

An AR15 is silly simple to zero....as long as you have quality sights
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »
Only thing I don't like about the palmetto uppers is almost all are 1/7 twist. That's better for heavier rounds, 55gr may tumble some, but that is not set in stone.

My latest is 1/8, but most are 1/9 that favor the 55gr more.

Good luck on your build, pretty easy compared to what we do around here all the time.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »
Bear, may i recommend you use the flip up sights first and then get into an optic.

An AR15 is silly simple to zero....as long as you have quality sights

Nate, that is kind of what I plan to do.  Once I get it put together I will do some shooting with the flip up sights to get a feel for it and run it through its paces.  After that I want to put my good scope on to better understand what the gun's capable of.  Now I have never seen and don't know how precise I will be able to shoot with the flip up sights on this, but I know the open sights on a couple of my rifles cover a 3" dot pretty easily.  Pretty hard to determine how tight of a group a gun is capable of it you can't see what you are aiming at.   So I put the scope on just to see if it is a 2 MOA or 1/2  MOA or probably somewhere in between.  Then I will pull the scope back off and shoot the flip up sights for a while.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:59:19 PM »
Only thing I don't like about the palmetto uppers is almost all are 1/7 twist. That's better for heavier rounds, 55gr may tumble some, but that is not set in stone.

My latest is 1/8, but most are 1/9 that favor the 55gr more.

Good luck on your build, pretty easy compared to what we do around here all the time.

This is a 1/7 twist.  I don't mind the faster barrel.  If this gun is accurate enough it gives me an option to load up a heavier pill around 90gr should I want to and try to reach out further with it before the wind blows it completely off the map.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
Nate you aren’t going to go into the finer points of the battle rifle zero??  #dissappointed

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
Nate you aren’t going to go into the finer points of the battle rifle zero??  #dissappointed

crawl/walk/run Charles.....we are still in the laying on the back drooling all over yourself stage :grin:

once bear gets this tool built, I will be more than glad to offer instruction if asked.  :cool:

when it comes to that point, I will refresh this thread as in what not to do:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=2313.0

but in all honesty, here are 2 manuals (that are located in the realman knowledge area) that should be able to offer you some sort of technical information as to what it is that you are constructing:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=52.0

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=53.0

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:12:01 PM by Nate »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
You sayin' you have some experience with that platform Nate? Next thing you know you'll be sayin crazy stuff like Bobby can take them apart blindfolded, next to Dave #2, Matt, and a few other guys on here.  :popcorn:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
You sayin' you have some experience with that platform Nate? Next thing you know you'll be sayin crazy stuff like Bobby can take them apart blindfolded, next to Dave #2, Matt, and a few other guys on here.  :popcorn:

Hmmm, I do have a screen shot of a text from Nate and he claimed some chic kicked his butt. I’m getting concerned as I think we’re starting to see a trend from him! Early on set dimentia potentially?  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:10 PM »
Got me to thinking about the Marine Capt. in Ice Station Zebra when they were blindfolded field striping ARs and asked why, "what you going to do, light a match"

They are a simple thing once built.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 03:00:20 AM »

Battle sight zero, so you can pick up your buddy's weapon and be relatively sure of dropping bodies with it. Also helps to get you on paper for the zeroing process.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »

Hmmm, I do have a screen shot of a text from Nate and he claimed some chic kicked his butt. I’m getting concerned as I think we’re starting to see a trend from him! Early on set dimentia potentially?  :popcorn:

:facepalm:  the physical terrorist does not count!!!!!  :knucklehead:

OldKooT

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »
watching......a lil amused btw.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »
Once I get it put together I will do some shooting with the flip up sights to get a feel for it and run it through its paces.  After that I want to put my good scope on to better understand what the gun's capable of. 

Brian, you got my number feel free to give me a call when you want to go shoot. I can come on down that way or you can come up this way. As for a scope hold on...

https://www.customar15.net/product/sig-sauer-tango-4-first-focal-plane-scope/

Next thing you know you'll be sayin crazy stuff like Bobby can take them apart blindfolded

He wouldn't be wrong.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2019, 08:17:34 AM »

Brian, you got my number feel free to give me a call when you want to go shoot. I can come on down that way or you can come up this way. As for a scope hold on...

https://www.customar15.net/product/sig-sauer-tango-4-first-focal-plane-scope/

I was thinking I would give you a call when I get it put together, and it hopefully warms up a bit.  That Sig Saur wasn't on my radar before.  Looks nice and a decent price for FFP.  I was looking at the Vortex Strike Eagle as an option but that is SFP.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
I was thinking I would give you a call when I get it put together, and it hopefully warms up a bit.  That Sig Saur wasn't on my radar before.  Looks nice and a decent price for FFP.  I was looking at the Vortex Strike Eagle as an option but that is SFP.

No worries. I'm usually easy to get a hold of. Some weekends I have to work, but can always swap off Saturdays with a co-worker. Either the Vortex or Sig would be a good option.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal