Hello Guest

Author Topic: Lease site for camping  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Lease site for camping
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
We looked at a lease site so we don't have to fight to get in the state parks. These sites were dirt. Actually clay. Did not drain very well. After the flood came through now they are all sand. 6 to 8 inches of sand to be exact. Took care of the mud problem but now we have all sand. Not a big deal except we have two boys ages 5 and 8. Everyone with kids knows exactly where this is headed.

This is the first year the place is open. Sites are just roughed in at this point. Actually there are no hookups yet. I am equipped to boondock so no problem.  I just need ideas of something to put down outside the camper as a "clean area"  A place to knock the sand off and clean up before going in the camper.  Future plans are to have a patio but I don't want to build anything until all the utility's are in. I have looked at the rv rugs that let the sand go through are so expensive but that might have to be the way we go. Do they actually work? I don't know anyone that has one. I will be setting up an outdoor shower. That is a must have.

There is a huge negative not having grass but..With the flooding in Nebraska most parks in my area are going to be limited access or closed all together. Also we are getting in on the ground floor so to speak. If I pass it up this year I'm afraid it will fill up and I will never get in later. Its only 12 miles from home. The price is VERY reasonable $1,200 a year with power included once they get it ran. The main box is in they just have to run it to each site. We love to cat fish and get in the canoes.  We are just going to have to deal with the sand.  Each site is roughly 50x100. Everyone has river access. The pictures are taken from the spot I was thinking about getting. The spots run north and south. Pictures are taken facing west then east. My Dad is getting a spot right next to me so we will essentially have 100x100 to work with.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:12:25 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Lease site for camping
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
How are they doing roads? Truck n trailers don’t go in sand real well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
I'd take sand over dirt and mud any day.
I use one of those rugs. I wouldn't say that all the sand goes through it, maybe some, but it is very durable and keeps most of the loose stuff out of the trailer.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Lease site for camping
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
If indeed you can build a patio type, what if you build some basic “portable deck” and made them small enough you could stack when not using.   4 ft x 4ft with something like trex on top and you can set them out for a 8ft Landing square than stack next to a tree when not in use?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:15:53 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
I have the rug from my rv when we had it.  It’s yours if you want it. Not sure how much it weighs but if you aren’t in a huge hurry I’ll get it out and see what it will fit into for shipping and calculate a cost just to make sure it’s not more expensive to ship than to buy local

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
We went down there today and met some of the neighbors. Nobody camping yet. Just hanging out making plans and having few cold ones.
Sectioning out a deck is a good idea
 Could probably use pallets for that. We have a bunch of them.
 We talked about picking up some pavers. They are cheap sometimes.
Tex if you don't mind doing that I'd take you up on the offer. Just let me know how much. If it's worth the expense. Depending on size they run from $40 for a small one to 70 bucks for a really big one
The boys had a blast down there playing with other kids. I think we all made some new friends today

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »
How are they doing roads? Truck n trailers don’t go in sand real well

The owner has a concrete crusher. He is going to rock the road and provide all the rock for the camper pads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »
Promo code EASY on ups site to save 40% on retail shipping costs right now fyi
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »
Jon
If you can score some plastic pallets you could screw some 5/4 deck boards to it. Maybe 8x8 or 8x12 andstack them up when done. You could also cover with outdoor  fake grass / carpet.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »
Jon. Looks like a great spot. We went cheap and got some indoor outdoor carpet. Then rolled it up when done. It frayed on the edges but we would just burn it back if it got too bad. TRN sounds like he has the fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
I use a woven mat made of plastic - works well to keep out excess dirt - sand will be more difficult - a 4x4 piece of outdoor carpet could be placed right at the steps to keep it a bit cleaner as well.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
Jon PM me an address for that outdoor rug. I finally got it out and brought it home.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
I like it, just figure out the deck part.

Like to see you hook a big one in a canoe.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal