Hello Guest

Author Topic: Any plumbers on here?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Any plumbers on here?
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
I've got an issue here. no pick of the splined attachment, but suffice it to say there is a screw that goes through the center of the externally splined piece and holds it to the broken end you see in the pics. then faucet handle slides over the splines and a small allen head set screw holds it in place. a shampoo bottle fell from on high and took out the hot water faucet, and after 4 separate epoxy missions the mounting base the splined coupler attaches to is finally inop. it looks as though I could remove that outer white piece and replace just the valve itself, replace the tap handles (both cold and warm just to make sure they match) without getting into the wall and doing tile work. (don't want to do tile work). Any thoughts, tips, words of encouragement, time to call the professionals?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Any plumbers on here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
Shut water to valve off (may have to shut whole house off?). Pull plastic valve out, go to plumbing supply house & buy new. They may have to order it in.

Normally there are rights and lefts (cold or hot) valves. Sometimes they are the same for both sides just depends on model & how handle works. My past experience is they always have the side in stock I don't need but in a pinch they normally interchange. Just the handle turns wrong way, in a jam it gets you up & running if you can isolate the line going to the bathroom to leave rest of house water on.

Not a plumber, but have 4 women in my house. Been there done that......

Tate, if you have further questions you know how to reach me brother!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:02:09 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Yeah what he said. Should be able to just replace the 'stem'. Might even be able to find it at Home Depot or the like.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
Other thought, if HD or Lowes doesn't stock it only buy the broken side from the plumbing supply house to get you going if it's an emergency. Then buy the other side from an online supply house, usually much cheaper. If it's not an emergency you may be able to get a part number off of the plastic valve & order it all online.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
right now I can still turn the center plastic piece covered in epoxy with needle nose pliers. it used to protrude about 1/2 further than it does now and is what broke off originally. the lighter, white surround piece looks removable and appears to retain the "stem". I'm looking for a plumbing supply store near me because HD and Lowes staff look at me like I'm from space

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
That whole white part (including the inner white spinny-part for on/off) should just pull out given enough brute force and clamping force on those pliers.

Unless, maybe that outer brass piece (the one with the little notches in it that the white thing is in) unscrews from the rear, larger diameter brass piece??
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:48:40 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
But definitely have water turned off prior to plastic extraction?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »

Well, it does look like you're in the tub, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.... ;)

Yes, definitely turn off water first.

Any idea what brand of faucet that is? I know Moen sometimes needs a special tool that they'll send you for free if you call them up (at least that's what I saw in a Youtube video). My Moen faucets the stem just pulled right out with no fuss.
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
That whole white part (including the inner white spinny-part for on/off) should just pull out given enough brute force and clamping force on those pliers.

Unless, maybe that outer brass piece (the one with the little notches in it that the white thing is in) unscrews from the rear, larger diameter brass piece??

I'm thinking the notched piece would use a flat head or other straight edge and separate from the inner piece like you stated. but the plastic would still have to come out to access it.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
they're 90's vintage from a previous remodel. I'll see about checking the spout and other components for brand name scribed somewhere, see if that helps any. thanks for the ideas Ryan and Shawn

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
One thing -- i said 'stem' earlier, but you might have more luck googling 'cartridge'.

Almost looks like this part here -- notice it just has an o-ring to hold it in. That escutcheon you removed is what really holds it in.  Hope it doesn't come flying out if the house is still pressurized!!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Brass-and-Plastic-Faucet-Tub-Shower-Stem/3712654
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:06:46 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »

Yes, or you're gunna be running to turn it off after. Don't ask me how I know...

I think your super glue is holding cartridge in. Normally at this point the water pressure should push it out of the way for you. Typically one set of threads on that outer brass piece (assuming smaller diameter set of threads) holds the cartridge in place FYI.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:42:53 PM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Update:

Our contractor we've been consulting with for our future remodel just happened to have the cartridge Ryan posted the link to in his truck! We had it knocked out in about 15 min, and yes, the o ring was the only thing holding that little guy in place for almost 3 days! I have yet to find the master water shutoff for the house but the previous residents had one of the long handled city water shutoff tools just laying in the backyard when we bought the house and the water line from the street was easy access. I would imagine the main shutoff that doesn't involve that tool would be somewhere around the outside edge of the foundation or in one of the vent access spots? built in the 50's.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Update:

Our contractor we've been consulting with for our future remodel just happened to have the cartridge Ryan posted the link to in his truck! We had it knocked out in about 15 min, and yes, the o ring was the only thing holding that little guy in place for almost 3 days! I have yet to find the master water shutoff for the house but the previous residents had one of the long handled city water shutoff tools just laying in the backyard when we bought the house and the water line from the street was easy access. I would imagine the main shutoff that doesn't involve that tool would be somewhere around the outside edge of the foundation or in one of the vent access spots? built in the 50's.

Good deal! Something to think about with a remodel and not sure how deep you're going but when I built our first house in 2002 I installed a master valve system in the basement. Basically it was a board (all pex btw) and it has a series of valves. So every line had it's own shut off in case you needed to isolate a particular faucet. Dumb thing about my two year old current house is that it has the board of connections but no valves...... :facepalm:

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
Good deal Tate!  built in the 50's... may not even have a master shutoff except for at the meter like you said.

Shawn - believe they do the manifolds like that now so the pressure stays balanced to each of the taps - instead of a large pipe that branches off into smaller and smaller lines as it gets further away from the source.  If its pex it wouldn't be hard to cut and throw in some sharkbite valves - unless you're not a fan of sharkbite. I love it (except the price), never had a problem with leaks, but I've heard others aren't as lucky.
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Update:

Good deal! Something to think about with a remodel and not sure how deep you're going but when I built our first house in 2002 I installed a master valve system in the basement. Basically it was a board (all pex btw) and it has a series of valves. So every line had it's own shut off in case you needed to isolate a particular faucet. Dumb thing about my two year old current house is that it has the board of connections but no valves...... :facepalm:

We're just converting a glorified carport/boathouse into a much larger master bedroom and guest room, but we will be under the foundation running natural gas to the kitchen/laundry and i'll either verify or install a master shutoff at that point. I REALLY like the idea of an access panel with individualized shutoffs like a breaker box though, great idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal