Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2016 garden  (Read 8269 times)

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
2016 garden
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
Had to cover the asparagus bed with last year's pecan leave

Started to till for onions but the ground is too hard. We are going to wait for the rain tomorrow. Current state.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 garden
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
Whoa, that's early...This is still Feb, right?

Where is that little piece of heaven?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
Navarro Mills, Texas. It has been a very warm winter here. I think the lowest temp we had was 29 degrees.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
The peach tree already has buds so I had to trim it. I don't think I took enough off but the wife said it's good.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:50:20 AM by sideways »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »
Been pretty mild here as well. Rode the bike again today. That's like 5-6 days so far in Feb! Normally middle Jan-Middle Feb it hardly sees above freezing here, but today, the 21st, I was out walking around and noticed the day lilies are pushing up through the ground already!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »
Navarro Mills, Texas. It has been a very warm winter here. I think the lowest temp we had was 29 degrees.

That's not far from here.  Houston during the week and Crockett on the weekends
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:35:45 AM »
We have nothing but mud and snow piles. I got my little peat pots and seeds. I need to get them started pretty soon.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
Already received a nice sunburn this year, and our garden never froze. I'm trying to convince my wife that it still needs to be tilled under (so i don't have to deal with planting twice in one year.) lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »
We are tired of pulling weeds so we are going to do raised beds this year for everything but onion, corn, and beans. 12'x16' U shaped.
I just need to go get the lumber and fill clean fill dirt sometime this week.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »

That's not far from here.  Houston during the week and Crockett on the weekends

I shot a few pigs on a ranch just outside of Crockett a few years ago.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
Weeds don't grow in raised beds???  Someone needs to tell my plants that....

I just started heirloom tomatoes, squash, cucumber, cilantro and zuchini in my peat pots.  waiting to sow the onions directly into the ground and getting my hot pepper and bell pepper started later this week.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Weeds don't grow in raised beds???  Someone needs to tell my plants that....

I just started heirloom tomatoes, squash, cucumber, cilantro and zuchini in my peat pots.  waiting to sow the onions directly into the ground and getting my hot pepper and bell pepper started later this week.

yes they do but they are easier to prevent and pull.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »
I put straw and grass clippings around all the plants. Keeps the weeds down and holds in moisture.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
Yep. Same here. Hay for just that reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 10:37:34 PM »
Yep. Same here. Hay for just that reason

Straw would work better, no seeds

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »
What's the difference? Sorry for the ignorance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
here yah go RN

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/dont-confuse-straw-with-hay-or-hay-with-straw-what-about-straw-bale-gardening/you_bet_your_garden

Growing up on a farm I am always surprised when I run into people who do not know the difference between hay and straw.  Around here people also bail or chop a lot of Canary grass to use as bedding.  Usually it is grass that grows in low/wet areas machinery can't get into to plant but in the middle of summer you can get into.  Generally they don't feed this to the animal but because it is being bailed or chopped whole there would be seeds in it also.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
I think sometimes people buy straw, and call it hay, too...
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
What's the difference? Sorry for the ignorance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm allergic to hay not straw..... ;)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
So, you get hayfever?

Hay is a generic term for bailed feed. There's alfalfa hay, bermuda hay, etc.
Now, come to think of it, I've never heard anyone ask for straw hay....just a bale of straw. hmmm my head hurts again.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »
So, you get hayfever?

Now, come to think of it, I've never heard anyone ask for straw hay....just a bale of straw. hmmm my head hurts again.

Just like hay you can have oat straw, barley straw, wheat straw etc.  Hay is harvested with the intent of feeding.  Generally it is more grass like.  It is cut at a certain time while it is still green and has nutrients in it, generally dried in the field and then bailed or somehow collected off the field. 

In my area oats are commonly planted.  When the oat seeds (grain) dries on the plant it is harvested.   The stalk of the plant is left in the field.  If that by-product is bailed it would be called a bail of straw.  Straw generally comes from your grain plants.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
So, you get hayfever?

Kinda, have seasonal allergies normally twice a year. I take a nasal spray and I'm good. Unless I'm around the dozen or so other things that I'm allergic to such as cats and horses (now you know why I shoot cats). Alfalfa hay will straight put me down, causes me to have severe asthmatic symptoms. My wife didn't believe me when we were first married. Her Dad who has screwed up shoulders (injured beyond repair long ago) brought home a wagon of alfalfa hay. Long story short I unloaded it to prove my point.......... She didn't ask me to ever do that again!   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »
I learned something today !  The Lord must not be done with me yet

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »
We always bought straw to use it for bedding for the smaller pigs. We got out of the pig business and have half a barn full of straw.

FYI Wheat straw is more absorbent than oat straw.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
heres a little help for those of you wanting to put in a garden.

https://www.facebook.com/AgricultureTechnologies/videos/1320214691337561/?fref=nf
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
My lovely wife trimming the Rose and blackberry bushes

The ground softened up after the rain so I could till it (wife working again)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »
Is it just me or does it appear she is doing all the work?

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
She is still doing all the work. onion sets in the ground and reneck mulch is on.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
I have never had asparagus come up this early

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
I screwed up this weekend. I got what I thought was potting soil to fill my little peat pots. I thought the bag was extra heavy but didn't think much of it. I get done planting my seeds and then actually read the bag. Its Miracle Grow brand garden soil NOT potting soil. I thought well big deal then I read the back and it says not for containers. Well crap now what? I guess we wait and see. I hope it works otherwise that's 50 plants down the drain.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »
Picked some asparagus today

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »
Well that makes sense....you guys are picking stuff already and I am just in my "planning stage".  ::) We wont plant till Memorial Day. But I am in "planning mode" right now. I always try a few new things each year be it new varieties or something I have never grown.

I am a huge fan of mulching gardens to lessen the amount of weeds I need to pick (no lazy comments needed ha!). Growing up we used hay, but as others have said the seeds do bring more grasses to the garden overall. I should probably use straw. I dump all my grass clippings in the garden. What started for me as pretty lousy soil is right now after 15+ years the most fertile soil I have ever seen. Deep black and rich it will grow stuff like the dickens.

I saw a video a few years back that was a guy that has a huge garden in the PNW somewhere who uses wood chips in his garden. He just keeps adding them to the garden but it does the same thing as hay or straw, holds moisture and adds nutrients as the wood chips break down. I am thinking about going that route.

My garden is not too big- about 50x35. I plant the usual suspects. Have never done corn although I would like to try it. Get tons of beans, tomatoes, peppers, squashes. The squashes are dangerous....the dang leaves get so big they hide them if Im not careful. I've had zucchini's that are 20" long and 6 inches across, and surprisingly still pretty good (although I like them smaller). 

I use a modified Japanese tomato ring for my tomatoes. If you aren't familiar with them they're worth a look- its basically growing tomatoes around a wire cage that over time as the plant grows you fill with mulch.  As the tomato plant grows taller the branches on the "ring side" grow into the cage (sometimes you have to help them) and then as you add additional layers of mulch covering the branches they become additional root systems holding the plant in place and feeding it nutrients (kind of like when I first plant tomatoes I put the whole plant except the top couple of inches in the ground- the existing branches just change into more roots once buried. Anywho it holds the plants upright pretty well as the whole side is "anchored" to the ring and it gives it a much larger root system to get nutrients and water from. so the tomatoes grow like mad. I don't use a true wire ring I just made 6 "columns" out of wood and wrapped them with 2x4 inch welded wire fence. I fill the bottom few inches or so with rocks for stability and plant four plants around each one. Some times the plants get so big I have to stake the columns down. But it works really well. Plus in the summer I don't water the plants I just water the "column".

I also tried some "panels" to grow cukes on. These are tilted at sort of a 45 degree angle. The premise is that the leaves cover the wire, the cukes themselves hang down through the welded wire panel for easy picking. But also they provide shade to grow lettuce underneath so the lettuce doesn't bolt. It sort of worked but I need to adjust the angle or something as it was a total pita to get to the lettuce so that's a work in progress. 

Another thing I always like growing is pea pods. Grow them on one of the outside fences. When the kids were little I would always grow about 30-40' of them. But for years that I grew them I think we actually got one meal out of them? The kids would just line up picking and eating them right off the vine. I never minded that we didn't get any meals from them. Best snacks ever and never any whining about "we want candy" or whatever. They would be playing hard, take a break, munch some pea pods, right back to playing.

You guys with asparagus are making my mouth water. For some reason (and every darn year I kick myself) I never put in an asparagus bed. Growing up we had one and nothing better than cutting some, bringing them right in, give them a rinse and steam them- from bed to plate in like 10 minutes. I have always been meaning to but I just haven't. I LOVE asparagus! 

I'll shut up now. ha!   

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
Forgot to update. I got the rest of the garden all tilled up last weekend.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Building the bed

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
I had to rent a dump trailer to haul soil.
I had to make two trips at 4 yards each trip. ( forgot to take pictures)

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
Planted 9 tomato plants, 12 various peppers, and some merry golds last night

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile