Hello Guest

Author Topic: Big Tex Trailers  (Read 777 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Tex Trailers
« on: January 26, 2022, 08:39:56 AM »
Sharing a letter I just wrote to Big Tex

I just wanted to let you know my experience with the Walton, KY and now the Covington Big Tex store. But first I'll say I have purchased many trailers from you in the past, including an equipment trailer, then another, and then a 16K Dump trailer to name the most recent.

Beginning early last year I went in shopping for a 16K equipment, bumper pull trailer to pull my rubber track machine. They didn't have any and told me they would let me know when the next one came in, and like a fool I believed them. Well, I didn't hear anything, so after some time I went back. I could see they didn't remember me at all (Although I have purchased before several times). So I again asked for a 16K equipment trailer. I think then I was given the COVID excuse, but nothing on the web site indicated the 16K was not being built. I made a bit of noise and witnessed the lady writing down my request. I suggested ordering it then.

Well the weeks and months go by and by the fall, I had nothing. I was going to work that rubber track machine for the local deer hunters, a $1500 a day proposition for land clearing. So I went back and of course, I get a bunch of excuses and now they no longer answer the phone all the time. Well yesterday I called and couldn't get the Walton store after calling several times, so I called the national number which got me in touch with someone in Louisiana, Now that person was willing to drive all over kingdom-come and find one! So I called back again but this time the phone rang in Covington, KY. I explained everything to the girl there. She was apologetic, and I don't need apologies, just a trailer. I told her she had yesterday to find me a trailer or I was ordering a Kaufman trailer. She said she would look, but she never called me back. If any company ever has not earned my business, that company is you in the hand of these non-caring dealerships.

As a retired Army officer I felt I owed you this information but I do not want to buy from you any more, as I am performance oriented and low performers ought to get cut from the team.

In closing, I hope you can fix this problem, but I fear it is systemic and representative of all America. I am not impressed with the work ethic of the current generation manning the sales counters everywhere.

This letter will be shared on social media

Don Harward
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Big Tex Trailers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »
Get em!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »
For what’s it worth and I’ve owned big Tex trailers and have been very happy. This Kaufman trailers to me are a nicer product…..
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 03:26:06 PM »
For what’s it worth and I’ve owned big Tex trailers and have been very happy. This Kaufman trailers to me are a nicer product…..
Copy that

I have owned three or four Big-Tex and all have been good

I have been looking at Kaufman since Big Tex is a dead to me product. Well dead to anyone around here, since that dealership seems to be too busy to conduct any business...

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:45:23 PM »
I will give them one pass and Shawn can attest to this; They are probably flush with a bunch of inventory that no one wants, and are unable to get anything customers are requesting. Shipping, manufacturing, truck drivers, no one working because Biden pays them to stay home, all these things I'm dealing with on the daily, and what you experienced; those that do show up to work, aren't worth a damn, they just don't know how to get the free money and have to work.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »
I will give them one pass and Shawn can attest to this; They are probably flush with a bunch of inventory that no one wants, and are unable to get anything customers are requesting. Shipping, manufacturing, truck drivers, no one working because Biden pays them to stay home, all these things I'm dealing with on the daily, and what you experienced; those that do show up to work, aren't worth a damn, they just don't know how to get the free money and have to work.
Good point, but lack of communication is hard to forgive. They could've just said they don't have any and won't have any for a while. One of my biggest pet peeves in our business, someone says they'll call back and they don't.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
Good point, but lack of communication is hard to forgive. They could've just said they don't have any and won't have any for a while. One of my biggest pet peeves in our business, someone says they'll call back and they don't.

And good communication is probably the only reason I'm still in business and get to deal with the likes of Shawn. like I was saying, only 1 pass. They failed at every other aspect for sure.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »

And good communication is probably the only reason I'm still in business and get to deal with the likes of Shawn. like I was saying, only 1 pass. They failed at every other aspect for sure.

Tate, quit wearing the weight of the company on your shoulders. I’ve run knuckleheads, they’re gunna knucklehead daily just a part of the game. You always do your best to make it right, and you’re right if you didn’t communicate it’d be a different story.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 01:54:09 PM »
Well Tate, if have to deal with that guy you deserve All the free passes!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 02:42:50 PM »
This has been a problem with big Tex for a while I believe. Before we moved from AZ I tried to buy a flatbed for our dodge from them, since they sell the CM beds. Nothing but run around, wildly varying prices online, in person or on the phone. Not a company I would care to try and do business with again.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 03:10:55 PM »
I have a friend who is in the market for a gooseneck and is having great service and communication from Diamond C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 10:06:09 PM »
I have a friend who is in the market for a gooseneck and is having great service and communication from Diamond C

That company has a large following of well known folks on social media.  I think they are earning their keep for sure

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 12:18:16 PM »
So here's the update

I learned quite a lot today.

Got a call from Derick Johnson, a regional manager. He offered to have a 16ET shipped in from Vermont, so kudos to him for doing that, but that's not the story. We talked through the lack of communications over a long period of time. He told me he would look into that, and frankly I could care less, it's his problem and I am done with Big Tex.

Here's the real beef. Big Tex Trailers is not a manufacturing, but a distribution company. Yea, the actual manufacturing company is called by some other but similar name. The manufacturer then sells exclusively to Big Tex trailers which does not build anything, but simply puts up stores and sells to JQ public.

There is one huge problem with that, and that is that the extra layer of structure adds about 75% to the cost of the trailer! How do I know? Well I priced a 17K 20 foot tilt Kaufman tilt trailer yesterday at just over $8,000. I give them a 10% down payment and in 8 weeks go to North Carolina and pick up my new trailer. This generous sales manager offered me the 16K flatbed Big Tex trailer for $13,684!!!!!!

So let's do some math here:

$13,684
    -  $8050
      $5634

So it costs $5634 more than the Kaufman trailer just to buy a Big Tex!!! or around 60% more!!!

I'd say that additional blubberous attachment (The sales company) is adding a lot of fat and profit to the product

I am ordering a Kaufman trailer today, and will document the process
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:19:22 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 01:15:55 PM »
Nice. Should be a great trailer for that price.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 02:09:26 PM »
So are you wanting a flatbed trailer or a dump trailer?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 02:19:50 PM »
So are you wanting a flatbed trailer or a dump trailer?
Flatbed, Nate. I already own a 16K dump trailer
I want something to haul my Kubota SVL-972s
Since I can make $1k a day working it on smaller jobs, I intend to do that
Just cause
I think it would be cool to pay for the new cabin entirely from profit I can produce from the farm...New Cabin: Net cost zero$$$

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 02:20:07 PM »
Nice. Should be a great trailer for that price.
Hope so!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 02:48:08 PM »
Where in NC?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 03:04:04 PM »
Where in NC?
Somewhere north of Charlotte. I mentioned Bragg, but she said they were like three hours from there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »
OK, I just ordered the Kaufman trailer. I'll start a new thread so we can follow along on the progress of acquiring that gentleman.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal