Hello Guest

Author Topic: So I won't get fired  (Read 877 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So I won't get fired
« on: March 31, 2022, 11:11:24 AM »
So I don't DOT "Sending off a young man"

Way back when I worked and flew on the Air Force Airborne Command Post aircraft (the ones that could launch the nukes if we had to). Every day at the appointed time the tech(me) and some officer (O1-3) because of the 2 man policy around those aircraft. We had to go reset all the codes on the aircraft that sat on alert (ready to take off with in minutes). We one day the O2 was in the aircraft while I was  resetting the codes. He was practicing his fast draw and put a hole in the side of the aircraft. This in turn drew the attention of several young men with M16 looking for the person that did the damage. I never saw that O-2 again and we had ro get another aircraft to replace the one with a new hole in it.

I sure hope the Army has a better system on which officer gets sidearms.

Boss is this how it should be done? LOL

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: So I won't get fired
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:42:54 PM »
I wouldn't want that on my resume.
..bet he was one of those plastic pistol guys.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »
There’s no such thing as an accidental discharge.  Always negligent.

Ken, it was probably the little brother to the hammer, the Beretta 92f

If you know what you are doing you don’t need a safety.  My finger is my safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 05:59:51 AM »
There’s no such thing as an accidental discharge.  Always negligent.

Ken, it was probably the little brother to the hammer, the Beretta 92f

If you know what you are doing you don’t need a safety.  My finger is my safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You all must think I'm young or something. The pistol in question was the old smith 38 revolver. Which makes it even harder to make the rhing go bang when you don't want it to

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
When I was a young soldier we had to report to the pay officer to get paid.  One time I was sent as the guard for the LT to get the cash to pay everyone.  I had my M16 and the LT used the commanders pistol.  He was the only one in the unit assigned a pistol.  It was a 1911.  After he paid everyone we returned to the finance office to clear up the receipts and there was a clearing barrel outside finance.  I cleared my weapon and the LT stepped up, racked the slide, dropped the magazine and put a round into the clearing barrel.  The MP standing there pulled out a prefilled out form for the LT to write his name on and sign it.  The MP already had the date on the form.  He said that at least 20 people do that every payday.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:57:04 AM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »

Way back when I worked and flew on the Air Force Airborne Command Post aircraft (the ones that could launch the nukes if we had to). Every day at the appointed time the tech(me) and some officer (O1-3) because of the 2 man policy around those aircraft. We had to go reset all the codes on the aircraft that sat on alert (ready to take off with in minutes). We one day the O2 was in the aircraft while I was  resetting the codes. He was practicing his fast draw and put a hole in the side of the aircraft. This in turn drew the attention of several young men with M16 looking for the person that did the damage. I never saw that O-2 again and we had ro get another aircraft to replace the one with a new hole in it.

My first question is, why was a round chambered? Was that in your SOP?
Second thing, when the weapon is hot, why was he handling it at all?
I understand the two man rule, I was a Nuke Surety officer twice in my career. If I saw another man draw his pistol, and I didn't know him well, I might well have pulled mine and shot him for fear he was going to compromise the weapons. Bottom line, serious people do not play with weapons, kids/boys/fools and the like do. If I were you in that circumstance I would have warned him not to touch that weapon again. If he did I'd call the duty officer or security people immediately.
I carried a pistol most of my career, then for five more years as an operator for other folks. I wouldn't have a round in the chamber until just before pitch pull, going outside of the wire/wall/fence. I never played with the weapon. I pulled it to use it or to practice or top clear it or to load it. No other reasons. It's called discipline.
In my old business I only ever saw two negligent discharges. Once we were getting fired upon and a Ranger fired his M4 through the floor of my aircraft. The other time the deputy commander shot a hole through his sleeping bag and into his kit bag in the hangar during operation Just Cause. The sergeant fixed the Ranger, but we were flying directly into a fire fight where PDF guys were trying to get to American families, so I just let it slide. The latter resulted in a bunch of bad Ju-ju for that Major.
Professionals do not play around with real firearms, they use them properly.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »

I understand the two man rule, I was a Nuke Surety officer twice in my career. If I saw another man draw his pistol, and I didn't know him well, I might well have pulled mine and shot him for fear he was going to compromise the weapons. Bottom line, serious people do not play with weapons, kids/boys/fools and the like do. If I were you in that circumstance I would have warned him not to touch that weapon again. If he did I'd call the duty officer or security people immediately.
I carried a pistol most of my career, then for five more years as an operator for other folks. I wouldn't have a round in the chamber until just before pitch pull, going outside of the wire/wall/fence. I never played with the weapon. I pulled it to use it or to practice or top clear it or to load it. No other reasons. It's called discipline.
In my old business I only ever saw two negligent discharges. Once we were getting fired upon and a Ranger fired his M4 through the floor of my aircraft. The other time the deputy commander shot a hole through his sleeping bag and into his kit bag in the hangar during operation Just Cause. The sergeant fixed the Ranger, but we were flying directly into a fire fight where PDF guys were trying to get to American families, so I just let it slide. The latter resulted in a bunch of bad Ju-ju for that Major.
He said 38 wheel gun to be clear.

Never thought I'd get to hear stories from someone older than the Boss.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »

In my defense I didn't see him playing with it. He should have been in the same compartment as I was but he walked off and I didn't notice because I was loading the crypto codes (back then you had to do it by hand no fancy loaders). He told me what he did and wanted me to take the fall I said no and also said the pistol are number and they know which one's we each had. Sent him down the ladder first so he could talk to the security forces. They had to send 2 other guys out to the jet because I wouldn't come down and leave the crypto unsecured.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 11:19:11 AM »

He said 38 wheel gun to be clear.

Never thought I'd get to hear stories from someone older than the Boss.
Now, now this was in the early 80 Air Force didn't stop issuing the 38 until sometime in the 90

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 02:38:19 PM »
I've seen two negligent discharges with a pistol in my 25 year career. One was an O-6 "clearing" his pistol in the barrel outside the chow hall. Nothing happened to him. The other was an E-5, who had just come off a 30hr straight mission, who was sick and running a fever but went outside the wire anyway. He dropped the mag, but forgot to rack the slide, and sent a round into the same chow hall clearing barrel. He got busted to E-4. These were overseas, 2005-2006.

I've only seen one ND with a long gun. We had some guys from the sustainment battalion assigned to us for deployment in 2009. During our train-up, I had all the Soldiers in my troop carry their M-4s, with blank adapter fitted, and locked/loaded with blanks, every where we went. During the initial brief when I was passing out the BFAs, mags, blank ammo, and explaining consequences for what would happen if their was an ND, I hear "BANG". It was a great punctuation to the briefing. LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal