TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Construction and heavy equipment

New Toy! 60" Disc Mulcher

(1/7) > >>

Flyin6:
I just purchased a 60" Diamond disc mulcher.

It is one beast of a machine capable of taking an entire standing tree and taking it down to mulch in seconds. Literally, you can take a 4" 25 foot tall tree, cut it and shred the entire thing into chips in maybe 2-3 seconds!

Flyin6:
The disc is a 600 pound rotating mass of inertial energy arrayed with these four tooth cutting teeth. It will go through anything so fast, you barely need to slow down.

I have decided to do some land clearing work on the side a couple days a week starting in April. This cutter head will be the mainstay of the operation. My objective is to create $10K-10K a month additional cash flow which I plan to use to further develop the farm. Instead of just making it livable, I am going to make it into a very beautiful place and all that will require money. I always thought I could use the farm to create all the cash flow I would ever need and this is just another way I am going to do that.

So, the machine: Its a Diamond 60" disc mulcher with a piston drive motor sized appropriately for the Kubota SVL-97
In addition to the cutter head, I will have to upgrade the machine to a lexan-poly carbonate door to keep flying debris from literally killing me.

The disc has teeth on the top and the bottom. Inside the enclosure are more teeth, so that when material is pulled into the "chute" it is ripped to shreds instantly. In the bottom of the disc it can have either the same steel teeth or carbide bits. I have spec'd the latter because the carbide is not really affected by rocks, it just smashes through.

Flyin6:
Here is the difference between the two styles of teeth:

Flyin6:
A video is worth a thousand pictures...

https://vimeo.com/147856993?embedded=true&source=vimeo_logo&owner=40998281

Flyin6:
The entry ticket to get into this business is close to $100K

$75K for the machine, and around $25K for the cutter head.

Add to that (in my case) $7,500 for the trailer and of course you'll need a 1 ton truck to pull all that

Added to that, a 100 gal fuel tank would be handy along with a grease gun and all sorts of tools to effect quick field repairs.

Now, having said all that, disc mulching pays out around $2000 a day in gross proceeds. I still have to figure out operating costs but you have fuel, tracks every 1200 hours, oil changes, insurance, then be prepared for hydraulic hoses to grenade and weird stuff to happen... Those teeth last maybe 300 hours and cost around $4000 to replace, so there's that. The head is pretty much indestructible and will last years.

I feel you can easily net $1,500 a day which is above my minimum threshold of $1000 a day. So, work this three days a week for an additional $144,000-$225,000  a year in net income. Do that until you pay off your machine, then trade in your old machine and buy a new one with a 40%-50% trade in allowance. If I make $12,000-$15000 a month, I will withhold 50% of that to pay off the machine or save for my next one.

My longer range goal is to use the money I earn to build my cabin and to purchase a KX-80 Kubota Excavator. I will then put a mulching head on that and go full commercial with a son in law. That machine will easily net $2000 a day and I already have a large company willing to hire my crews. That is down the road, but probably coming...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version