Hello Guest

Author Topic: which mobile workbench/work center  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
which mobile workbench/work center
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »
so I am looking at getting 1 of these 4 mobile workbenches'/work center's.

i have a small snap-on box for my auto tools that sits on a cheap 4 or 5 drawer craftsman roller bottom.  I will have to get a new roller bottom because the cheap craftsman one is caving in on the bottom front frame and one of the drawers went to crap (roller guide broke and drawer pulled completely out).

so the ones that i am looking at would be for all of my home type stuff like drills, saws, plumbing drawer, misc drawer and all that kind of crap, as well as being/having some sort of a workbench type top so i can quit pulling out my plastic tables.

there are 2 milwaukee brand unit and there are 2 husky brand units. 

the first one is a 52" model from milwaukee:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-52-in-11-Drawer-Mobile-Work-Center-48-22-8552/300891919?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-206696096-_-300891919-_-N

my cons:

1. 52" may be a bit small and i cant grow into it and will probably be back to where i am now in a short amount of time with boxes/cases for tools laying in other areas?

2. there is no center caster to help support the weight?

3. not really sure that 11 drawers in small configurations is enought room?

the second one is 60" model from milwaukee:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-60-125-in-11-Drawer-and-1-Door-22-in-D-Mobile-Workbench-with-Sliding-Pegboard-Back-Wall-Red-and-Black-48-22-8560/206696096

my cons:

1. (the peg board is not really a seller for me and its hideable behind the unit) many of the reviews state that the peg board being made out of thin metal does not allow the peg board hooks to sit securly and they move around a bit too much?

2. yes it has 11 drawers just like the one above, but in a different configuration?

the third and fourth ones are a 72" model from husky:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-18-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-Black-HOTC7218B11MYS/302255875

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-18-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Adjustable-Height-Solid-Wood-Top-Matte-Black-HOLC7218BB1MYS/302255876

my areas of concerns on these 2:

1. the first one looks as thought it has cheaper casters on it compared to the second one?

2. not really sure that the increase in price is worth the adjustable top or not?

help me out folks, what are your thoughts?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: which mobile workbench/work center
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
It all comes down to what you want to spend and if you plan on keeping your current tool boxes.  That pricey Husky 72 is nicer looking and i see what you mean about the caster differences between the other Husky.  I like the pricey one as it doesn't have the chrome lips on the drawers and they appear to be powder coated.  If you have all your small hand tools to put into the shallow flat drawers it makes sense.  If you don't need all those shallow flat drawers, it might be a waste.  The Milwaukee with the peg board has no shallow flat drawers for tools - must be the reason for the peg board.  72" isn't that handy to move around when full, so it depends on how you will use it ultimately. 

Good luck - fun problem to solve!  I'd go and kick tires on each model and decide that way if it were me.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »
I think 72” is a bit long imo
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
Nate. How often will you actually move it?  The prices look really good. I have 3 56" Harbor Freight ones that rarely move. Prices are close to HF. I have lights over mine and they act as tool collector and then workbench. But I use welding table as workbench and roll it around if needed. I don't think the 4th ones raising table top would be worth the extra $$. Mine all have something on it unless you are real tidy. If you loaded down a 72" it would be heavy to roll. You could always upgrade the casters if you needed. Not a huge deal.

Great twice the size you need so you have room for more tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
Take a look at the us general at HF. I don’t care for their drawer latches but overall I’m happy with mine big set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »
I don’t like the textured finish on the Milwaukee units. It doesn’t wipe down easy enough.  That pricey box looks good!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
well, heres the one that I went with.

I chose this one for the pure fact that it was $100 cheaper and it gave me 2" more on the work top.  I honestly have to say that this thing is HEAVY and seems to be pretty darned good construction.  hopefully it will last........?

here is a pic of it in my trailer.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:12:19 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
remember,

this is/was all to replace this busted arse little red craftsman piece of crap........(not the quality snap on top box, now I know why snap on is so expensive.)

notice how the bottom box has buckled..........yeah, there are no cross braces/bars/whatever you want to call them that go around the bottom.  the casters are simple bolted to the sharty sheet metal.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »
so here are a few pics of this new box

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
here are a few more.

yeah, I think that this new box is actually as big if not a little bigger than my smoker.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
and here you can see the underside of this behemoth..........I will be VERY SUPPRISED if this thing starts to buckle.

all 6 casters are heavy duty, the 4 corner ones swivel as well as lock, and the 2 center ones swivel completely as well.  so yeah you can actually push the front of this thing and make it go wherever you want it to.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
and here is the final pic.......

the box is now in its final spot and shimmed so its level. 

I had to do a little re-arranging of the tools on the wall, but all in all were in business. 

now i just have to do final tweaking on how the drawers will be organized and what will be in each drawer.  speaking of which, yeah i did replace the crappy craftsman box with a matching husky one from home depot as well.

I do know that one will be my auto stuff and the other one will be home stuff (hopefully i can keep it that way  :wink:) . 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »
 :likebutton:

If it does buckle it will be those darn swivel casters....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »
Looks good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »
Looks solid. Nice

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 03:02:38 AM »
I like my Husky to replace the Craftsman. The new ones are bigger for the same price now have the built in plug too.

I wish they made a 24 deep for my mill.

Good choice!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 11:15:37 AM »
How long are you needing for your mill?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
Looking for a 24x48, that keeps the drip tray safe. I have found em, but normally around a grand.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal