Hello Guest

Author Topic: 4WD noise?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
4WD noise?
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
So yesterday when I headed home I forgot I was in snow wheel drive.

Got on it a bit and heard a funny growl.
Almost sounded like muffler letting go, more drone than normal. (To try and qualify the sound)

Then got on it pretty good to pass a guy, and same same growl.

Then remembered 4WD was engaged, no noise in 2WD.

So the question from the driveline guys, any thoughts.

I haven't checked fluids yet, so that may be.
When I did the pump rub fix, the T-case looked new inside.
It hasn't leaked that I have noticed.
The front driveshaft joints were tight at the same time.
Now, we had to beat the shaft off the T-case with a really BFH, and a ton of reps.

I'm thinking bent output shaft?
Slip joint stuck crooked?
Front diff?

Thoughts?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
Re: 4WD noise?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Well, I ran into this a few weeks back so I'll chime in. while beating out my ball joints and fried bearing on the driver's side I attempted to swap inner tie rods and found my breather assembly plate had un-threaded itself from the diff housing and exposed the gears to the elements and made a bunch of growling noise since the oil level was down. I thought it was all bearing but made a huge difference when I put it back where it belonged. Just my experience, but sounds like front diff noise, especially since is gone in 2wd.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »
I like the sounds of that.
I need to get it inside and thawed out and do some digging, but that is an easy one if that's the case.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:49 AM »
Were you on dry pavement? Might be a little drive train bind if none of the wheels were able to slip at all?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
It wasn't dry, but wasn't slippery where I did it.
That is also a good idea.
I've got lots of slippery at home, so I'll try it again later today on some slick and report back.
Sam

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
my old jeep was quite noisy in 4wd... i knew those gears were churning up front. My suburban is a bit at well. with my limited knowledge i'd say it's a little binding.

I learned its always important to have matching tires and matching tread depth on a 4wd.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
Might be front diff/driveline, bit I would guess it's probably nothing Sam. Front diff slop along with front driveline being a little "tight" will cause normal noise above 25mph on a lot of older vehicles, especially on hard pack.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Well Ken, I hate to say it, but you look to be correct...again.

Went for a drive tonight.
On the real slippery stuff just about ended in the ditch when the power let go from traction.
40 ish mph, lots of slip, no noise.
Got on some minimal traction road, no noise all speeds.
Back on slippery stuff, 50 mph nailed it, noise was there again, until the front tires broke loose as well.

So it appears that I may well be nothing other than rear traction lesser than front, loading everything up and making some unusual sounds.
I'm still going to thaw it out and have a good look at everything but I think I'm ok after all.

I guess I've never left it in 4wd on dry stuff before, or I had the radio too loud to notice maybe.
Sam

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
Are your gear ratios slightly different? I know in my old Land Cruiser the back was 4.10 and front was 4.09 or 4.11 (or vice versa I forget now) but that slight difference was enough where I had to take it out of 4WD as soon as I was on pavement or it would cause problems. I'm sure uneven tire wear could effectively do the same thing even with the same gear ratio.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
It's a stock 2006 Silverado. As far as I know I've got 3.73 front and rear.
The tires were new in the fall, and have maybe 10k on them. No wear to speak of at all.

I think it's a case of not 100% traction and a bit of wheel slip that is causing it.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal