Hello Guest

Author Topic: Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins  (Read 77102 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Building a work bench.
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
the wire will almost always have the type THHN, etc, and the gauge and temperature rating.  I would look at it very carefully.  The length of the run is also important.  Longer runs have more resistance and reduce the ampacity.

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

14 is only good for 15 amps.   Don't play games with electricity.  Not worth burning a house down over.

I think in general the yellow sheathed wire is good to 20amps, the white is 15amps. Depends on when your house was built though for that to matter, as that might be a new thing where the sprakies started using color coded wire.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
Yeah, yellow =12 gauge/20 amps and white=14 gauge/15amps
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 01:24:04 AM »
I'll fix it in the am when grandma comes to give me a baby break

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building a work bench.
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
Today I had a few minutes and removed the insert and sanded the 2x4s with 220 grit removed all the chalk lines, pencil marks and put a coat of stain on, three coats of lacquer with sanding in between coats. Looks good I think all finished
Don't mind the end. I need to move the tool box to finish that edge

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:44:29 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
Lookin good boss!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
Garage lighting.  What do you guys use ?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
I had issues with seeing in my office that had 2, 8 foot fluorescents, and my buddy that works at a factory told me to get 0ne T5 fixture and it would solve my old man problem. I went ahead and bought 2 if them (each has 2 little 4' bulbs) and ended up taking the bulbs out of one of them because it was so bright!
So i would recommend T5s or T8s for bright lighting. Standard T12 bulbs for cheap not-so-bright lighting.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2015, 07:35:16 PM »
What is the difference between the 2 8 foot tubes vs the four 4 foot lights?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »

8' florescent above and various fluorescents on the wall pointed outward which I can switch on to illuminate "into" a work area.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »
Nothing different if they are the same type bulbs. But if you're comparing 8' t12s to a different type bulb in the 4', like a t5, then the lighting is different.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »
transporting and storing 8 ft bulbs can be a bit of a challenge.  I have 4 twin 8ft fixtures in my shop.  Good lighting.  Look at the lumens on the bulbs like Ken says.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2015, 01:55:03 AM »
I kind of wanted to try LED lights, all my power in the garage comes from that one  Circuit that I changed back to the 15 amp breaker on.   I don't want to turn on a angle grinder and have the lights on.  I guess I have it in my head to conserve energy

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building a work bench.
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2015, 02:02:17 AM »
Kind of what I was thinking. 

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-4-ft-2-Light-LED-Utility-Shop-Light-73985/205701897

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-4-ft-1-Light-White-LED-Utility-Shop-Light-73992/205704101

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:03:45 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
That's an interesting find there Dave of bigness!

I didn't know that was out there. Pretty good price. My question would be how many lumens and how does that compare to the mercury poisoned ones I use?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »
I have this one in the laundry room. Works great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-White-LED-Flushmount-Wraparound-Light-FMLWL-48-840/205570126

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
You can also go to superbrightleds.com and get self adhesive led strips then cut to length and attach a small power supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
How about my existing 8 ft fluorescent fixtures...can I purchase LED tubes for those?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »
4' T8's work really well

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
Six I think they do make conversion kits for your long tubes. Rewire a positive at one end

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
I have two T8 four footers in my double garage and they are OK, 4 would be better. My entire garage is 12g also.

I like the new 4ft LEDs and have a couple for general use now, need flush mounts for upstairs.

My eyes still hurt from that picture!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
The first link I posted the light puts out 3700 lumens.  The second light puts out 1600 I think I read   I money and light output is worth it to me to buy the double lights.  I also have fought to travel with eight foot tubes.  Unless you buy a case you have to be pretty careful. The buzz of the fluorescent lights bugs me after working at a desk under them for so long.  The pulsing gives me a headache

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building a work bench.
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2015, 11:17:44 PM »
Tonight I started the 2x6 redwood for the deck in the back yard.  I got them half way sanded

The pile on the right is ready for stain
The pile on the left is still in need of some 100grit

I sanded and stained these last week I hope to have it finished before the snow hits. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:18:16 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »
Sorry I turned my workbench build into a spot to post all the honey dos. 
Like concrete porch removal

No more major trip hazard and the rain gutter now has proper drain with gravel and back fill

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
I can rename the thread for you if you would like dave....dave's honey do's / what dave does when handling or not handling twins.....?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:02:49 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »
I can rename the thread for you if you would like dave....dave's honey do's / what dave does when not handling twins.....?

HA! Looks like in the second photo Dave is handling twins!  ;D ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
I fixed it
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
Ok, so I'm scratching my head... in the "sanded and stained" picture of Dave's garage, the door into the house sits back from the wall on the right (and the garage is way less messy)  ;D, but in the workbench photos, the wall is flush with the door... Did I miss a major garage remodel or a move to a new house?  Is this the neighbor's garage?

Yeah yeah... first world problems of doors/walls not matching up  ;) 
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Oh man I usually try really hard to keep myself out of photos.  Oops. 

As for the rename idea.  I could get on board with that. 

I do have a end date now to my father if the year goal.    Work called this last week. They need me back on the 16th of next month.   Kids will go to a sitter who is s close friend. I am giving her my vw so she has my car seats and she can watch them in my home.   

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:28 PM »
Why, got caught by the inadvertent selfie! :)

You're not the first, and I'm sure not the last. Lol.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
Ok, so I'm scratching my head... in the "sanded and stained" picture of Dave's garage, the door into the house sits back from the wall on the right (and the garage is way less messy)  ;D, but in the workbench photos, the wall is flush with the door... Did I miss a major garage remodel or a move to a new house?  Is this the neighbor's garage?

I'm with ya here. Went back and looked and looked, and I'm scratchin now.
Two doors? Different garage? Optical illusion?
Not sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 05:57:10 AM »

You got it good Watson.  I am using the neighbors garage as he rents the home,  less stuff to strip over in his garage for sure.   There has been so many projects going I had to bum some space to get the deck going too.  Temps are dropping here into the thirties this week.   

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
just give me or kyle a name that you would like it changed to and well make it happen

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »
I liked your second idea.  Go for it

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »
I vote for "The Big Dave Workbench, Honey Do, Catch All, DOT Thread...."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »
So.m I have missed the  definition of the DOT? Help?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
definition of the DOT? Help?

Here is the official definition, though scholars have maintained the translation was lost long ago:

D.O.T. (Derailleur of Threads) is a term coined by this site some time ago. Used to describe those undisciplined, unruly, out of control, adolescent minded, good for nuttins' who inhabit moderate our site here
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:45:01 PM by cudakidd53 »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
I cool with that.  I need all the communication in my life I can get.   Kids don't talk much 

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
I cool with that.  I need all the communication in my life I can get.   Kids don't talk much 

Remember that feeling..........there will come a time..........and you will ponder the age old question- "who teaches a child the word WHY?"  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
dave, do you like the name change or would you like something different?!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »
It's all good man.   Lol

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »
then it is official!  this thread is the sole property of big dave..............;D!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 11:15:48 PM »
Ok so the last weekend I got the horizontal part of my deck all but done  sorry no photos as its to dark outside to see, I made another $300 dollar trip to the homodepo. Picked up 5 4x4,s 2 2x12s, 8 2x4s, all 12' long. I sanded and stained the 4x4s

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »
Well I put the wood to some use today.  This past weekend I got the deck flat area all but done. Tonight I replaced the handrail and some of the framing/floor joists
Cleaned up before the cops get called.  The 20v dewalt brushless impact is bad a$$$

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2015, 12:31:52 AM »
Well I made good use of the bad air compressor tank today.  Awhile back I cut it down and gave half away

I figured I could save my self some haul time and effort and keep warm at the same time.   Yes it was frosty out when I started the idea   But I finished the deck today and burned lots of wood at this point I realized what I had done wrong!!^^^^  so I had to make a trip to the Homodepo and get another 2x12x8 to cut it out correctly.   Stair stringers suck!
The burn barrel . The base is a highly engineered piece of equipment. Fire proof and keeps gras from burning also.   

I'll post good photos of the deck in the morning
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:33:18 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
Good idea!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2015, 02:18:38 AM »
Great use for old LPG tanks and I bet the sides radiate a good amount of heat,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
I had a second thought about that tank.  I should have left it tall cut a six inch vent in the top and made a fire place for the garage out of it.   You could easily vent it through a ceiling or a wall vent.   What do you think?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »
Might be a bit big for heating a small space. That thing will really put out the heat, I'd bet, but a good idea none the less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
Not bad.  Gotta be very careful about flammables lest you wind up in the 2016 version of the Darwin Awards.

There are some cheap kits designed for use with 55 gal drums too since you've already committed by cutting that tank in half

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal