TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Hougen Magnetic Drill Press

(1/4) > >>

KensAuto:
Made my '18 tool purchase today, something that I've wanted for several years, and never had a use for.
I will give blame where it is due...his name is Farmer Jon. lol
...so, spent a couple weeks looking at different versions, and decided on one made in the U.S. It has a swivel base, coolant feed, and most importantly, a power feed setting. Hougen HMD927:

Annular cutters (9/16 to 1-1/16")

...and 1/2" drill chuck w/adaptor:

Farmer Jon:
That is a nice one. You may not use one very often but when you need it you will be glad you have it. Here are a few things I learned the hard way.

Get some cutting fluid in an aerosol can. Don't really mater what brand. Its easier then messing with the coolant feed especially if you  are just doing a few holes. Sometimes the little slug is not ejected from the center of the cutting bit. Tap on the side of the bit and it will usually pop right out. Use the shortest heaviest extension cord you have. It will not work well off a 100 footer.  If you break a cutting bit be prepared to pay anywhere from $40-$75 depending on the size. As soon as your buddies know you have it they will be wanting to borrow it.  :beercheers:

stlaser:
Hey guys, don’t use liquid cutting fluid. It makes a mess, use the stuff that comes in a tube (looks like a tube of grease size wise anyhow) and it is textured like deodorant. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

Below is the link to the company who’s stuff I use, bought it via amazon. This stuff is amazing....

http://orelube.com/products/solids/

Long story short I dealt with liquid cutting fluid for years on a Bridgeport mill (see really messy) and we were buying stones for our Blanchard grinder & a supplier sent us a tube of this stuff. I’ve never looked back since.

TexasRedNeck:
Not sure what I’d use one for but me likey

:thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:
Btw, I’m jealous Ken! Nice purchase  :likebutton:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version