TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Matthews Precision PM-940M-PDF Vertical Mill

(1/4) > >>

stlaser:
OK, so I'll quit DOTing up Ken's thread since I went a different direction and bought this versus a Grizzly. As I stated around the forum some things have cropped up in my life throwing wrenches into the mix. It's all business and nothing personal so no worries there. I will be detailing that in another thread here in the next week or two.

I have been considering a smaller benchtop mill ever since I sold my 2HP Bridgeport. I had that mill for a good 13 years prior to the move to Colorado in 2015. At around 2000# it was just too large for me to move easily by myself. In the meantime I have been making due with a Powermatic Model 1200 with reversible 1hp motor and an aftermarket mill table which I will now be offloading (just the mill table not the drill press). It has been worked hard over the years and it has always been a great drill press. I've had two different motors on it over the years and the current one was rebuilt maybe ten years back.

So last night like every night for the past week I have been digging thru specifications on these Taiwanese built bench top mills. Last night I was going over the independent reviews on a couple of Grizzly units when someone mention Matthews Precision. So I started looking & unfortunately the selections of models they had in stock were few and far between. I would like to have had a unit with DRO already installed (I have enough projects currently on my plate) and those were all sold out at the moment with an 8 week lead time before the next ship arrives. My current time frame to get it up and running is 3 weeks roughly. This morning I called MP and spoke with a nice young lady and asked quite a few questions. By the time I was done I decided to order the the unit as stated in the title of the thread. Couple things that sold me was the substantially larger Y movement and the table work height was taller. I'm 6'3" so that extra 1 inch is helpful. The overall weight of the machine is impressive with a cast base that is 350# alone that they include in the price and recommend for stability. They ship in tow different crates for ease of moving it around with an engine hoist as I will be doing. Here is the link and specs.

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-940m/

Main Specifications of PM-940M:
Table Size: 9-1/2″x40″
Max. Recommended Table Load Capacity: 400 lbs (Centered)
Table T-Slot Size and Number: 14mm / 9/16″, 3 Slots
Table Travel, X Axis: 28″ Hand Only, 26″ w/ Power Feed
Table Surface Height from floor, 35″ (With base flat on floor)
Base Dimension at floor approx. 18-1/2″W x 27″D, with 5/8″ Bottom Holes for leveling pads/bolts
Normal Working Max Height: (top of column travel motor) 82″ (with base)
Height with head all the way up: (top of main motor) 85″(with base)
Stand (Base) height, to machine mounting surface: 24″
Cross Travel, Y Axis: 12″
Head Vertical Travel: 20″
Max. Distance Spindle to Table: 22″
Quill (Spindle) Travel: 5″
Lead Screw Type: Inch Pitch Acme Threads – 10TPI on X and Y Axis
Spindle Taper: R-8, with 7/16-20 drawbar thread (U.S. Standard)
Quill Diameter: approx. 3″
Head Swivel: Side To Side, 90 Degrees
Power Required: 220 Volt, Single Phase, 10 Amp Supply
Main Motor Horsepower: 2 H.P.
Casting Type: Fine Grain Cast Iron
Approximate Weight: 1350lbs with Base
Warranty: 3 Years

& upgrades that come on this exact model I ordered are

Includes: Quill DRO (For spindle depth measurement), Z Axis (Head) Positioning Motor (used to lift and lower head for positioning, eliminates the need to raise and lower head by hand cranking) X Axis Table Feed, POWER DOWN FEED on spindle, and Cast Iron Base (Note: Same as #3, with the addition of Power Down Feed on spindle for boring operations)

And best part is it is not green or orange so if Don stops by it should get damaged by him...... :tongue:

KensAuto:
That does seem a lot nicer. I guess I got your PM too late. lol
Wanna trade?

...mine is 31 1/2" from the floor, so that one should be 3 1/2" taller? I contemplated building a base, to put under the base, to raise mine up. It is rough on the lower back.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on April 16, 2018, 03:44:02 PM ---That does seem a lot nicer. I guess I got your PM too late. lol
Wanna trade?

...mine is 31 1/2" from the floor, so that one should be 3 1/2" taller? I contemplated building a base, to put under the base, to raise mine up. It is rough on the lower back.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Ken, I guess I should get this one before I start horse trading......

The Grizzly's I was looking at I swore they said 34 inches from the floor? Anyhow every bench I build and the one in my shop now is always 35 inches tall. I'm not building kitchen cabinets....... :tongue:

KensAuto:
The 755 is 34", but that spec isn't given on the 754.
I also really like the additional x&y travel on the Mathews. 8" on my Y travel is not enough for quite a few projects.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on April 16, 2018, 04:49:29 PM ---The 755 is 34", but that spec isn't given on the 754.
I also really like the additional x&y travel on the Mathews. 8" on my Y travel is not enough for quite a few projects.

--- End quote ---

Honestly that 8 inches on the y travel had me concerned too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version