Hello Guest

Author Topic: Let me brag on my son!  (Read 659 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Let me brag on my son!
« on: August 19, 2022, 11:24:51 PM »
I just came home from a football game where my youngest son played as a starting Line backer and a starting Running Back.

Oddly several hours earlier I had one of those tough talks with him. He had blown off getting some paperwork filled out and the head coach started burning up our phones around 0800. Had the paperwork not been completed, Chris would not have been allowed to play tonight.

Knowing his laziness could have well affected not only him, but his entire team, I said a few choice things about letting your teammates down and other things about team playing as it relates to his desire to lead men as a future Army Officer.

With that in his crawl (Did I spell that korektly?), he departed around 1700.

The game began at 1900. We played a team much larger than ours with fifty-odd players. This year we are putting out a smaller team in the 30s. Watching them work out prior to the kickoff, I made the comment that I hoped we could last three quarters against these monsters.

Talk about eating my words...My son shut down their runs with some outstanding tackles. It seemed on literally every play, number 45 was the guy who made the tackle. On one runaway kickoff return he tackled the runner on the three yard line preventing the score. Our team was able to hold them and they did not score.
Early in the first quarter I saw him run for a first down after a 15 yard penalty set us W A Y back. He caught a pass the next play for another first down, and during the next set, advanced the ball to field goal range which we scored on.

During the second quarter, Chris playing both defense and offense scored a touchdown on a thirty-something-yard run. The other team scored, but we led at the half. The third quarter they scored, but Chris ran in for another long touchdown run. He was on fire. He sacked the quarterback at least twice and made a bunch more tackles. All you'd hear is "tackle by Chris Harward" time and time again. Late in the third, that boy ran in for another touchdown, now having scored three.

The fourth quarter was a real fight. They should not be losing to our 2A team, but they just couldn't move the ball. Then once more with four minutes on the clock, Chris took it in for his fourth touchdown of the night. He ended the game by making the final tackle.

After the game, the head coach looked me up and asked me, "What in the He__ did you feed that boy this morning?" He was amazed. I told him I had gotten into an almost argument before the game, and maybe he was taking out his frustration on everyone else. Coach just shook his head and I told him, next week before the game, I'll restrict him and take away his car keys!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say I am proud of my son is a gross understatement at the moment. So proud of you Chris!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Let me brag on my son!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 11:37:11 PM »
 :likebutton: :likebutton:

Montana State has a pretty good program just saying……
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 08:43:19 AM »
Oh and I just realized it this morning, but we are a 2A school, and we just played and beat (badly) the powerhouse 4A team in our league.

Now I am interested to see if this was a moment of greatness or if it's repeatable...?

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:14:30 AM »
Outstanding.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:33:12 PM »
Awesome! Given the correct amount of motivation men can exceed at anything

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »
Very cool dad moment. You see what people are made of when the chips are down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 04:10:11 PM »
That is awesome, Don! Sounds like he got his focus from your pre-game "pep talk"!   :beercheers:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 08:22:14 PM »
That is awesome, Don! Sounds like he got his focus from your pre-game "pep talk"!   :beercheers:
For his sake, let's hope that's not the case!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 11:06:21 AM »
Sounds like he needed a little kick start...

Never underestimate the power of a good "pep-talk". I coached a parks and rec baseball team and gave them as close to an NCO pep talk as I could without some colorful language and they ended up winning the game.

So good job Dad/Chief
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 12:57:17 AM »
Thats great, nothing makes a dad prouder than watching their son (daughter) kick some arse for the team.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal