Hello Guest

Poll

The NYSE was shutdown today following a computer malfunction

The computer glitch that affected three major markets was the result of a software glitch
2 (25%)
The shutdown was the result of a cyber attack
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 18, 2015, 04:29:27 PM

Author Topic: NYSE shutdown 7 8 2015  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
NYSE shutdown 7 8 2015
« on: July 08, 2015, 04:29:27 PM »
The market shutdown today. A move which is highly unusual. Three broad markets were affected, yet media talking heads assure us that a software glitch at the NYSE was the cause. It would seem highly suspicious that a singular event caused three markets to trigger to close.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NYSE shutdown 7 8 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
With all these hacks going on they want to say its a glitch? That glitch is living in a big white house saying we are safe.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
We rained out today so I've been following this closely.   I find it strange that China's markets are in free fall, the Greece situation unfolding, United grounds all their flights due to a glitch and Washington DC is experiencing sporadic power outages.

Option 1) Markets were down 200 points when trading stopped.  Makes me think it was about to go over the edge and the plunge protection teams stopped it. 

Option 2) Attack

No way it was a glitch.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »
It was a failed software upgrade overnight at the exchange, that was reverted around midday, and trading platforms rebooted... Market irregularity was occurring from the open of the trading session, not a sudden outage characteristic of an attack.

This is my wheelhouse fellas... I see no indications of a hack.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Ditto Dawg's comment from me.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
Just curious but how do you explain this?

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/247225-anonymous-issued-cryptic-tweet-on-eve-of-nyse-suspension

It was the day before the issues.  ::)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
Probably referring to the fact that the market would open sharply down due to Greece issues, and continued declines in China.

Nothing else at the exchange was impacted, only a single platform to my knowledge. My personal belief is that if it was an attack, it would have impacted more than just the trading engine. It would have been a broad outage across all services.

Just one mans opinion. Besides, North Korea already claimed responsibility LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
I am biased as I always seem to see things through the lens of the military professional.

I like to disprove something is a threat rather than choose coincidence. My information may be wrong, but I saw Fox business yesterday reporting that the NYSE was closed down due to a computer software problem and I believe two other markets closed as well. I am not sure if they were similiarily affected or simply closed in reaction to the NYSE.

Then there's the United Airline computer glitch.

Familiar with the military terms "Feint and Ruse?"

In this attack context, if indeed it was an attack a well crafted attack might be engineered to look like something else completely, to lead the hound dogs off the trail. After all when we do locate those malicious folks, then certain parts of the Army and the Navy get to go to work...work which is never reported, at least not before this "Open" administration started telling everyone over at Al-Jazeera.

Remember the Iranian nuke centrifuge meltdown (Cyber attack?) Made to look like a bunch of random hardware failures that just so happened to spin the uranium into useless junk? We now know that event as a very sophisticated cyber attack.

We are vunerable from so many different areas. Public transportation, banking, power grid, water purification, and even hydro-electrical systems. If I were planning an attack on an adversary as multifaceted as the US, I'd want to hit them from as many different areas as possible. That makes recovery nearly impossible. And right in the midst of them getting totally involved in fixing things, start the real physical attack.

Hear about the Russian Bear bombers that interdicted the east and west coasts of the US on the 4th of July?? On the 4th of July! They were intercepted by our F-22's. We should have had some commander with some gonads and just accidentally smoke them for some good ole target practice. Now what do Bear Bombers carry??? Fireworks perhaps? Was Putin trying to help us celebrate our independence day?

Or are they purpose designed to carry and deliver nuclear weapons? And what is all this talk of the soviets working on the double time to develop a super strong EMP weapon?

Seems I recollect that a nuclear EMP weapon exploded above the east and west coasts, One likely carried by a cruise missile attached to some big long range bomber, might be just the ticket to get that EMP device to the right spot.

Crazy you think? I surely hope so!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:30:14 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »
The "3" yesterday were NYSE, United Airlines, and the Wall Street Journal website.

It's possible it was an attack sure. Having been through one it's certainly true the affected don't want it to be known.

I do remember the Iran centrifuges and 100% believe an operative over spun those suckers from a desk 1000s of miles away.

It's a wild world, and going to get crazier. I'm just skeptical about this one... No doubt it stinks of fish

Hadn't heard about the Russian bombers....

NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
http://bgr.com/2015/07/07/u-s-fighter-jets-intercept-russian-bombers/

Allow me to correct myself. Two flights of TU-95 Bear bombers, one near Alaska intercepted by F22's and two off the coast of California intercepted by F-15's. None off the east coast, my mistake.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
I just read that too... Crazy.

Didn't know they had F-22s up in Alaska.

Btw, I just read an interesting theory that the "hacks" we're Chinese... Which would be more believable than Anonymous

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Well we know it wasn't me, I can't even get my mouse up and running.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
I just read that too... Crazy.

Didn't know they had F-22s up in Alaska.

Btw, I just read an interesting theory that the "hacks" we're Chinese... Which would be more believable than Anonymous

China, with all the western cash flowing into their (Communist) country has been on a massive military build up.
They have a stealth fighter about as good as ours, and more of them. They are building submarines along with N. Korea. They are building a blue water navy and even now have a super carrier. They recently exercised their navy near Hawaii...yes Hawaii.
The pentagon is developing plans to thwart a Chinese occupation of Hawaii!
The Chinese are turning several reefs and submerged atolls near Vietnam into military bases with runways, deep water docks just like our Diego-Garcia.

They are issuing better assault rifles, are building good t-80 style tanks now and have not slowed in the building of strategic and tactical nukes. They are a superpower! They didn't even have to build any bigger to assume the #1 spot as our administration mothballed most of our military in the past 6 years and stifled our recovery by years. If China makes a move, we're likely toast. If China moves on Taiwan and Putin on the Ukraine, then choose your favorite. If ISIS invades Egypt while this is happening, say good bye to the middle east and the Suez canal, and hello to nuclear war likely started by Israel as they are invaded by both Isil and an Iranian nuclear attack.

Good time to be focusing on global warming and paring down the military so we can pay for tens of millions new illegal immigrants with free OBcare, all paid for by a shrinking middle class.

Yup, things are looking up, I'd say...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
Well we know it wasn't me, I can't even get my mouse up and running.
This keeps up and it won't be your mouse doing the running!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
HAHA! I'm wondering if the same folks that run maintenance on our site's servers started working at NYSE

NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
HAHA! I'm wondering if the same folks that run maintenance on our site's servers started working at NYSE

Trained by the current admin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Diego-Garcia, didn't know about it but not surprised at all. Sure there are a few that few know about.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »

I think they were hired by this site's internet host company!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
The "3" yesterday were NYSE, United Airlines, and the Wall Street Journal website.

It's possible it was an attack sure. Having been through one it's certainly true the affected don't want it to be known.

I do remember the Iran centrifuges and 100% believe an operative over spun those suckers from a desk 1000s of miles away.

It's a wild world, and going to get crazier. I'm just skeptical about this one... No doubt it stinks of fish

Hadn't heard about the Russian bombers....

I met a couple of guys in the know on the Iran centrifuge deal.  There was human breach that allowed a "candy drop" to take place in the facility.  Which is a nice way of saying some operative placed a usb stick on the floor.  Then some unsuspecting schmuck plugged it in out of curiosity and the virus that was used was transferred into their system from behind the firewall.

Very few hacks are brute force hardware attacks.  Most successful hacks involve human security breaches
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal