Hello Guest

Author Topic: Optics Thread  (Read 4110 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Optics Thread
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
We don't have an optics thread. We do now! Here's a place to share what you got, learn about new ones. Post pics and enjoy!
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Optics Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »
PFI OPTICS

www.RapidReticle.com

There are 3 different classes of product.  The USO-PFI Series is made here in the US Optics factory.  US Optics makes high end optics and the series utilizes our reticles.  Currently, we have a reticle in the SR8 body designed for the MK17 weapon system, but it could used with any 16" 7.62x51 system.  The other is the USO-PFI-BLK which is designed for the .300BLK and 7.62x39.  Both optics are intended for military use and houses the finest components.

The PFI Tactical Series is a proprietary mil-spec product line made at the Light Optical facility in Japan.  This is where our RR-900's and RR-CQLR optics are made.  The SOPS-Compact is also made in Japan, but at the Kenko facility.  All three optics have or are being used with the US military and other foreign forces.

The RR-Evolution Series is a line of optics that we built for the civilian market.  Every optic features quality components like BAK7 glass, all aluminum body, etch reticles, and illumination.  The scopes are manufactured at a partner facility in China...one of only a handful of facilities capable of producing quality first focal plane optics.  Because we are able to manufacture the optics here, we can offer these riflescopes at an incredible budget friendly cost to the consumer.  Each scope whether for the .22LR to the .308 go through three shocks tests equivalent to the recoil of a .50BMG rifle to ensure durability. 
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
PFIRich explaining the reticles and set up of PFI scopes:

Thank you.  Did you mean to say that our optics are gun specific?  If so, that is partly true.  Its more BC specific which in some circumstances would be gun specific.  In particular, each scope has a reticle for a particular BC and in most cases means that it is for a particular ammunition load and barrel length.  For example, the USO-PFI-762C is designed for the following ammunition and weapon configuration:

• 7.62x51: 175gr, B.C. 0.485-0.505 @ 2440 fps, 16” barrel
• 7.62x51: 175gr, B.C. 0.485-0.505 @ 2575 fps, 20” barrel
• 7.62x51: 168gr, B.C. 0.431-0.447 @ 2405 fps, 16” barrel
• 7.62x51: 147-150gr B.C. 0.397 to 0.410 @ 2600 fps, 16” barrel
• 5.56x45: 55-75gr, B.C. 0.234 to 0.272 @ 2660-3200 fps, 16” barrel

The RR-Evolution-5.56/7.62 that Flyin6 is getting works with:

 7.62NATO BC: 2430-2700 ft/s
 7.62 NATO (.308WIN) 175gr Sierra Match: BC = .505 @ 2,600 ft/s
 7.62 NATO (.308WIN) 168gr: BC – .462 @ 2,700 ft/s
 5.56 NATO (55gr, 62gr, 75gr) and 7.62NATO (147gr, BC: .401) (up to 600 yards)

We basically designed it for the 20" AR-10 platform shooting 168 or 175gr ammunition.  5.56x45 carries the same ballistic curve as .308 out to 600 yards.  That's why it works in the same scope.

When reticles are designed, we focus on the most common weapon systems being used.  The military stuff is relatively simple since there are only a few calibers that we need to work with.  In the civilian work on the other hand, we have a scope for .22LR, .22WSM, .17HMR, .17WSM, and then there's the H which works with 180 of the most common hunting loads.  In the H, all those rounds have just about the same ballistic curve out to 600 yards.  After 600 yards, they start to deviate from each other.  In that scope, after 600 yards, there are series of crosses so shooters can figure out where their impacts are for 700, 800, 900, and so on and then use the crosses accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:35:34 AM by BobbyB »

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:27:13 PM »
How about an optics category in weapons??
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
How about an optics category in weapons??

Once one gets made, I'll transfer everything. Think of this as a notepad

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Vortex came out with a couple new scopes. So thought I'd share the links.

This one is 100% made in the USA.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_amg_riflescope

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/golden_eagle_hd_riflescope
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:35:07 AM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
So someone told me that Vortex offers a MIL / LEO discount program. But they weren't sure as to what the discount was, so I emailed them. The Mil / LEO discount is...... 40% off MSRP

Here's the link to fill out the form and attach some sort of verification; there's a list of what's accepted.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/military_le_program

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
That is a solid discount. To bad Don and I are retired.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
That is a solid discount. To bad Don and I are retired.

Did you click the link? You both still qualify. Retired Mil, and I'm pretty sure that retired LEOs would still get the discount. Only way to be sure would be to try and get approved. But I don't foresee a problem.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:18:23 PM by BobbyB »

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »
I'm starting to like Vortex more and more after reading about that discount although it does not apply to myself. Never really used anything but leupold for years (with the exception of the Nikon P223 on my AR) but I decided to give vortex a try on the Ruger precision rifle I picked up a few months back. Mounted a razor hd gen2 4.5-27x56mm in a Spuhr mount. Haven't had time to put it on the range yet but just looking through the scope out in the backyard, man that is some clear glass with a crisp picture through the magnification range and the parallax makes it all the more easy to focus once you get the initial setting dialed in.

Will post further reviews once (if) I ever have time to shoot it.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:21 PM »
Mounted a razor hd gen2 4.5-27x56mm in a Spuhr mount.

Nice choice, isn't she a hefty beast?

Spuhr makes a good mount... just many dollars...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:16:45 PM by BobbyB »

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
Think it tips the scales just north of 3 pounds. Don't remember the exact weight but it sure isn't light. I have scope and rifle combos that don't weigh as much. Whole set up now is probably close to 14.5-15 pounds. Wasn't sure about the Spuhr mount at first since I couldn't see one in person first but I happened to walk into a local gun shop one evening and the fella there had one on his personal rifle he was building and decided that was the one to go with. Very sturdy mount indeed

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
I did click on the link, but I missed it,if it said retired.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »
I did click on the link, but I missed it,if it said retired.

Aren't you retired from the Sheriffs Department? I'd still give it a try, couldn't hurt.

EDIT - Since I still have the CS guys email I'll just email and ask him. Easy peasy..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:29:41 AM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »
JR, I got a reply from the CS guy at Vortex regarding retired LEOs.

Retired LEOs, DO qualify with verification of past employment/duty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal