Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug-out location Construction, Part 5  (Read 17722 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug-out location Construction, Part 5
« Reply #900 on: September 16, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Early during day two, the steering started to bind up and then the transmission of the big John Deere started not to work...Loss of fluid...
Site owner    IS 6:8  Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author: Distant Thunder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 16, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »
That took a new spare line (I now keep a bunch of different sizes on hand) and 4 gallons of hy-guard hydraulic fluid to get repaired.

So back at it I went. I managed to last another field before the next disaster struck

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 16, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »
When those things come flying off, it gets real shaky immediately and can scare the stuff out of you!

But I had the left over from the last time (Or the time before that) when it happened last

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 16, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
But I decided not to bolt it on but keep the buggered up blade as a spare and go get another new set and new bolts

So, thinking it was an omen I messed around with Sarge a little, and got that old creature running and brought it up front to work on it. I'm about to dive in and repair the hydraulics

So come the third day, I fired up Chief and got digging on the pond. You see the remnants of Hurricane Florence will be here in a day, so I thought it would be prudent to increase the volume of the pond to accommodate all the liquid sunshine about to drop

In the picture the thing is already flooded (Can a pond be actually flooded??) part of the water surface is covering an unexcavated shelf that I was creating to work from.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 16, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
So I'm happily diffing along when for no other reason than just to look, I scanned the engine instruments. The water temp was pegged on HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I shut it off, and listened to water boiling in the radiator and started to think horrible destroyed Mitsubishi diesel engine thoughts.

So I let it cool down and then added about a gallon of anti freeze to that huge (15-20 gal???) system. Only a gallon, hmmm...

So I started poking around and quickly found two loose fan belts. Now this fan is big enough to replace a BlackHawk helicopter main rotor, so it would have been slipping some.

I burned my hands and both knees on the hot metal, exhaust, turbo, hydraulic lines and radiator, but managed to snug up the belts.

I restarted and the temp went back down to low green then settled in the center of the normal arc, so I kept digging

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 16, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
Around that time somewhere something came in on me at about Mach 2 and planted a solid sting on my knee!

Seriously, my knee?? Couldn't have hit me anywhere else, no, had to be my knee! That thing stung all day long, stung all night long and finally turned into an itch the next day. Now two days later it is still itching. It was this huge yellow hornet looking thing, like an inch and a half long

It wasn't as big as the pic, but looked like that thing. Man what a wallop that thing packs!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
So I managed to finish digging the pond extension without further incident, and then worked on the long grub pile for a few more hours.

The Kubota performed perfectly and near the end of the day, around 1800, I had even begun shaping in the pond some

That which you see is about 1/3 of the final size of what I am shooting for.

It is only 4-5 feet deep, but I have sort of lost out on the excavation plan of digging successive holes, then digging out the walls between them. I have just been plunging the dipper stick down then curling the bucket well underwater and pulling up big bites of earth at a time. I think that bucket is somewhere around 1.5 yards, but I pull it out heaping three feet over a lot of time. I am probably averaging 2 yards per bite.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »
This entire operation has been sled dog approved

(Some animals were harmed or dismembered during the filming of this project)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 16, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
So, looking down the road, I will have to shift up the order of the projects yet again. I spent a good percentage of the summer holding down a chair from that pesky knee operation.

As a result the retaining wall I have been trying to build is still just a pipe dream.

But now comes the fall and rain, which will give way to winter

I'm afraid I can't wait any longer to get some structure up and over the saw mill. I don't want to keep that exposed to the elements, and I want to be able to saw up things even in the nasty weather, so I'll need a roof and some walls.

So, I'm thinking the next time I show up down there, I am going to test that spendy auger I purchased and plant  eight or ten posts in the ground and start framing up the next sanctuary from the weather, and wasp and spider nesting site.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 16, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »
Was worried you were MIA.  Glad to see the status SNAFU
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 16, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
This entire operation has been sled dog approved

(Some animals were harmed or dismembered during the filming of this project)

?
Nate

Give me coffee for the things I can change and Bourbon for the things I cannot!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • Just call me Bounty.... always absorbing abuse
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 16, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
Pond is looking great, and almost a lake!. The backside/dam grew in pretty good... looks like it's been there for ages.
Good to see you back in action!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
What the heck did you hit this time? You even break the kabota when your done with the JD. Did sarge run OK?

Let that puppy clear up and plant some fish in there!

Knee operation? I knew it bugged you but missed the operation part!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob/OlallaWa

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
Don, with the way that dirt looks, the pond may never completely clear up. Maybe pump  water to a grassy area and let it flow slowly back into the pond or un some big filters.  Looks like lots of fine silt and clay, stays in suspension for a very long time. Good thing is it will hide the fish from the big ugly long legged birds.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
Don, with the way that dirt looks, the pond may never completely clear up. Maybe pump  water to a grassy area and let it flow slowly back into the pond or un some big filters.  Looks like lots of fine silt and clay, stays in suspension for a very long time. Good thing is it will hide the fish from the big ugly long legged birds.
Roger that Bob

It does stay muddy a lot

At this point I am just going to dig the snot out of it and let nature do the rest.

The other pond which I mucked out looked like that, then after the summer turned to somewhat clear greenish KY pond water.

Oh and I made the banks a vertical plunge of three feet so those long legged flyin things wouldn't have anything to stand in.

I think I'll throw a half dozen grass carp in there before winter. They keep ponds around here pretty clear. Eat weeds on the bank, algae and everything else not made of granite!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 17, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »
Pond is looking great, and almost a lake!. The backside/dam grew in pretty good... looks like it's been there for ages.
Good to see you back in action!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I still have a small mountain of dirt to move yet. What you see is still just barely 1/3 of the final size of the thing. Chief and the other machines will get plenty of exercise over the winter...

Offline Bob/OlallaWa

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 17, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
Everything I have read about the grass carp says they do get aggressive with all the vegetation around them. Even the smaller brush hanging over the bank near the water. Out here you have to get a permit to plant them and the permit can require screening the  inlets and outlets of the lake to keep the carp from escaping into the wild. Most often the state won't allow them to be planted. Our lakes could really benefit having them eating the vegetation, as the pond weeds are taking over.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 17, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
Everything I have read about the grass carp says they do get aggressive with all the vegetation around them. Even the smaller brush hanging over the bank near the water. Out here you have to get a permit to plant them and the permit can require screening the  inlets and outlets of the lake to keep the carp from escaping into the wild. Most often the state won't allow them to be planted. Our lakes could really benefit having them eating the vegetation, as the pond weeds are taking over.
Around here you simply go to the farm supply and buy a few of them then toss them into your pond!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:27:12 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 17, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
I hear they taste like mud

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 17, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Just come up here Don and drive your boat fast along the rivers and they'll jump in your boat!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 17, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
They look like a tank and don't have that nasty sucker like most.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »
Just come up here Don and drive your boat fast along the rivers and they'll jump in your boat!
So those things are the grass carp? From SE asia? (Vietnam??)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Found a farm that sells them...Triploid for $7 ea for a 12" fish. (Triploid: Cannot reproduce)