Hello Guest

Author Topic: "Shorty"  (Read 396 times)

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
"Shorty"
« on: March 08, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Over the last few months my wife and I have been discussing the idea of acquiring a vehicle that can go places we should't take a full size truck. Something that can be flat towed, can it's self tow a small trailer, and hopefully a rig that's tractor simple, with license plates.

So a while back that rig came into focus for us rather rapidly.  Meet Shorty....

1974 Jeep CJ5, 8,834 original miles, original paint/top, and still sporting the OEM spare tire on it's side. Effectively just the way Jeep built it in late 1973.

Shorty was ordered by a post man at a semi local lake community here in Neb. He optioned it with H78 whitewalls, the "big-six" (258) the rather rare hard to find T18 4 speed, power lock rear limited slip, 4.27 gears. He also ordered the optional Arctic hard top as well.

It spent it's days going fishing, hunting, and running to the bait shop and not much else. It then after many years but not many miles, rusted out a head gasket around 1982-3 somewhere. It was left in the heated garage until 2 years ago... the "neighbor" a street rod kind of guy bought it, replaced the engine with a "fresh" rebuild. He then redid the brakes, tossed a battery in it and then put about 45 miles on it in the next two years. Somewhere along the lines replacing the original tires with some wore out "spares" he had.

Kay bought it after some haggling and it now has a new home...

Norm

Are you a prepper?  "No, whats a prepper? I am just a mildly OCD farmer"

Online TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: "Shorty"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
Man I?m jelly. I?ve been wanting something very similar and emp proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
Fist step.... it's new temp home

The "power plant"

Outside the cave...

The next step is under review. Kay wants to keep it largely stock appearing...So to that end goal  a serious evaluation is required.

Engine: It runs smooth and solid, 45psi oil pressure, quiet, typical assorted Jeep stumbles at idle.
Tranny: Shifts fine, solid and pretty much your typical T18
Transfercase: Same as above,a model 20, hard to find fault with these.
Axles: Drum brake Dana 30 front, Drum brake Dana 44 rear. The power lock in the rear is "semi functional" The brakes are new and almost stop in your average old Jeep way.
Steerng: Manual..tight, works fine, the school bus sized steering wheels horn even works. (odd)
Body/frame: Very solid, two small, almost to be expected spots of rust in whats called the "hat channels" under the front most body mounts. (Jeep used wood in these to stop them from crushing)....the wood caused as it always does, a small amount of rust. There is a small amount of rust in a pinch weld in the rear under the one taillight...maybe a dime in size. Floors still have paint on most of them inside and underneath. The frame....still has most it's paint. It measure straight as any Jeep I have seen and is unmolested.

So now what?

Norm

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Kays "plan" : She wants it to stay looking original as possible but "update" a few things to make it more useful in it's intended role.

The springs are 44 years old, although holding up well they are rather "soft" something you wouldn't complain about on a Jeep normally LoL That said it sways around a fair amount with it's hard top, and the wore out shocks/springs/tires. So this will be the first change...

She is thinking some wheel vintiques 8" wide wheels that look just like the OEM 5.5" wheels. These will slightly widen the stance which can't hurt. Some fresh BDS Military wrapped 2" lift springs. (word has it these are almost zero lift in reality) and some new gas shocks I imagine.

She is debating what tires she wants, something in the 30x9.50 range it sounds like. I am sure a MT tread that can cope with it's intended use.

We have a old Cherokee sport out behind a barn that is basically scrap. She claims it can provide it's pulleys, power steering pump/alternator and steering box. It also she says can donate it's power steering box as well.

She then claims it can also donate it's 4.0 HO Head, exhaust manifold, and that they are worth 40hp on that old 258. (couldn't hurt)
That will be topped with a yet to be found 2bbl intake, and a Ford 2bbl carb which should work exceptionally well off road and on.

She has "requisitioned" a old mid 70's Jeep wagoneer front axle from my pile of parts. Sounds like she plans to narrow it to just over stock CJ width, install a locker,disk brakes and toss it under Shorty. I am sure she also has plans for the some traction adding "something" in the rear axle as well.

A roll bar. recovered original seats, and eventually some paint and address the small rust issues and call it ready to go to work..... hence this thread. Ya all can follow along and do what you do and discuss something else while we build a Jeep LoL

Norm

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
I like it Norm/Kay. Simple, practical as a gravel floor in a barn (All four walls and a roof is a barn, right???)
Site owner    IS 6:8  Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author: Distant Thunder

Online stlaser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
That truck ain?t ever gunna get built...... :popcorn:
Unretired, sweeping floor at GLO once again & making coffee.

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
LoL Shawn... the "truck" took a huge leap forward when she bought this Jeep. The Jeep "purchase" was tied to a promise she would not race the entire autocross season this year, and just compete in local autocross/standing mile events. This free's up a LOT of preparation time on the Mustangs...She also agreed to sell the yellow Chevy.

She can change springs/wheels tires without my help. Actually most everything she wants to do she can handle. Trust me she can run a credit card when she wants to.

As soon as I get a week of nice enough weather to spray some paint, the "truck" will start going together. In the mean time the old Yellow Chevy needs to be reassembled,engine installed, and out of my shop and put up for sale. Freeing "Dodge space" finally. I have tell June, whats the hurry? 

Norm

Online stlaser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »
Squeeze some wheel inspection in there soon too please...... :wink:
Unretired, sweeping floor at GLO once again & making coffee.

Online KensAuto

• Just call me Bounty.... always absorbing abuse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »
WOW Norm, that's a nice Jeep!!!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
Thanks Ken... I am kinda looking forward to her turning it into a lil Swiss Army Knife of a vehicle.

Norm

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Norm, I'm with TRN. Jelly.. great find. Looks like a fun project.

Any idea what she wants for the yellow Chevy?  :laugh:
Mike
2008 D-Max pretty stock except small lift, tires, and intake.

Offline OldKooT

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
I think the Chevy will go down the road around $3k  At that price point it will run and drive.  Bring a trailer, it will still need rubber....and refinement. LoL  Engine is out right now getting some work done to it to make it reliable and semi fresh.

If it doesn't sell at that price point, I will put some 1 ton axles I have and other parts in it and move it higher.

Norm

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Sounds like a good price. Are there other pics of it on here?  Standard 350 engine?  Auto or manual? 

I need a shop first but looks interesting.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
2008 D-Max pretty stock except small lift, tires, and intake.