Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chinooks  (Read 44660 times)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Chinooks
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »
That came about during desert storm. We started shooting ammunition called "Slap"
You probably won't find out a whole lot about it
But the plastic sabots pouring out of the gun were collecting on the engine inlets...ya, not so good

So with 4000 rounds per second streaming out, we had to keep the junk out of the horsepower makers which kept the crews and Lycoming happy

I don't see how that shoot does anything to help with the SLAP-T sabots, seeing as they come out the end of the barrel before peeling away from the projectile. BTW, SLAP-T .50cal rounds go through a lot of things like a hot knife through butter. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
That came about during desert storm. We started shooting ammunition called "Slap"
You probably won't find out a whole lot about it
But the plastic sabots pouring out of the gun were collecting on the engine inlets...ya, not so good

So with 4000 rounds per second streaming out, we had to keep the junk out of the horsepower makers which kept the crews and Lycoming happy

I don't see how that shoot does anything to help with the SLAP-T sabots, seeing as they come out the end of the barrel before peeling away from the projectile. BTW, SLAP-T .50cal rounds go through a lot of things like a hot knife through butter. ;-)
You're right, forgot about that. Well they ended up in those engine screens in clumps. I'm sure a goodly number of them were ingested as well.
So you made me think back some. The casings were running down the side of the aircraft causing some FOD damage, but all those links and brass roller bearings were trippin up a bunch of snake eaters too. I may be junking up the actual story, but I think that is right.
Site owner    IS 6:8  Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author: Distant Thunder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
Oh and I recall the first time we lit up a BMP or maybe it was a PT-76 with a burst, the darned thing caught fire. I was amazed! An anti-tank Chinook...Who knew?

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 20, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
Yeah. I know the .50 SLAP-T would go through anything short on an MBT.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 20, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »
Thanks for goi g on about the SLAP rounds. It gave me something to watch while I was holding the baby last night on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 20, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
There's no doubt at all watching a minigun burst as to whether the ammo is Slap or the regular stuff!